Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - Riverside View Post
    OK now lets really make this simple so all you have to do is get a frequency reading and convert it to Tension in Newtons. If we plug the above belt data into the formula we come up with two number that are constant. So now all one has to do is take the frequency, square it and multiply it by the constant for your belt configuration.

Belt Constant
    V-Twin (Span 1028mm) .99422
    ACE 1330 (Span 980mm) .86052

If frequency is what is being measured, and we use the conversion factors you have earlier in the thread, then a specific app is not needed, right? A laptop with an audio recording and editing program using an external microphone will provide the needed number, won't it? Same thing with an Android tablet, if it has a decent audio chip in it, right?
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 09-06-2014 at 10:13 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Installing a tensioner could take less time than READING all that, much less understanding it! Not that I DON'T understand it, but finding a mike and downloading a program is probably more trouble than installing a tensioner.
    3:16

Doc - Riverside

Expected Frequency Range one should see based on belt tension for your Model SPYDER. Keep in Mind the APP will not give you a reading below 20hz (it displays <20.0hz)

V-Twin Belt All Models (Years 2008 - 2012) Min (300n) Spec (450n) Max (600N)
    Belt Spec 450+/-150n Frequency range 17.37hz 21.27hz 24.56hz

V-Twin Belt All Models (2013) and RS/ST (Year 2014) Min (900n) Spec (1050n) Max (1200n)
    Belt Spec 1050+/-150n Frequency range 30.09hz 32.5hz 34.74hz

ACE 1330 Belt Model RT (2014) Min (900n) Spec (1050n) Max (1200n)
    Belt Spec 1050+/- 150n Frequency range 32.34hz 34.93hz 37.34hz

The gates site is http://www.carbondrivesystems.com/pr...soriesandtools (bottom right corner)

You can also go to Apple APPs and do a search on Gates Corporation

Yes most of the various parts of the APP are dealing with a bicycle it doesn't matter. We want the frequency of the tapped belt.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    If frequency is what is being measured, and we use the conversion factors you have earlier in the thread, then a specific app is not needed, right? A laptop with an audio recording and editing program using an external microphone will provide the needed number, won't it? Same thing with an Android tablet, if it has a decent audio chip in it, right?

Your train of thought is absolutely correct. In fact one could simplify it by adjusting the belt to the Spec Frequency by using the above table for your year/model Spyder. Take the average of the three readings and your good to go.

The only problem I see with using the Laptop method is the operator has to have the knowledge on where to take the frequency reading on the recorded signal. The recorded signal will present itself as a decaying frequency so you would have to provide some kind of training to explain where to read the waveform to get the frequency. The APP and the 507C sonic meter are programed to read the signal and measure it the same all the time.

I have talked with SL (magdave and ahh-cool) and they have used the Android with the Continental APP and got the same readings of around 80 hz which is wrong but constant. SL (finless) explained the as poor quality chips being used in the Android devices.

Doc - Riverside

Default Two different animals

Quote Originally Posted by mtdoragary View Post
    Installing a tensioner could take less time than READING all that, much less understanding it! Not that I DON'T understand it, but finding a mike and downloading a program is probably more trouble than installing a tensioner.
    The belt tensioner you are referring to I assume is the aftermarket one sold by various SL Venders. Correct?? To my knowledge there is no tensioner for the SPYDER that automaticly sets the factory belt tension. Factory belt tension must be set per procedure in the service manual using a Electronic Meter ( Gates 507C Sonic Meter). The procedure not only sets the belt tension but also ensures the belt is tracking true to the spin axis of the front and rear sprocket.

The aftermarket tensioner you are referring to is used by some to dampen belt vibration at high speeds. Basically what this belt tensioner is doing is applying pressure to one side of the belt in the middle of the span to stop it from vibrating.

Spyder Garage

The procedure not only sets the belt tension but also ensures the belt is tracking true to the spin axis of the front and rear sprocket..
    If your saying that once you set the freq to the correct place that it will run true, I'm not sure if I agree with that. I believe that is two separate procedures
    I believe you need it to run true and then set the tightness
    Stefan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandman53 View Post
    If using a Krikit tool how many lbs do you set the belt tension ? Are there new guidelines? Just put on a new Kumo and want to check everything.
    If the conversion is calculated, for the 2013 and newer models, then the belt tension should be set at 202-236 lbs.

For the older models, 67-101 lbs with a max of 134 lbs. (which seems too loose to me, but that's the conversion)
    Last edited by KX5062; 09-07-2014 at 10:27 AM.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

The belt tensioner you are referring to I assume is the aftermarket one sold by various SL Venders. Correct?? To my knowledge there is no tensioner for the SPYDER that automaticly sets the factory belt tension. Factory belt tension must be set per procedure in the service manual using a Electronic Meter ( Gates 507C Sonic Meter). The procedure not only sets the belt tension but also ensures the belt is tracking true to the spin axis of the front and rear sprocket.

The aftermarket tensioner you are referring to is used by some to dampen belt vibration at high speeds. Basically what this belt tensioner is doing is applying pressure to one side of the belt in the middle of the span to stop it from vibrating.
    If the belt tension is set properly, why would you have vibration? Isn't vibration the product of the belt flapping?
    3:16

Doc - Riverside

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    If your saying that once you set the freq to the correct place that it will run true, I'm not sure if I agree with that. I believe that is two separate procedures
    I believe you need it to run true and then set the tightness
    Stefan
    Agree

Any time I loosen the axle nut I always do the belt alignment and tension as one procedure. I do this by first getting the belt to track true with the tension at the low side of the spec. Once the belt is running true then I have matching 1/4 " ratchets with 6mm hex on the adjusting bolts. Using two ratchets makes it a whole lot easier to bring the belt up to the proper tension while maintaining the alignment of the belt.

Doc - Riverside

Quote Originally Posted by mtdoragary View Post
    If the belt tension is set properly, why would you have vibration? Isn't vibration the product of the belt flapping?
    The belt will set up some type of vibration ( harmonic) as a result of the span and the speed the belt is moving and any irregularities in the belt due to the manufacturing process. All belts do it even when tensioned correctly.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Doc, is there a disconnect in your avatar? The line above the pic says Orbital Blue, but the pic shows, what looks to me like, a Lava Bronze RT. Or am I just missing something?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Doc - Riverside

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Doc, is there a disconnect in your avatar? The line above the pic says Orbital Blue, but the pic shows, what looks to me like, a Lava Bronze RT. Or am I just missing something?
    I can't change that. That was my 2010 RTS. I now have a 2014 RTS.

Spyder Garage

Default F3 2015 Australian spec

Hi,
    thanks for the thread,
    would you mind finding the frequency for the Austraian spec f3
    we run a different rear sprocket which gives a different mass of 8.4 g/m not 8.0
    these are the specs for the 2015 f3 353 mm sprocket
    belt tension 775 N. +/- 150n. 174 lbsf. Min 140 lbsf. Max. 208 lbsf

mass 8.4 g/m
    width 28.0mm/R
    span 980 mm

fyi USA version has 397 mm sprocket with 8.0 g/m all else is the same.

really appreciate saving me the time and effort to find the the frequency.
    thanks David