Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    Car tires have been shown to last a lot longer but BRP put the Kenda's on there for a reason and I'm sticking with it.

Profit

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

Couple of things I noticed from ryders I have met. Some don't know which is the wear bar and which is the rain blocks. Shoddy dealers have convinced them they needed new tires before they really did. I ryde hard and just now changed my oem Kenda at 20,000 miles. I run a bit low on the air pressure so to get full contact at speeds and even wear. The other factor is the actual road construction and roads traveled, the weather and tire temps reached while ryding. There is the model roadster and the ryder. The 14's I feel have the problem that many are upgrading and are used to cranking down to get to the torque range at higher rpms. The increased horse power and the low end torque is wearing the tires out quicker and they feel they got a bad batch as well. I don't throw the milk out because the sell by date has passed, I do when it comes out like cottage cheese... Jmo
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Acceptable or not that is about the norm for OEM. I have 8500 miles on mine and it's down to the wear bars but I think I can make it until I have the 9300 mile service done and then I'll have the dealer mount another Kenda OEM while it's in for routine service. Car tires have been shown to last a lot longer but BRP put the Kenda's on there for a reason and I'm sticking with it.
    I understand those who have this approach.

BRP certainly has a reason for every component installed (or not installed). But to assume that the reason is 'Best Possible Part or Component for the job' is going to be off the mark. In general, the truth is that BRP (or any manufacturer) is going to use the materials which at least meet the minimum requirements needed to achieve the established goal for the least amount of cost.

In other words, you're looking at a weighted matrix which determines the quality of each component. Highest quality and best possible performance are seldom of greatest concern. And for good reason. You might be looking at a $250,000.00 machine if BRP approached the Spyder in this way. Plus the fact that most would not necessarily need or appreciate 'The Very Best' of everything.

Every vehicle is a compromise, including our Spyder. Some components are worth upgrading, some are not. This depends as much on the individuals needs/wants as it does in the quality of the original component.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Couple of things I noticed from ryders I have met. Some don't know which is the wear bar and which is the rain blocks. Shoddy dealers have convinced them they needed new tires before they really did. I ryde hard and just now changed my oem Kenda at 20,000 miles. I run a bit low on the air pressure so to get full contact at speeds and even wear. The other factor is the actual road construction and roads traveled, the weather and tire temps reached while ryding. There is the model roadster and the ryder. The 14's I feel have the problem that many are upgrading and are used to cranking down to get to the torque range at higher rpms. The increased horse power and the low end torque is wearing the tires out quicker and they feel they got a bad batch as well. I don't throw the milk out because the sell by date has passed, I do when it comes out like cottage cheese... Jmo

I've been thinking my rear tire was at the wear bars, but after your comments, maybe I have been looking at the rain blocks

Will have to have another more careful look. Thanks
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Very True! And some get more out of a tire than others....

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Stock size, 225-50-15

It would be nice to find a slightly larger rear tire to get closer on actual speed. But as far as I know they didn't make this in a 225-55-15.
    I used a 215/60/15 and it puts the speedo very close.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    One of the good tire size choices. You trade some tread width for a more accurate speedo/odometer.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    As a tire guy i can tell you 215x60R15 is a performance downgrade that would be noticeable at highway speeds & exit ramps.

Spyder Garage

Thailand? Seriously?

Why not ? The OEM Kenda is made in China.

- Bob

2014 Spyder Ltd. Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Default The mark..!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    I've been thinking my rear tire was at the wear bars, but after your comments, maybe I have been looking at the rain blocks

Will have to have another more careful look. Thanks
    If you look hard turning a whole revolution you will find a small triangle on the side of the tire. Across from that is the wear limit see picture below...
    20140408_173906.jpg hope you can see it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    As a tire guy i can tell you 215x60R15 is a performance downgrade that would be noticeable at highway speeds & exit ramps.
    I guess that would probably be true if you were talking about using the same model tire with only a change in size. But if you upgrade to a significantly higher UTQG rated tire, the one centimeter difference in width would probably be overcome by the higher quality construction and materials used in the new tire.

I run a 215-60-15 Michelin hyrdoedge, and I can personally attest that it performs better than the kenda, in every single aspect of riding, including highway speeds, where it balloons significantly less. Even treadwear, which we all know is a shortcoming of the kenda.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    Not to argue, just curios.

What would be the performance downgrade?

Spyder Garage

Had the Kumho Ecsta AST installed this morning and we went for a 300 mile ride that included the million dollar hi way (550) and my wife ask if I did something to make it handle better. I asked her in what way was it better. She said it doesn't squirm like it was in curves and it rides softer.
    I can understand the 4ply reducing the squirm, but riding softer

I told her the only difference is the rear tire.

Now all I need to get is better mileage out of it (anything better than 6000) and I will be a very very happy owner
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Not to argue, just curios.

What would be the performance downgrade?
    Yes please explain this down grade. Michelin Primacy 215/60/15
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by definitely View Post
    Acceptable or not that is about the norm for OEM. I have 8500 miles on mine and it's down to the wear bars but I think I can make it until I have the 9300 mile service done and then I'll have the dealer mount another Kenda OEM while it's in for routine service. Car tires have been shown to last a lot longer but BRP put the Kenda's on there for a reason and I'm sticking with it.

I rolled the dice and rode my bike home(2000km). I was on a road trip and no where near home when I first noticed my tire. Rear tire is now worn down in the middle almost like a racing slick(no wear bars or noticable tread left). I ran 28psi in the rear from the time I got the bike. Mileage now at 92k(aprox 5700miles) and I can't get in at my dealer for replacement until the 17th. I will for sure go with the Kuma....or another but deffinetly no more Kenda's.

Spyder Garage

Thailand? Seriously?
    As someone already pointed out, the Kenda is made in China. There are probably some car tires made in the U.S. that will hopefully fit the Spyder. That is your call.

My trailer tires for my toy hauler are also made in Thailand. They are the best ten ply tires currently on the market. I would have bought the American made Goodyears if they even offered a ten ply. The Goodyears have also earned a pretty bad reputation among those with trailers for premature wear and failure. As much as I try to buy U.S. made product, sometimes it makes more sense to buy the best product. Not every product made overseas is crap. Oh...and those tires I bought were more expensive than the Goodyears even in the same ply count.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

I know which is the rain blocks & wear blocks. I am through the rain blocks and well into the wear blocks at 4750 miles. I have been lowering pressure to try to get more life out of them. But how low can I go? Either way no change the center still wears fast. It has nothing to do with the 14 RT and the 1330 engine, I am on my ST-L and I feel I will be lucky to see 6500 miles out of the oem tire.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

We have also been told by BRP techs that they got a bad batch of tires.

I have burned through many tires in my 75,000 miles on three spyders, a few of the OEM Kenda, some of the Kumhos, a couple of the Maxxis Vectras, and am now using the Toyo Proxes, which is also discontinued like the Kumho. The Kumhos were OK, the Maxxis was better, the Toyo Proxes was the best for traction and performance. I bought six of them when I learned they were discontinued. BajaRon likes this one as well, comes in the OEM size. I would not hesitate to again run the Maxxis Vectra, that is what I have on my original 2008 #006 Spyder right now.

It all depends on what your criteria is - longevity, cost, traction, wet pavement performance, speed rating, sidewall flex, what do YOU want? I know that I want a tire that is going to hold together at 100+ MPH, one that is going to grip the road when it is wet, one that lasts longer than the latest POS Kenda, one that isn't going to pop me $150 each time it is bald. The Kumho is getting tough to find, I know riders like this one but it is only fair at best. It IS perfectly OK to run a different size, preferably as close to stock diameter as possible. I have made many posts on what is acceptable size-wize, as have many others. I run my spyders long and hard, limit seeker for sure, and I know my nanny well, with stock and non-stock tires.

Bottom line, the latest Kenda rear tires are not lasting as long as the previous ones, and I REFUSE to replace the rear tire every time the oil is changed!

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS IS THE REASON FOR THE KENDA'S

.....To Mr. Findley....and anyone else who wants to know .....BRP made a deal with KENDA because they had to.....BRP was extremely short on funds ( if it weren't for Mitt Romney the Spyder never would have been built in case you didn't know this )......Kenda was willing to accommodate the needs of BRP in EXCHANGE for certain benefits that were going to prove financially lucrative to KENDA down the road .......LIKE WHAT.....how's this ...A TOTAL LOCK ON THE SALES OF SPYDER TIRES ......did you know you can buy all sorts of KENDA tires from all sorts of places ....But not Spyder tires.....you can only buy them from a BRP DEALER.......Pretty neat for KENDA ..........I hope this answers you question Mr Findley...........you didn't think it was their HIGH QUALITY ...did you ???? ..........................................Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Default What..!!

So what I'm seeing is : BRP, who is involved in manufacturing some of the finest airplanes, snowmobiles, personal watercrafts, off road 4 by's was on it's last leg when they decided to make the roadster (spyder). Along came Mitt Romney who brokered a deal with Kenda to scratch "For motorcycle use" on a bunch of rejected 2 ply auto tires that only brp could sell at an outrageous prices saving their butts. I must assume they also saved a bundle by not involving any engineers or research and development people in the whole tires needed cause skis don't work thing. All this so a small group of spyder ryders can spend a disproportionate amount of time online ing and moaning about their tires... All in fun...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That is the funniest thing I've seen here in a loooong time!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm probably the only one that actually likes my Kendas.....[emoji12]

Spyder Garage

So what I'm seeing is : BRP, who is involved in manufacturing some of the finest airplanes, snowmobiles, personal watercrafts, off road 4 by's was on it's last leg when they decided to make the roadster (spyder). Along came Mitt Romney who brokered a deal with Kenda to scratch "For motorcycle use" on a bunch of rejected 2 ply auto tires that only brp could sell at an outrageous prices saving their butts. I must assume they also saved a bundle by not involving any engineers or research and development people in the whole tires needed cause skis don't work thing. All this so a small group of spyder ryders can spend a disproportionate amount of time online ing and moaning about their tires... All in fun...

Spyder Garage

If you look hard turning a whole revolution you will find a small triangle on the side of the tire. Across from that is the wear limit see picture below...
    20140408_173906.jpg hope you can see it...

Thank you.

Found it & have 5/32nds still to go, so OK for a good while
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Car tire is on

Finally had a car tire mounted on the Spyder. WOW. What an improvement in the handling. Sticks to the curves like it was glued there. No more swishy rear in the turns. Don't know about the mileage yet. Too soon to tell. Will keep you posted.

Also had the Sirius antenna moved to the outside of the trunk. Totally solved the missed signal.
    All is good.