Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ctpaddler2000 View Post
    More important to this thread, Vidman needs to changes his tagline.
    There.....
    Last edited by Vidman; 07-01-2014 at 06:02 AM.
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

Spyder Garage

I started a program like this in the State of Virginia back in 2001/2010. looks like it was passed, so now you can get an M. M2 or M3 on your license. If you have an M

Spyder Garage

Default SoCar

here's what i received back from my South Carolina State Senator:
    South Carolina General Assembly
    118th Session, 2009-2010

Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format

A42, R100, H3347

STATUS INFORMATION

(A42, R100, H3347)
    AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 56-1-143, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES GIVING APPLICANTS FOR CERTAIN SERVICES THE OPTION TO MAKE A VOLUNTARY CONTRIBUTION TO DONATE LIFE OF SOUTH CAROLINA, SO AS TO INCREASE THE AMOUNT THAT MAY BE DONATED; AND TO AMEND SECTION 56-1-130, AS AMENDED, RELATING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES' EXAMINATION TO OBTAIN A DRIVER'S LICENSE, SO AS TO DELETE THE PROVISIONS THAT RELATE TO THE THREE-WHEEL VEHICLE EXAMINATION AND THE NONCOMMERCIAL ENDORSEMENT TO THE MOTORCYCLE CLASSIFICATION, AND TO PROVIDE THAT A BASIC DRIVER'S LICENSE AUTHORIZES THE LICENSEE TO OPERATE CERTAIN MOTORCYCLE THREE-WHEEL VEHICLES.

read the entire Bill if you'd like....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default July 9 2014 Update

BRP and CT DMV rep are now talking one on one about the 2 free loaners from BRP and I assume setting up a 3 wheel program also. Hopefully we'll have an agreement soon.
    More later

Spyder Garage

Great info Mindman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

Registered Users EnjoyingTheRyde's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Agree!

I totally agree with this... Cage license for a cage, 2 wheel license for 2 or 3 wheels, and a 3 wheel license for 3... But the sit in/on brings up a little different angle though...

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    My opinion, FWIW:

1. You should not be allowed to operate a Spyder on a car license. Too different. At the very least, the safety/responsibilities of riding an exposed vehicle should require separate education/testing. For example, the MSF BRC addresses those items, while auto education/testing does not.

2. You should be allowed to operate a Spyder on a 2-wheeler license. Learning to ride a motorcycle is harder than riding a Spyder, but the majority of the skills, safety considerations and riding laws translate. Yes, you need practice to become a good Spyder rider, but that's not an onerous requirement.

3. There should be a separate 3-wheel designation on licenses that can be obtained by testing on the Spyder. This should grant you the ability to ride 3 wheels, but not 2. You can go from two-wheels to three in an afternoon; going from three-wheels to two takes a LOT more work (FYI, I hope to have a big fun post on that topic in a few days ).

Virginia used to have one M license that covered everything. I got my M license in 2011 taking a 3-wheel course on a Spyder (Evergreen Motorcycle Training offered a class comparable to the MSF BRC). By Virginia law, I had a motorcycle license, I could legally operate two-wheels just the same as a Spyder (or conventional trike, or hack-- note, a hack doesn't ride like a Spyder either!).

In 2013, Virginia switched to three separate licenses: M, M2 and M3. M2 allows you to ride two-wheels, M3 allows three, and M allows both (you need to pass both a separate 2-wheel and a 3-wheel course/test, however).

Personally, I think that's overkill-- again, IMO M2 should cover bikes *and* trikes-- but that's the way the law works, so there ya go.

Bottom line: I support distinct licensing, at least in part, and I'd rather have the cumbersome distinct licensing like they have in Virginia versus no distinctions at all.

More to come on this, hopefully this weekend
    His: 2012 HD Tri Glide Ember Red/Merlot
    Hers: 2012 Can Am Spyder
    RT-S Quantum Blue Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mindman View Post
    BRP and CT DMV rep are now talking one on one about the 2 free loaners from BRP and I assume setting up a 3 wheel program also. Hopefully we'll have an agreement soon.
    More later

I'm in Norwalk CT, and currently operating with a permit. The permit is good for 60 days, and I can renew it for an additional 60 days one time per calender year. Hopefully, by time I have to actually get the endorsement, the 3-wheeler test will be available.

Will be closely watching this thread, and big thanks to mindman for starting this, and keeping on it!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Oct 1, 2014 Update

I got independent confirmation on the 3 wheel specific licensing from my dealer today. According to him:
    A). It is going to happen next year
    B). Mike's famous HARLEY DAVIDSON in New London will be the first (and currently only) site doing the training/testing. They have already received training on the 3-wheel training material and are working with CT DMV to set up the course.

Mike's does sell Spyders as well as Harleys, so from the State's perspective I can understand going with a dealer that sells Tri-Glides and Spyders. Hope there are more sites including the State's 2 year community college system to come. The issue will be - can they modify the current 2-wheeler sites to accommodate the course, and of course class scheduling so as not to make 2 wheel classes less available.

I also had previous confirmation from BRP on the licensing side that this was happening, but it's great to have independent confirmation. Right now BRP is waiting for a proposal from the state covering the free loaners.

More as this progresses.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS INFO NOT IMPORTANT NOW

​But Vermont had the same dilemma and woke up and changed their regs to allow a THREE wheel license only Option......Of course if you already have a MTC endorsement that will also cover the Spyder because it is LEGALLY a MTC.......Just thought you might like to know this ...........................The info is available thru VTDMV REGS ..........Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ​But Vermont had the same dilemma and woke up and changed their regs to allow a THREE wheel license only Option......Of course if you already have a MTC endorsement that will also cover the Spyder because it is LEGALLY a MTC.......Just thought you might like to know this ...........................The info is available thru VTDMV REGS ..........Mike
    Hi Mike....yep! I understand the situation. I have my M/C endorsement. I started pursuing this in late 2010 for my wife, and others like her that can't / don't want to learn on a 2-wheeler. My wife has bad knees and in no way could support a 2-wheeler with her legs. While many aspects of piloting a Spyder are the same as a 2-wheeler - things like lane positioning for visibility etc., the physical requirements are less for a spyder - specifically the leg strength and sense of balance required. It ONLY took 4 years for our state to get the message. I'm sure it's not due to only my efforts, but the growing cry from many prospective 3-wheel owners over the years.

Spyder Garage

Default IF THEY ARE CONSIDERING IT

Quote Originally Posted by mindman View Post
    Hi Mike....yep! I understand the situation. I have my M/C endorsement. I started pursuing this in late 2010 for my wife, and others like her that can't / don't want to learn on a 2-wheeler. My wife has bad knees and in no way could support a 2-wheeler with her legs. While many aspects of piloting a Spyder are the same as a 2-wheeler - things like lane positioning for visibility etc., the physical requirements are less for a spyder - specifically the leg strength and sense of balance required. It ONLY took 4 years for our state to get the message. I'm sure it's not due to only my efforts, but the growing cry from many prospective 3-wheel owners over the years.
    ...................Sometimes States like to see how other States have come up with WORKING LANGUAGE that meets criteria for their purpose.......just sayin....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    They have a separate 3 wheel course in Pa that my wife has taken. It was MSF and now she has the endorsement on her license. I have a motorcycle endorsement so I am good for both. Our training is free and we can get our license on the spot.
    Yes, here in PA the course is free but the trainee must provide the 3 wheeler to take it. I have my 2 wheel license for 15+ years. I am taking the 3 wheel course in a few weeks. PA also offers this course to out of state riders for 200.00 dollars. It never hurts to have more knowledge and practice.

Traded in - 2013 RT SE5 Limited - Pearl White
    Mods Mods
    Tri Axis handlebars
    GPS mount for the Tri Axis handlebars
    Ultimate seat with driver backrest
    Driver cup holder
    3rd Brake light -truck
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    Bayaron swaybar with Heim links
    Lidlox

Spyder Garage

WV also has the three wheel endorsement, but if you have a motorcycle license you can ride a Spyder with it. They also waive the road test if someone passes the MSF class. When I got my Spyder, I realized how different it was from my two-wheel experience and wanted to take a safety class. MSF only offered a two wheel class, and when I called them to see if I could use my Spyder in that class, the response was no.

I practiced with it until I could pass the state test for my endorsement, and then I scheduled myself for an out-of-state safety class for trikes, and spent four nights in a motel in Virginia, while taking a three day trike class offered by a traning facility that was associated with Evergreen, but is also now part of MSF. I learned a LOT about my Spyder and strongly suggest folks take a good training class targeted for what they are riding . . . even old dogs can learn new tricks!

When I got home, I started working with my State Delegate and he got the DMV to change it's policy, whereby they would recognize out-of-state safety courses for the license waiver, allowing trike folks around here to go where the trike classes are offered.

I don't feel an automobile driver's license is sufficient to ride a Spyder . . . it isn't a two-wheeler, either, although someone with two-wheel experience is aware of some of the many differences between being in the wind or in a cage.

You can't know too much about safe riding practices . . . IMHO

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Do you really believe it should be easier to allow someone on the road? a spyder can tip, it may be hard but in
    a crash it can happen, in an emergency situation people may not react correctly on a bike & will probably only
    hurt themselves. By making it a car license in order to ride what happens with the shmuck who rents one & then
    finds out it's not a car?
    How many 18 year olds think they know how to drift & wake up in a hospital e.r. finding out they are wrong?

Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    Do you really believe it should be easier to allow someone on the road? a spyder can tip, it may be hard but in
    a crash it can happen, in an emergency situation people may not react correctly on a bike & will probably only
    hurt themselves. By making it a car license in order to ride what happens with the shmuck who rents one & then
    finds out it's not a car?
    How many 18 year olds think they know how to drift & wake up in a hospital e.r. finding out they are wrong?
    .....​Mr.Spiderman you are not up to speed on this thread.......It is now the CONSENSUS that there should be a SEPARATE 3 wheel LICENSE available ......If you already have a MTC. license you are good to go ,but some three wheel training is recommended ........IMHO........Mike

Spyder Garage

o, o, thanks for clearing that up for me. my apologies to the schmucks.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Feb 20, 2015 Update

Hi All!
    Thought I'd pass this along to you. A bill was RAISED on the 18th for this legislative session. It is only beginning the process but everything I hear is positive. Public hearings is the next step. The gist of the bill is that:
    • It defines something called an autocycle which I assume is intended to cover the new Polaris Slingshot and future similar vehicles.
    • It changes the wording around the requirements for a motorcycle license to include taking a MSF course geared toward 3-wheelers, and granting a Motorcycle 3 wheel only endorsement.
    • It does allow for Private companies to offer the course as long as the course and company are approved by the DMV.
    • If you go through the bill, the blue text documents what is being changed.

Here's a link to the bill.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillsta...hich_year=2015

Lets hope this thing passes soon. It's about time !!

Windsor Locks, CT & Garden City South, NY
    Spyder Garage

This seems like a move in the right direction, some DMV branches have received revised licensing applications in their supply orders. The backs of the revised 229 & 229A list a "3" restriction for "Three Wheel Motorcycle Only". An observant agent happened to spot the change. No other information has yet to be passed down to the branches. But if the print shop is already printing new forms then they must think it will happen. Also the M/C manual now contains a section on Three Wheeled Bikes. http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/20/29/cycman.pdf

Spyder Garage

Default PA Motorcycle endorsement

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    They have a separate 3 wheel course in Pa that my wife has taken. It was MSF and now she has the endorsement on her license. I have a motorcycle endorsement so I am good for both. Our training is free and we can get our license on the spot.
    I have taken both the 2 wheel and 3 wheel MSF. Here in PA if you only take the 3 wheeler MSF your motorcycle endorsement is limited to 3 wheelers but if you take the 2 wheeler MSF you are good for both. I have been riding 2 wheelers for years but took the 3 wheeler course to be safer on my Spyder. There was a big difference and would highly suggest the course to anyone wanting to ride a 3 wheeler. And as stated above it is free here in PA for PA and only 200 for out of state riders.

Traded in - 2013 RT SE5 Limited - Pearl White
    Mods Mods
    Tri Axis handlebars
    GPS mount for the Tri Axis handlebars
    Ultimate seat with driver backrest
    Driver cup holder
    3rd Brake light -truck
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    Bayaron swaybar with Heim links
    Lidlox

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcpjan View Post
    I have taken both the 2 wheel and 3 wheel MSF. Here in PA if you only take the 3 wheeler MSF your motorcycle endorsement is limited to 3 wheelers but if you take the 2 wheeler MSF you are good for both. I have been riding 2 wheelers for years but took the 3 wheeler course to be safer on my Spyder. There was a big difference and would highly suggest the course to anyone wanting to ride a 3 wheeler. And as stated above it is free here in PA for PA and only 200 for out of state riders.
    Out of state MSF courses aren't accepted in CT. The ONLY exception is the MSF course run for active military personnel. Just putting that out there for any CT riders here looking for their family members.

Spyder Garage

Default current bill

Hi all
    Ride Ct ,Ride New England has a write up .
    It's stating the slingshot would still be excluded in current language .
    That it was written largely for the Elio , an enclosed 3 wheeler. .
    They contacted the bill creator.
    It sounds like they'll be reviewing , the polaris hadn't been in the sights
    So wondering if the spider will end up reclassified as an autocycle.
    I currently have the mc endorsement .
    Please do a search for autocycle ct , it will pop up.
    Burr my new 14 st s , still sitting waiting
    Hope this helps
    Jody k , clinton ct

Spyder Garage

Spyders are specifically listed as motorcycles by the DMV. In fact Spyders and Harley trikes are the only three wheeled bikesthat do not have to specifically go to Wethersfield for a VIN check when coming in from out of state. They can go to any emissions station to have the VIN inspected.

Spyder Garage

i would still like stricter requirements for all types of motorized vehicles, people with suv's should be trained
    not to stop in the middle of train crossings, 2 wheel mc's should learn not to pass on the left of the left lane
    on the interboro pkwy. & 's should learn which finger to use when they wave at harley's & perhaps
    illegals should not be given a license at all.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vidman View Post
    I truly believe the 3 wheel endorsement is the way to go in lieu of a MC Endorsement.

I am aware of the 3 wheel course for the MSF. I spoke to Pat Cruess on Saturday about this. He is an instructor for MSF at Tunxis. He is the guy who pushed successfully for a Scooter course. He sees the need for 3 wheel course. I hope he can push on that end.
    Earlier this week Pat told me that there will be a 3 wheel endorsement starting very soon.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Earlier this week Pat told me that there will be a 3 wheel endorsement starting very soon.
    Thanks for that info. I recently asked two of the guys involved on the DMV side and both just shrugged their shoulders....I guess I'm not high enough up on the food chain.