Spyder Garage

Question Center console switch blank question

Hi all,
    I am toying with the idea of installing additional head lights on my '14 RT.
    I was thinking of using the switch blank in the center console to locate the switch.

The questions: Not knowing what is behind the blank, can the switch be locate there ? And if so, is there a trick to taking that center blank off?
    Thanks
    Ron

Spyder Garage

Default blank

Quote Originally Posted by zbunker View Post
    Hi all,
    I was thinking of using the switch blank in the center console to locate the switch.

The questions: Not knowing what is behind the blank, can the switch be locate there ? And if so, is there a trick to taking that center blank off?
    Thanks
    Ron
    That is For 7pin connector For communications system Rider n psgr and CB function.

Freebob...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you DIDN'T HAVE an ACS-equipped bike; I'd say that there would be lots of clearance under that blank...
    When the dealer installed ACS in my 2010; he showed me the plug that got stuffed in under those switches.
    You might be very tight on space...
    I couldn't remove the blank panels on mine without an entire box (It seemed!) of tiny screwdrivers, tongue depressors, and knives...
    (It took me about a week of fussing with it!)
    There are some folks in here, who can tell you exactly how do it; I ain't one of them!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Zbunker,
    I am getting ready to do the same thing to control the underlighting on my '14 RT-S. I have popped out the center plug and there is plenty of room for a switch. I have ordered a waterproof marine switch that look identical to the other switches. Big issue will be the need to cut the switch console panel to make a rectangular opening instead of the existing round one. Would love to be able to pull the console panel to do the work but haven't been able to figure out how it is attached at the front by the glove box. The center button came out with a little work and some small screwdrivers like Bob mentioned.

CJ JAX

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If the switch panel is anything like the 2012 RT there are those plastic push in things on both sides and one that is....yes, under the middle blank hole to the rear. It took me a while to get it out with a small screwdriver and I could not figure a way to get it back in being under the panel and all so it was left off. I had a heck of a time getting the plugs back on the switches (not much slack in the wires). I had to use WD40 and a screwdriver from underneath. Good luck!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that they're called a Carling Tool... VRT-CAR-removaltool-3.jpg
    I believe that they're supposed to make short work of these sort of jobs...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zbunker View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks
    Ron
    You might want to take a look at a thread that was put up today entitled "Stopped By A Deputy Sheriff. Is has to do with too many headlights.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Center Console Switch

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    Zbunker,
    I am getting ready to do the same thing to control the underlighting on my '14 RT-S. I have popped out the center plug and there is plenty of room for a switch. I have ordered a waterproof marine switch that look identical to the other switches. Big issue will be the need to cut the switch console panel to make a rectangular opening instead of the existing round one. Would love to be able to pull the console panel to do the work but haven't been able to figure out how it is attached at the front by the glove box. The center button came out with a little work and some small screwdrivers like Bob mentioned.

CJ JAX
    Thanks, As far as the switch type, what I had in mind was to order a switch from the dealer that is identical to the fog light switch. It would show a light symbol, and if everything goes like written in the brochures should fit right in. I'm still not sure where to locate the relay.
    Ron

Spyder Garage

The blank pops right up. However, instead of a rectangular hole; instead, there is a round hole that is the exact same size as the round hole behind the cover below the left passenger handle. I too wanted to have a rectangular switch to match the other switches, so using a Dremel, I carefully shaped the hole to fit the rectangular switch. I used my switch to control my heated seats
    -Texas

Spyder Garage

So with some much needed guidance from Doc Riverside I was able to dismantle enough to remove the switch panel. The black push pins used in various locations are great for ease of dis-assembly and reassembly EXCEPT for the one securing the front of the switch console. That one pin is what forces all the necessary parts removal. Used a simple waterproof marine switch with a green led (to match the lighting it is controlling) which matches the other switches for $6. That entire panel could have been designed to snap in like the speaker grills making life a lot easier for negligible cost.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freebob View Post
    That is For 7pin connector For communications system Rider n psgr and CB function.

Freebob...
    Well, that explains something I've always wondered about the RT. I have never before seen a touring type bike that did not have a DIN connector for a wired headset. But then the RT does not have a built-in intercom either, so I guess that's why it's optional.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat