Spyder Garage

Default Frunk switch problems

After about a year, my frunk switch is Again not working. I have to manually open it with the key.
    Wondering if anyone has had similar problems with the switch?
    Wondering if anyone has easy'ish fix - not looking forward to taking it back to dealer to have it fixed. Yes, it's probably under warranty, but I don't really like my 'nearest' dealer that much anymore.
    2013 RTS

Spyder Garage

I had same issue , stopped at BRP's trailer at Spyderfest , the told to take it to dealer to replace switch (warranty ). He stated that there is a spring in the switch that gets bent . If you don't hear the switch click then, you will need to replace. If the switch clicks, then it is an alignment issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    You can test if it is the Frunk microswitch by holding the lever arm down and pressing the frunk release switch to see if the actuator works.

It’s easy to bend the switch arm.

Or, you could pretend it's a '14.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Or, you could pretend it's a '14.

Low blow...

Spyder Garage

My 14 has a switch.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jpschulte View Post
    After about a year, my frunk switch is Again not working. I have to manually open it with the key.
    Wondering if anyone has had similar problems with the switch?
    Wondering if anyone has easy'ish fix - not looking forward to taking it back to dealer to have it fixed. Yes, it's probably under warranty, but I don't really like my 'nearest' dealer that much anymore.
    2013 RTS
    Yeah, mine is out again for the second time. It was replaced the first time under warranty. The switch clicks when pressed manually, but doesn't open the latch when pressed at the same time as the switch on the handlebar, and I can hear it click when I slowly close the frunk lid, so no alignment problem. I seem to recall an earlier thread about this, and I think that there is a relay between the handlebar switch & the frunk switch. This could be the problem that you (and me) are having. It's going in next week for service & hope to get it straightened out. One other thought. Is the key hard to turn to open the frunk? It so, check the sealing gasket on the frunk. Mine was ridiculously misaligned, and once I fixed that, the key turns much easier. Good luck, and let us know the outcome.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If that little microswitch arm gets bent...

...Just unbend it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Is it the same switch that activates the light in the frunk?

Spyder Garage

Mine also failed after 6 months or so, 2013 RTL.... called the dealer and says to bring it down, but can't find the time to do so, very busy with work.... got a little bit of time some days back and did some DIY.... actuator checked ok, micro switch checked ok, so just simply bypass the original handlebar switch with a spare one (see my other posts).... works well until I can find time to have the original switch dismantled and repaired or changed.... funny thing is, I have checked the voltage from the original switch when it is activated, it shows 12+ Volts... but the actuator does not energise... I suspect the switch contacts are not fully closed, preventing the flow of higher current that is needed to energise the actuator...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD1 View Post
    Is it the same switch that activates the light in the frunk?
    Yes, it is...