Thread: Wheel wobbles

Spyder Garage

Default Wheel wobbles

I took my RTS into the dealer Saturday to find out why sometimes the left front wheel starts to wobble, sometimes pretty violently. This happens at 40 - 44 MPH, road conditions seems to not be a factor. I'm thinking balance or maybe out of round tire. Original tires with about 11k miles. I'll update when problem found.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

Not a good situation. Please keep us informed as to what was cause/fix.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It might be a busted belt within the tire...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

There was a thread not very long ago about someone that would get a violent wobble on occasion. Ended up being the slime they had put in the tires to stop leaks. Ever had anyone put a stop leak type goo in your tires?

Spyder Garage

There was a thread not very long ago about someone that would get a violent wobble on occasion. Ended up being the slime they had put in the tires to stop leaks. Ever had anyone put a stop leak type goo in your tires?
    Nothing in the tires that I know of.

The Tech said that they had been finding that a lot of the oem tires were becoming out of round before the tread wore down and the tread does still look pretty god on my tires.
    Last edited by 2Paw; 06-23-2014 at 12:57 PM.
    Ed

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6

Spyder Garage

Just went thru this same situation. Found that it threw a weight from the right wheel. Had both rebalanced and reset the air pressure to 18psi in front and 28 in rear. Feels like new again.

Spyder Garage

Default Wobble..!!

Have them check front end parts for wear bearings as well. All the above works here..do let us know what they do find...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Just went thru this same situation. Found that it threw a weight from the right wheel. Had both rebalanced and reset the air pressure to 18psi in front and 28 in rear. Feels like new again.
    Hope it's that simple, but I looked for something like that and didn't see where any weights were missing.
    Ed

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Kendas tend to cup and that cause a wobble feeling. For me it was from 45 - 50 mph.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

OEM balance on our 14 RTs had one wheel balanced and the other needing 1 ounce of weight. The tire needing weight has a slight wobble in the tire itself. I did not replace it.

I accomplished a dynamic balance as opposed to the oem static balance. Re did both wheels. Originally you could see the windshield shaking and the front fenders moving back and forth.

Now, no more windshield shakes, tires and fenders are smooth and stable for all speeds. Tested it to 90 mph the other day and no issues.

Yes check the tires, check the balance and have them check other items mentioned.

Some are having automotive shops do the balancing on better equipment, including state of the art road force balancing, and getting great results. My balancer is automotive also and worked fine

PK

Spyder Garage

Default Update

I just got a call from the service dept, they have been unable to duplicate the problem but have checked "everything" and found nothing wrong. Everything is as follows, balance, roundness of tire and wheel, alignment, bearings and ball joints, other suspension/steering parts. This is very frustrating, but I've been there before, what are you going to do if you can't duplicate the problem or find anything wrong. I guess I'll pick it up, I'm disappointed. The dealer is not close, maybe I'll take it to a closer dealer if still happens.
    Ed

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Paw View Post
    I just got a call from the service dept, they have been unable to duplicate the problem but have checked "everything" and found nothing wrong. Everything is as follows, balance, roundness of tire and wheel, alignment, bearings and ball joints, other suspension/steering parts. This is very frustrating, but I've been there before, what are you going to do if you can't duplicate the problem or find anything wrong. I guess I'll pick it up, I'm disappointed. The dealer is not close, maybe I'll take it to a closer dealer if still happens.

Had a problem on my RT last year and basically ended up the same as you. It would shake at 42-44 mph but not all the time.

It got progressively worse and the dealer finally just put another wheel on the Spyder off of a showroom machine and it went away. That narrowed it down to wheel or tire. They replaced the tire and it stayed away.

Upon examination they found a belt that had come out of place but only from time to time would it make itself a problem.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Paw View Post

Replace the tires! You will find the only solution is to replace the OEM tires. Broken or separated belts have been posted many time on this forum. I experienced it last year with only ~5000 miles on the Spyder. It occurred at 55 mph. I spent weeks trying to fix it, including several rebalancing. I replaced the tires with new automobile tires and problem gone. Over 8,000 since without a problem and no wear showing on the tires. Read all about it here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ighlight=tires
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Default Update

Well after some procrastination I decided to replace my front tires. To get done within the 30 days as as a continuous problem I just went with the OEM tires. The problem seems to be resolved at least for now, I could make it happen on the way to the dealer but not on the way home. With any luck it won't happen again. I had 11,751 miles on the old tires which were the original set. The other thing I noticed, which may be my imagination, the overall steering seems to be easier, I don't think there was an inflation issue, as I checked and it they checked it, could just be the shape of the new tires. I am going to ask if they did anything besides change the tires though.
    Last edited by 2Paw; 07-29-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    Ed

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6