Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Couple questions about cost of adding (2) accessories to brand new RT

What's typical cost (parts & labor) to have your dealer install below items (before delivery) to a brand new 2014 Spyder RT?:

• Backrest
    • Fog lights

Thanks!

Un. Dave

Spyder Garage

I don't think there is a typical has every dealer is different, if it's not too late see if you can get them has part if the deal. When I got my 2012 it was still in the create so I they said any thing I add before the build was free install.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

If you buy BRP's backrest no labor it just plugs in. Utopia labor 1-2hrs. The fogs are ~$600-700 installed depends on the dealer.
    Last edited by Magdave; 06-21-2014 at 09:11 AM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

will depend on the parts being oem or aftermarket and who does the work. Best call around your are for labor prices and check our sponsors for parts prices. Don't have a shop manual for your model but it has flat rates to get you the timesfor installation....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEDAVE View Post
    What's typical cost (parts & labor) to have your dealer install below items (before delivery) to a brand new 2014 Spyder RT?:

• Backrest
    • Fog lights

Thanks!

Un. Dave
    My dealer wanted 1/2 hour labor - had not installed one on a 2014 yet. Did it myself in 45 minutes. Not just a plug and play - just follow the directions included - simple. If doing again, it would take 20 minutes tops.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If this is going to be made part of the sale; why not dicker with him a bit over it? Have him throw in the labor for the foglights...
    Or even the foglights themselves; if you're a really great "Horse-Trader"!

Happy Hunting!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Labor Cost vs Parts Cost

The dealer I buy from generally won't deal much on service dept. labor because that's a "different side of the business". But they are always willing to deal on the cost of accessories added to make a sale. The BRP backrest can be easily added by the customer, if needed. It's not just plug-'n-play the first time. There is a bracket that has to be installed on the under-side of the seat before the backrest can be just plugged-in.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterJeff View Post
    The dealer I buy from generally won't deal much on service dept. labor because that's a "different side of the business". But they are always willing to deal on the cost of accessories added to make a sale. The BRP backrest can be easily added by the customer, if needed. It's not just plug-'n-play the first time. There is a bracket that has to be installed on the under-side of the seat before the backrest can be just plugged-in.

That's a standard sales department line. If you get that you should talk to someone higher up.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's just about the most negotiable thing that they've got!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I would say Utopia a half hour or less. (2014) It took me about 45 minutes--but I am non mechanical and slow. Pop the tab, shave it, cut a slit, attach the bottom plate/bracket (4 screws), and attach backrest to bracket (1 bolt/nut).

Fog lights right on.

Dealers are going to base installation on their shop rate. They are a bit open on negotiation when it comes to new accessories. I had A- frame and trunk light installed--we negotiated 1.5 hours total time for those items.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red