Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Epic Summer Vacation

Day 1 - Well we left North Branch, MN (our home town) at 7:11am this morning in heavy fog and 50* so we bundled up a bit and hit the road south. By the time we got thru the Tiwn Cities the fog lifted and we were on our way....until Butch noticed the bag on the back of my spyder was moving around a bit too much so...our first stop was at Menards to resituate it and then we were on our way again. We also neede to shed a layer or two it was warming up quickly.

We had a picinic lunch in Worthington, MN...using up food from our fridge! The temp was rising and by the time we got to Souix City, IA it hit 91*, Butch's new venting system he came up with for his '13 STs was working great!

We crossed into Nebraska and rode a great state hiway down to Lincoln, NE. We pulled into a motel at 5:26pm...486 miles later! Long day but the riding was great and the Spyders ran wonderfully.
    At the motel the front desk clerk asked what kind of motorcycle we had and when I barely got Can Am out she got all excited started asking all sorts of questions she has seen the ads and thinks they are really cool bikes...I'm sure when she goes on break she'll be out in the parking lot checking them out.
    Well...now that we've eaten (Cracker Barrel, yum)

Next is a long shower then early to bed...I don't think I'll have any problems sleeping tonight!
    Last edited by Paula(Butch2025); 06-21-2014 at 07:42 PM. Reason: added photos
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

May your trip be safe and trouble free!!!...Ride Safe..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a good start to a motorcycle vacation. Ryde safe.

Spyder Garage

Keep the information coming.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Day 2 - Left Lincoln, NE at 9:44am in a light rain. Then thanks to James Taylor we found out about a great state highway to take instead of the the interstate! Well, at least it was a woman who was in town for his concert. She told us about Hwy 30...said on this road you will see that Nebraska isn't all flat and you'll drive through lots of corn fields...and she was right.

It stayed nice in the 70's almost all day only getting hotter just as we got to North Platte at 1:51pm 254 miles later. Short day, but you need those every once in awhile.
    Butch was in his glory because we finally got to see the Bailey Yard - the largest railroad yard around - 8 miles long with 2 humps. We went to the top of the Golden Spike Tower and talked to a retired railroad worker for awhile - really interesting!

All settled in for the night with a little rain on the western horizon, it should be out of here by morning - keeping our fingers crossed!

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Karyl just had to let you know we got 3 train to toot their horns for us today! Whenever that happens I feel like a little kid with a big grin on my face. It made think of you whenever the blew!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have a nice ride tomorrow. When will you be in Durango? We will be there Tuesday evening, it is 540 miles and we will be riding through Zion National Park so that takes a little longer. We lost our reservations at the Travel Lodge so we will be at the Econo Lodge. Lovely, I'm sure.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Have a nice ride tomorrow. When will you be in Durango? We will be there Tuesday evening, it is 540 miles and we will be riding through Zion National Park so that takes a little longer. We lost our reservations at the Travel Lodge so we will be at the Econo Lodge. Lovely, I'm sure.
    WHAT?? he I am all stoked to be at the same hotel as you and they screwed ya?

I am leaving here at noon and am trying to make it west of north plate,ne , crash out then hit co springs to see my bro then durango on wed. its only 320 miles to durango from co springs so I should get there before noon.

Glad to see little butchy got some foaming in paula
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SethO View Post
    WHAT?? he I am all stoked to be at the same hotel as you and they screwed ya?

I am leaving here at noon and am trying to make it west of north plate,ne , crash out then hit co springs to see my bro then durango on wed. its only 320 miles to durango from co springs so I should get there before noon.

Glad to see little butchy got some foaming in paula
    Yes they did. We made the reservation in January and they screwed us.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sounds like..!!

like your travels are going remarkably well. Enjoy and waiting for updates....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for pics along with the info .... wish we were rydin' with ya

Butch and Paula, have a great trip! I appreciate the pics and your info. as you travel - nice! We will need to do that as well someday! It was nice to see you guys when we stopped in North Branch for lunch!

Be safe and have a great time! I know you will !!!!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Butch and Paula, Wish I could have met up with you as you passed thru Sioux City, but I was probably out on the poker run. Awsome Biker Nights, was going on this whole weekend here.
    Seth, you'll probably pass them, the way you drive.
    Hope you all have a great trip, and keep us posted with pics.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Butch2025&Paula View Post

...Butch's new venting system he came up with for his '13 STs was working great!
    If I "read" the photo above right, it loks like he placed spacers on the front of the side panels to give about a 1" gap, creating a sort of scoop to catch air and flow it into the body. Am I correct? Could you post more pics and details?

Spyder Garage

Butch and Paula,

Sounds like a good trip so far . We left home this morning and are now at the hotel in Lincoin, NE . Only 440 miles for us, but it took awhile as we attempted to ride along the river along 169. Three detours later due to flooding we made it to Mankato
    We stopped in La Mars, IA for ice cream as it is billed the ice cream capital of the world. Blue Bunny's home town. So we stopped at their store in town and I had a waffle come with banana split and peanut butter panic ice cream and Kathy had a dish of bunny tracks and peanut butter panic ice cream. Tasted great!
    Tomorrow's destination is Fort Morgan, CO.

Sorry to hear about your lost reservations We will be staying at the Super 8 and will arrive Wed.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    If I "read" the photo above right, it loks like he placed spacers on the front of the side panels to give about a 1" gap, creating a sort of scoop to catch air and flow it into the body. Am I correct? Could you post more pics and details?
    Mark, it's been running at least one bar cooler than it ever has before. Even when it was in the 90's. I'll try to get better photos for you, you are right about the spacers.

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Day 3 - another great day of riding. We left North Platte around 7:30am central time but not until I made a stop at Buffalo Bill Cody's homestead.
    Our route today was completely off interstate! Lots of great state highways and county roads through country that I'm sure most people never get to see. Butch sure picked a wonderful route for us. We slowly gained altitude all day. Just looking at all those rolling hills and gullies I marveled at the pioneers that did this trip in covered wagons...amazing that they made it.
    At one point we came upon not only a cattle ranch with a bazillion acres of farmland but also a wind farm. We have never seen that many wind generators all in one area. It was so cool to watch them gracefully spinning.
    As we got closer to our destination there was a lone thunder storm on the horizon...you guessed it right over Colorado Springs!!! We suited up then decided to stop at a great little store called Maggie's to check the radar to see which direction it was heading. Decided to try for the next town 9 miles away...stopped to wait for it to clear out and have a snack. After 45 minutes it was just sprinkling so we finished our ride of 377 miles at 4:30pm mountain time.
    Our motel for next couple days in the Buffalo Lodge built in the 1920's. When I get my netbook working better l'll post photos too. What a great day and this trip is really just beginning!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Trying to catch you crazy kids, im in kerney, ne. Will be in colo springs in the afternoon. Larry in ia said hello. Also there is a pic of him pit crewing again
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SethO View Post
    Trying to catch you crazy kids, im in kerney, ne. Will be in colo springs in the afternoon. Larry in ia said hello. Also there is a pic of him pit crewing again

I bet it is easier to work on when the Spyder is up side down like that

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

wrenchin' for seth.jpg DSCN0437.jpg
    Sent him on his way..........

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Day 4 - Well we didn't put lots of miles on but we sure got lots of altitude...14,000+ feet to the top of Pikes Peak. We got to do the ride with a couple Minnesota SpyderLovers, Neal and Richard. It was incredible to ride up there and then to top it off the Hill Climb is this coming weekend so we got to see several of the racers coming down the mountain after their practice ride. Got to check another ride off our bucket list!

When we got back to town we stopped at this great hot dog stand for lunch. When you order they ask if you'd like it "George" sized...bigger and better looking...George is the guy who takes your orders...he was great. And so was the food!

Later after resting up from our mountain ride we waited for the daily storms to break so we could drive thru the Garden of the Gods. Those are some of the most beautiful rock formations around...truly amazing how they are formed by the wind erosion.

After supper we met up with Seth for a visit. It was a Minnesota invasion in Colorado Springs!
    Not a bad first official day of Butch's vacation!
    Last edited by Paula(Butch2025); 06-28-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Butch2025&Paula View Post
    Day 4 - Well we didn't put lots of miles on but we sure got lots of altitude...14,000+ feet to the top of Pikes Peak. We got to do the ride with a couple Minnesota SpyderLovers, Neal and Richard. It was incredible to ride up there and then to top it off the Hill Climb is this coming weekend so we got to see several of the racers coming down the mountain after their practice ride. Got to check another ride off our bucket list!
    When we got back to town we stopped at this great hot dog stand for lunch. When you order they ask if you'd like it "George" sized...bigger and better looking...George is the guy who takes your orders...he was great. And so was the food!
    Later after resting up from our mountain ride we waited for the daily storms to break so we could drive thru the Garden of the Gods. Those are some of the most beautiful rock formations around...truly amazing how they are formed by the wind erosion.
    After supper we met up with Seth for a visit. It was a Minnesota invasion in Colorado Springs!
    Not a bad first official day of Butch's vacation!
    Sounds like a great day! Would love to do the top of Pikes Peak, but discovered that I am one of the lucky ones who suffer from altitude sickness. Last time I tried Pikes I started feeling bad and got worse the higher I got. I did not know what was happening at the time, but discovered the reason when it happened at the summit of Bear Tooth Pass. The lower I got the better I felt.
    The Garden of the Gods is fantastic - a must see

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Day 5-6-7: Our trip into Durango was another great travel day. As we got closer the more spyders we saw, and the longer it would take at gas stations, everyone wanted to chat and then more would come along. It was fun to find out where they were all traveling in from too. Then as we traveled along it was like a great game of leap frog...we'd keep passing up and then beinging passed by the same spyders!
    One the prettiest parts of ride was Wolf Creek Pass.

Pulling into Durango and checking into our motel we came across more spyder friends. We had alot of fun just hanging out in our parking lot! Thanks to Peggy, Gary, Paula, and Scott for helping Butch find our motel room.

He kept looking at our room key upside down so they helped out by renumbering our room!
    We had quite the Minnesota invasion: Us, Seth, Chuck, Les & Kathy, Richard and Neal (who missed the photo)

The owners event was so much fun...we reconnected with old friends, got to know others much better, met lots of new friends and the riding was great. So many options of places to go.but I had one destination to check off my bucket list...so off to Mesa Verde we went, and Kathy and Les joined us. The ride into the park is so very beautiful much less walking around where these fasinating people carved out their homes in the mountainside.

When we got bach from our ride it was time to head to Sleeping Beauty Ranch for the BBQ and more visiting...we do alot of that! The last day of the event we had a good lunch and then headed downtown Durango for a street party...spyders everywhere and a really good band. Butch and I did not win the trip to Europe...bummer...but when you get to spend time with great people and ride around in this beauriful part of our country I would say we were winners any ways! Its always sad when one of these events comes to an end...but we just say good bye until the next event...and there are getting to be more and more all acrocc the country...one of them is bound to close to us or on our way to another destination. Thanks BRP for putting on another fun event...looking forward to hearing where next years will be!

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Day 8 - We said good-bye to Durango and started heading out on the rest of our vacation. 360 miles later we are in Winter Park, CO. We stayed on state highways as much as possible, but eventually had to get on I40....if you have to ride on a freeway this has to be the MOST beautiful one around!

At some points of our ride today we were almost even with the treeline and in several areas there was snow next to the road or in the forest nearby....makes me wonder if I packed warm enough clothes for this trip! Might have to do some shopping...oh darn!
    I know I've said this before but I keep thinking of those pioneers that did this trip in covered wagons....I claim to be an outdoorsy person and somewhat hearty...I don't think I could've made it...they were very special people to have made it over these mountains!
    Winter Park was on Butch's bucket list....being the train fan that he is brought us here to see the Moffat Tunnel! One of the longer tunnels at 5 1/2 miles long and the main throughofare...it was pretty cool to see...just too bad there wasn't a train!

Well time to hit the hay and get a good nights sleep and be all ready for tomorrows ride!

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome

So nice to see you guys! What a wonderful trip! Pictures are superb! Keep them coming!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system