Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default st quit shifting

i took my spyder in for its first service. tomorrow will be 3 weeks. i have called a few times on updates but today they tell me they done the service the updates and recalls but now it wont shift... at all. so they got to order a special tool to get it open and see what the problem is. i know the 13 st had a few issues but i didnt see this coming now im sad there is nothing to fill this hole, this void in my life cept maybe chocolate

also and the reason for the edit. but i dont lug the motor. im no speed demon but i had done a bit of research about the spyder and i knew from the start about rpm shift points
    Last edited by govner; 06-24-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Very interested in knowing what exactly they find.

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

is it an Se5 or an Sm5..?? Seems extreemly odd that it will not shift at all. Gotta ask..did they put oil back in it..?? Three weeks for first service scares me to start with. Sorry to hear..good luck..!! How can they be a dealer and not have the tools...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

se5 sorry but yeah 3 weeks was odd. they went to a school/class the first week then i was told as soon as a rack opened up they would get to it now not shifting. the tool thing yeah. i dont know either seems like they would have the appropriate tools since its not the newest thing on the market. they have a very good reputation by most ppl so i am conflicted

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most of the shifting problems are due to low oil. When checking per the manual, you should have some oil on the dipstick, if not then it's at least a half qt low and can cause shifting problems.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Low oil could be the problem....but have them replace your clutch...the 13's have warpped clutch plates

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

worked for dealerships and we went to update seminars, new model seminars we always had the latest tools needed to work on the new models. So I find it strange that they would be dealers without have all the tools nessesary to work on the roadsters. First services were always handled one day to the next. But I don't know this dealer or how well he is staffed. Do hope they get you going soon...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    Low oil could be the problem....but have them replace your clutch...the 13's have warpped clutch plates

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yeah I just took it in for its first oil change. Took them 3 werks to get to it now it has the shifting problem and no tool to work on it. Its the only dealer/mechanic. For quite a distance. Due to work I wasnt able to go up there. But I will be today. There is a ecm update or recall ? Could that be part of the problem. I hoping they just didnt forget to add oil before they rode it down the street.
    Last edited by govner; 06-25-2014 at 09:42 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hate to ask this one ...
    Could the shift linkage simply have worked itself loose?
    We hear of this often enough... Not knowing your dealer; they may have simply not looked at the simplist possiblility...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So im sitting at the dealership parking lot no happier now than when I arrived. Apparently after the update was done the air pressure that is used to shift is not working. They got it to shift now but its very weak. They had to order a tool ...... shipped from Canada no news of when it will arive "we are still waiting" he says. But the tool will measure the air pressure. Says its not clutch packs no metals in the oil just the actuator that is used to shift low air pressure.
    Most ppl praise this place. Ive herd of very little bad from anyone. So I will assume they are not doing me wrong. I just bought it new 3 months ago and one of those its been in the shop . Missing prime riding weather

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

AIR pressure??
    Unless I'm completetely off-base with my line of thinking (NOT entirely impossible!), the SE-5 transmission is triggered electronically...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I think they are lurking in the forums haha they just called my spyder will be ready tomorrow. It will be slowish going into first from neutral but everything else is fine. When the part arrives I can bring it back to be fixed. But he is unsure when the part will arrive so no sence in it sitting at the shop.
    And sbout the electronic part he said the ecm ? Ecu ? Update might be what triggered the issue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you're making progress!
    Let us know how it runs...

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    AIR pressure??
    Unless I'm completetely off-base with my line of thinking (NOT entirely impossible!), the SE-5 transmission is triggered electronically...
    Electronically yes, but as far as I know it uses hydraulic pressure from the engine oil to move the shift linkage, not air pressure.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's why I used the word, "triggered"...
    I was only about 97.24% sure that if there was any air in the system; it was a mistake!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Make sure YOU check the oil when you get it back, just to be sure.....
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Particularly if they think that the shifting is handled by compressed air!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Picked the spyder up. not fixed. Once it has warmed up it has a hard time shifting from neutral to first I found a little throttle bumps it in there. Guy said its supposed to have 140 psi to shift its at approximately 75. I asked him if therecwas a vacuum line or something. Said no not like that. But something makes me believe he is as confused as me. Just figured if I never let off the throttle I wont notice the problem lol. Was nice to be back on the road oh how I have missed thee

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by govner View Post
    Picked the spyder up. not fixed. Once it has warmed up it has a hard time shifting from neutral to first I found a little throttle bumps it in there. Guy said its supposed to have 140 psi to shift its at approximately 75. I asked him if therecwas a vacuum line or something. Said no not like that. But something makes me believe he is as confused as me. Just figured if I never let off the throttle I wont notice the problem lol. Was nice to be back on the road oh how I have missed thee

I would guess continuing to use it as is may mess up something else?

Perhaps it needs the hydraulic shifting mechanism replaced?