Spyder Garage

Default 2008 RS/GS Spyder Output Bearing

I have a whine coming from the front pulley area. I do not have accessory belt tensioner on the bike. I have checked the output shaft bearing by taking the belt off the front pulley and spinning the pulley. There is no play in or out and no play up and down, and no roughness in the bearing felt when turning the pulley by hand. When I spin the pulley I hear a slight mechanical noise, or should it be dead silent?

Last edited by bfmtrader; 06-28-2014 at 11:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

the shaft is attached to other parts which bring up the question..do you have a belt tensioner on the roadster..?? They tend to make such noises. Those earlier model had a much higher belt tension and those bearings would go out. Brp latter changed it to a lower setting for this reason. The belt can also make such noises if ryding to close to the edges..try running through the gears to see if there is a whine without the belt in place...good luck..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bfmtrader View Post
    I have a whine coming from the front pulley area. I do not have accessory belt tensioner on the bike. I have checked the output shaft bearing by taking the belt off the front pulley and spinning the pulley. There is no play in or out and no play up and down, and no roughness in the bearing felt when turning the pulley by hand. When I spin the pulley I hear a slight mechanical noise, or should it be dead silent?

It could be the rear drive bearings that are making the noise or even the belt, try some belt dressing on the belt. Check the belt for cracks, holes, and missing teeth. That's IMHO.

Mike