Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Engine / Transmission Vibration

I have about 2500 miles on my 13 RTS SE5. Last Saturday while slowing down for a stop sign, (tranny was downshifting on its own) I heard a loud "clunk" or crack noise when it went from 2nd to 1st. Kind of like a tooth breaking on a gear. Anyway kept going and put about 100 miles on that day with no noticeable issues except towards the end I felt like there was more vibration in my feet. When I got home I checked the belt and both pulleys and there is no rock damage to either pulley's or belt.

I put about 50 miles on it last night, and when pulling it out of the garage the the bike really vibrated as the clutch was engaging. This starting out vibration went away when the oil / engine warmed up.

During the ride I know I feel more vibration in my feet and bars now, but after reading about others with this issue I'm sure if I bring it to the dealer they will say its normal.

I'm thinking that if something happened in the transmission I would have more issues, and if it was the clutch there would also be more problems, but this new vibration must be related to the initial 2 to 1 gear change noise I heard as that is when it started.

I've got warranty, but just a hassle to trailer to the dealer to have them not diagnose anything. Maybe I just have to keep driving it till it gets worse if it does. That is if it ever warms up here in northern MN!

Anyone have any thoughts / suggestions on this?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When the bike goes "CRACK!", and is vibrating more than it ever had before; it's time to call the dealer...
    Sorry...
    It's not going to heal itself, and it'll only bust completely, at the LEAST opportune moment that it can find!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I agree, take it to the dealer. Don't wait for a catastrophe to happen and get stranded.

Spyder Garage

Change your oil. See if you have any metal parts on the oil plug magnets.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

this will let you know if something broke in the gearbox. Don't think this will give you the vibration as much as clutch parts magneto parts or blancers/counter balacer gears or shafts. Perhaps bearings. If nothing visible take it to the dealer...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Call dealer, if he good he will say bring it in asap.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks. I agree and will call the dealer tomorrow. Now the hassle of unloading 4 snowmobiles to use the trailer but at least will get the chance to do some lawn "aeration"!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Aeration"???
    For some reason; I was under the impression that they didn't allow studded tracks in your State?
    (I should keep better track of these things! )
    Anyway; Good luck, and Please let us know what ithey find!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Our 2012 RT SE5 will "Chatter" a bit in the clutch when moving it out of the garage at start-up when cold. After warm-up it is smooth as silk.

Only you know it there is an increased vibration after the noise you herd. My self, I get paranoid and imagine things after an incident like that. I would get it checked out.

My $.02

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    "Aeration"???
    For some reason; I was under the impression that they didn't allow studded tracks in your State?
    (I should keep better track of these things! )
    Anyway; Good luck, and Please let us know what ithey find!
    No studs allowed on blacktop trails but elsewhere ok. I actually dont run studs anymore but the deep lugs track do a nice job on the lawn if youre not careful with your thumb!

I took the Spyder for a quick 8 mile run tonight to verify the vibration and the floorboards vibrate just like a shaver at 5 to 5500 rpm. Will bring it to the dealer Saturday. Called them today and sounds like they are up for the challenge but Ill know more once they test drive it.

Spyder Garage

Will also concur. An unusual noise followed by vibration that was not there before = red flags to me.

I also suggest taking it to the dealer before something worse happens and strands you or worse.

Do keep us informed as to the outcome.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well, brought it to the dealer, and they test drove it and agreed the vibration is not normal... They didn't have time to work on it but plan to call BRP on Monday as they have no idea the correlation between a loud crack noise when the 2 / 1 shift occurred and the resulting vibration. The head mechanic rode it about 5 miles and said his feet were vibrating or numb when he got back so at least the problem wasn't just "imagined".... I'll keep this thread updated as I have not heard of this issue before.

Spyder Garage

Default What was the end result?

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK REV 800 X View Post
    Well, brought it to the dealer, and they test drove it and agreed the vibration is not normal... They didn't have time to work on it but plan to call BRP on Monday as they have no idea the correlation between a loud crack noise when the 2 / 1 shift occurred and the resulting vibration. The head mechanic rode it about 5 miles and said his feet were vibrating or numb when he got back so at least the problem wasn't just "imagined".... I'll keep this thread updated as I have not heard of this issue before.

What was the end result?

Thanks

For God So Loved the world...

Started 2014 with a 2013 RT-S SE5. Wrecked it April 2019 with a 200lb hog! I am Blessed because if that was a two wheel motorcycle, DPS said without a shadow of a doubt I would have been dead! Thank you Can-Am! The issue I had with GIECO is they told me not to take anything off the Spyder when I brought it in to their claims center because they paid it out as a total. I just had ELKA put on all around and over $7,000 in Farkle that I am having to replace all that I could have taken off the '13. Bought a 2014 with only 3728 miles! Love it! My therapy!