Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RT Limited Heat problems

Being a new Spyder rider with only 1200 miles on it, what kind of heat problems can I expect and what can be done to correct the problems?

I bought the 2013 RTL as a brand new fresh out of the crate leftover and all of the recalls have been done.

So far my wife and I love the Spyder and look forward to ride it whenever we can.

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i have a 2013 RTS S SM5 and have no heat problem the only problem i was having was not getting any air flow to i and the wife i would recommend you get baker wings they do a great job to get air to you and your wife

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...uilt-Air-Wings

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well it's a tough one to answer clearly, some have prolific heat issues that never end and can not be fixed and some have no issues at all. I am one of the unlucky one's!
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a tough question to answer...
    While you shouldn't expect ANY problems; I'd try to keep it in mind that if you've got what appears to be an awful lot of hear coming up into your lap, or onto your right foot... it might be time to see what's going on under the Tupperware!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    Well it's a tough one to answer clearly, some have prolific heat issues that never end and can not be fixed and some have no issues at all. I am one of the unlucky one's!
    Not all of the 2013's have this problem but many do. I too am one of the unlucky ones. I had the ECM upgrade done, had the pipes wrapped and installed a Spyderpops lower block off plate to keep the heat off of my right foot. Still gets hot, but it is definitely better. Sadly, BRP has not really done much of anything to address these issues, nor do they seem inclined to do so. But my wife and I ride a lot anyway, and as long as you are moving along it is not too bad. You will notice it more in stop & go traffic. We have logged 3,731 miles since taking the out of winter storage in late April. My advice is to just ride & enjoy. Good luck, and I hope that you got one of the "cool" ones!
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Heat????

Had a '13 for a yr...road to Gettysburg, Pa from Montana in late June...not real heat issues...the right foot may get warm for some...but I didn't have a problem...there are deflector shield for the radiator to mitigate that issue...other than that stay out of the desert in the summer and you'll have no heat issues

Spyder Garage

Ensure all the BUDS updates and recalls are completed . . . it does get hot under the Tupperware, but since the most recent BUDS update, I don't have the issues I had, last year. That said, when the radiator fan kicks in and my right foot is on the highway pegs, my leg gets HOT! . . . Solution? I put it back on the floorboard. I don't plan to install the block off plate on mine, because I'd rather have my foot hot, that the engine overheating, and on the 2013 RT, there isn't the space underneath, to open up and allow the heat a different escape route . . . I just returned from a five day trip down Skyline Drive and over the "Back of the Dragon" and my Spyder performed, flawlessly. Day one was over 300 miles, over 10 hours . . . and no excessive heat (other than from mother nature . . . it was HOT out!)

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default Hard to say..!!

you should ryde it and see if you have a heat problem. The earlier models had some with issues but not as many as it would seem. I'm sure you will find no problem on the later ones with all the changes done. Remember there will be heat and more so in the summer. You are very close to a rather large combustion engine producing considerable heat as they all do. So ryde and enjoy and avoid heavy traffic ryde the roads less traveled....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't

Don't expect heat issues and you won't have any. The worst thing you can do is read this forum and assume you will have heat issues. Just ride, there is some heat that comes off the radiator on the right side, but quite frankly I have found that a good pair of ryding boots takes care of that. Ryde and enjoy, remember the few complaints that you read are from the same people over and over again. Your ryde is your ryde and you will love every minute of it.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you live in New Jersey as your profile states, I wouldn't expect any heat problems. Take a trip down my way and you'll need shuttle class heat shielding on your high quality riding boots. Despite what some may claim, the folks in southwest aren't imagining things and no amount of positive thinking, thick boots or much of anything will reduce the burning sensation on the right foot and leg area. Folks have posted pictures of burned flesh and others won't believe it.

You'll likely have no such issues riding in your area. I certainly never had an issue traveling 100 miles north of the blast furnace known as Phoenix. In the defense of us whacked southerners, you have to ride the thing to get out of the heat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Don't expect heat issues and you won't have any. The worst thing you can do is read this forum and assume you will have heat issues. Just ride, there is some heat that comes off the radiator on the right side, but quite frankly I have found that a good pair of ryding boots takes care of that. Ryde and enjoy, remember the few complaints that you read are from the same people over and over again. Your ryde is your ryde and you will love every minute of it.

I agree and remember that it is a motorcycle and motorcycles give off a lot of heat. If you are sitting at a red light for a couple of minutes and its 95 deg out and the asphalt is 150 deg and the motor is 200 deg everything is going to get warm and I don't think that you will want to hug the plastic with bare legs like some people think that you should be able to.
    I wasn't experiencing any excessive heat but to make mine better I did wrap my pipes, insulate the fuel tank and remove the intake air filter resonator plastic and installed a after market intake. This opens up the front of the engine and lets amore air thru. There are plenty of threads on this subject.
    The Baker Air Wings do help a lot as long as you are moving.

enjoy the ride
    2015 RTS Ltd Spyderpops bumpskid, Dual Isci Hand Brake ,Baker Wind Wings

2016 Polaris Slingshot SL

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Omcge View Post
    I agree and remember that it is a motorcycle and motorcycles give off a lot of heat. If you are sitting at a red light for a couple of minutes and its 95 deg out and the asphalt is 150 deg and the motor is 200 deg everything is going to get warm and I don't think that you will want to hug the plastic with bare legs like some people think that you should be able to.
    I wasn't experiencing any excessive heat but to make mine better I did wrap my pipes, insulate the fuel tank and remove the intake air filter resonator plastic and installed a after market intake. This opens up the front of the engine and lets amore air thru. There are plenty of threads on this subject.
    The Baker Air Wings do help a lot as long as you are moving.

enjoy the ride
    I agree with you both I can't tell you how many Harley's I have seen shutting down for over heating while wating to get into weirs beach I read all the threads out there and still got a 2013 RTS SM5 for $19300 out the door I could not pass it up and I love my bike like I said even better whit the baker wings