Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Stopped by Sheriff Deputy

This morning on my ride into work I was pulled over by a Deputy for having too many headlights.
    I told him other than the two LED light strips (on the A frame arms) the rest were factory installed.
    Legal limit is 4, not sure if he considered the fender tip lights as running light or head lights.
    He said because they were "factory installed" there was nothing he could do. So he said have a nice day!
    He said they have stopped people with new Jeep Grand Cherokees for the same reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

maybe he wanted a closer look... If they are not all on should not be a problem though I have never heard this one before. I have 8 if you count the fender lights 6 otherwise...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Did you have your fog lights on? I run with my fogs on all the time here. Also have the LEDs on the A arms. He'd have a full day here if he stopped everybody for too many headlights.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That guy is an idiot. The fender lights are marker lights, not headlights and its a shame that clown didn't have anything better to do. Almost all vehicles have marker lights at the front and rear corners of the vehicle and some vehicles have multiple.
    My Audi has OEM LEDs around the headlights. I bet there are a dozen around each light.....
    It really is a shame that many law enforcement communities have turned into big business harassment facilities.....

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Drew, I have to disagree. The deputy was doing what he thought was right by state law. He didn't issue a ticket even though he could have and left it up to a judge to decide. I think he did the right thing.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Drew, I have to disagree. The deputy was doing what he thought was right by state law. He didn't issue a ticket even though he could have and left it up to a judge to decide. I think he did the right thing.
    understood, however, something about hard earned tax dollars being paid to a guy to sit on the side of the road with nothing else better to do than counting the headlights on the vehicles passing....just irks me...[emoji57]
    especially a guy minding his own business and just trying to get to work on time. Its a shame when "state law" trumps "common sense"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jim's point is valid... The Deputy is paid to enforce the laws.
    Bad laws need to be changed; they can't be ignored!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Jim's point is valid... The Deputy is paid to enforce the laws.
    Bad laws need to be changed; they can't be ignored!
    I guess I'm just old school and remember a time when law enforcement professionals used common sense, instead of being the robot law enforcement drones that we know today.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I feel the same way... They used to throw the Drunk drivers in their squad cars, and give them a ride home...
    That time; has come and gone...

Spyder Garage

I had this issue during my last state safety inspection. The inspector said there could only be four front lights and he saw six . . . he went to his computer and looked at the WV Code . . . when he saw the term "head lamp" he decided to interpret it as the headlights, only, and ignore the other lamps . . . but warned me that I might get a ticket. Given that our county sheriff's office is riding a couple RTs, I'm probably good . . . at least near home!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A good law officer will usually gives you a warning especially if are nice too.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe we shouldn't go there...
    This was about an encounter with a Deputy, and an issue concerning how the law was being interpreted; let's leave it at that...
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Yes I did have my fog lights on this morning because of fog.

Spyder Garage

There is always the old addage.....The letter of the law & The spirit of the law. Cop did yhe right thing IMO. Crap we still have laws on the books in AZ that are rediculous that still havent been changed. Ie.... its against the law here to shoot a camel....really

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well; it DOES make the camels feel safer...

Woo-Hoo.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-25-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I feel the same way... They used to throw the Drunk drivers in their squad cars, and give them a ride home...
    That time; has come and gone...
    I did that once. Never again! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    This morning on my ride into work I was pulled over by a Deputy for having too many headlights.
    I told him other than the two LED light strips (on the A frame arms) the rest were factory installed.
    Legal limit is 4, not sure if he considered the fender tip lights as running light or head lights.
    He said because they were "factory installed" there was nothing he could do. So he said have a nice day!
    He said they have stopped people with new Jeep Grand Cherokees for the same reason.

Must have been one SLOW day in the Sheriff's Office...GOOD GRIEF! My wife got pulled over one morning in her Honda Civic for a headlight burned out....she had a replacement in her hand when he walked up to her car. The bozo turned his lights and siren on to pull her over at 6:30 a.m. Can you say OVER KILL? WOW
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well; is it that tough of a job to replace it?
    She had the part; maybe just no time??
    The LEO gets paid to enforce the laws; would you rather that they not?

Spyder Garage

It looks like you're legal. Color does not count. You cannot have more than 4 lights projecting a beam forward with a candlepower greater than 300 each. Your headlights and foglights would total up to 4 but the other lights are not bright enough to count.

The 300 candlepower limit appears to be the common standard across many states.

MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
    Act 300 of 1949

257.685 Head lamps; number; modulator; height; auxiliary, spot, or other lamp; exemption.Sec. 685.
    (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a motor vehicle shall be equipped with at least 2 head lamps with at least 1 head lamp on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, in compliance with this chapter. An implement of husbandry manufactured on or after January 1, 2007 shall comply with section 684a.
    (2) A motorcycle or moped shall be equipped with at least 1 and not more than 2 head lamps that comply with this chapter.
    (3) A motorcycle or moped head lamp may be wired or equipped to allow either its upper beam or its lower beam, but not both, to modulate from a higher intensity to a lower intensity. A head lamp modulator installed on a motorcycle or moped with 2 head lamps shall be wired in a manner to prevent the head lamps from modulating at different rates or not in synchronization with each other. A head lamp modulator installed on a motorcycle or moped shall meet the standards prescribed in 49 CFR 571.108.
    (4) Every head lamp upon a motor vehicle shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands.
    (5) When a motor vehicle equipped with head lamps as required in this section is also equipped with auxiliary lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front of the motor vehicle projecting a beam of an intensity greater than 300 candlepower, not more than a total of 4 of those lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at a time when upon a highway.
    (6) A motor vehicle licensed as an historic vehicle is exempt from the requirements of this section if the vehicle as originally equipped failed to meet these requirements. An historic vehicle shall not be operated in violation of section 684.

History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949 ;-- Am. 1957, Act 22, Imd. Eff. Apr. 19, 1957 ;-- Am. 1976, Act 439, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1977 ;-- Am. 1978, Act 55, Imd. Eff. Mar. 10, 1978 ;-- Am. 2006, Act 14, Imd. Eff. Feb. 9, 2006 ;-- Am. 2006, Act 453, Imd. Eff. Dec. 14, 2006

© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

2018 F3 LIMITED

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Define headlight. Not counting fender marker lights I have 6 factory lights on the front of my RT Ltd. 2 Fog lights (that I always have on), to LED clusters, one next to each headlight, and 2 headlights.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Back "In the day" lights were from federal law requirements. It has always been 4 headlights on cars. In the day of 4 lights on with high beam the fog lights had to be off when high beams were on. Today the hi/low beams are usually the same light. The fog lights were suppose to turn off when high beam lights come on. This is because of candlelight power. I am not an engineer and do not know that rating. Also, side lights are exactly that....yellow on front side and red on rear side.

Now in reality....I ride with high beams on all the time during the day. Fog lights and low beam at night for on-coming traffic.

Maybe something has changed since i retired 11 yrs ago.

Now, how can you denigrate an officer for doing his/her job? AND it was stated that common sense should be used. I think in this case he/she did that. No ticket issued. Or did I miss something.

These laws were made so we are not blinded by oncoming traffic. If left to the individual can you imagine the lighting options that would be taken? How about the off road trucks with the spot lights above the cab of the truck. Ever been blinded by those? I have.
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HEADLIGHTS OR OTHERWISE

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    I'm an X-LEO of 35 + years and back in the day that Deputy would be known in the barracks as a P*SSY................Any one can administer the Law from a book , even a Monkey , but it's the real Cops who know how to APPLY IT .....AND WHEN....AND TO WHOM...........case closed .......Mikeguyver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vidman View Post
    Now, how can you denigrate an officer for doing his/her job? AND it was stated that common sense should be used. I think in this case he/she did that. No ticket issued. Or did I miss something.
    Thank you...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vidman View Post
    Back "In the day" lights were from federal law requirements. It has always been 4 headlights on cars. In the day of 4 lights on with high beam the fog lights had to be off when high beams were on. Today the hi/low beams are usually the same light. The fog lights were suppose to turn off when high beam lights come on. This is because of candlelight power. I am not an engineer and do not know that rating. Also, side lights are exactly that....yellow on front side and red on rear side.

Now in reality....I ride with high beams on all the time during the day. Fog lights and low beam at night for on-coming traffic.

Maybe something has changed since i retired 11 yrs ago.

These laws were made so we are not blinded by oncoming traffic. If left to the individual can you imagine the lighting options that would be taken? How about the off road trucks with the spot lights above the cab of the truck. Ever been blinded by those? I have.
    I agree with what you say. But, don't forget you're on spyderlovers where someone has to complain about something, otherwise the day wouldn't be complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I guess I'm just old school and remember a time when law enforcement professionals used common sense, instead of being the robot law enforcement drones that we know today.

I think it is common sense for a cop to stop a possible traffic violator. It is also common sense for the cop to realize he made a mistake and then not do anything. It is not the responsibility of a cop to know the design features of every single vehicle manufactured. That is why it was appropriate for the OP to tell the cop that the lights were OEM equipment. Maybe from this, the cop will learn a little bit about Spyders.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe