Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking for an accessorie wire

I'm installing a cb radio in my 2013 sts. I'm looking for a fused accessorie wire to hook in to . I tryed to hook to battery posts under the front left side of hood, but because it is part of the charging system I get noise feed back through head phones. I hope some has some help for me, thanks Jim

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I installed a 12 volt cigarette lighter outlet in the left speaker grill of my 2013 ST SM5 and used power from one of the unused switch plugs just forward of the seat. I think it was the one for the heated grips (which I dont have) but not sure, there are 3 unused switch plugs on mine. It does lose power when I turn the ignition off, which is nice in case I forget to unplug my GPS or something and end up with a dead battery. A multimeter and a little testing and it wasnt hard to find a 12 volt hot wire and a ground.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WashingtonApple View Post
    I installed a 12 volt cigarette lighter outlet in the left speaker grill of my 2013 ST SM5 and used power from one of the unused switch plugs just forward of the seat. I think it was the one for the heated grips (which I dont have) but not sure, there are 3 unused switch plugs on mine. It does lose power when I turn the ignition off, which is nice in case I forget to unplug my GPS or something and end up with a dead battery. A multimeter and a little testing and it wasnt hard to find a 12 volt hot wire and a ground.
    That's where I have mine, is switched, works fine, two choices next to park and heated grip switches, connectors are under the two plugs where switches could go

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yeah its a very convenient source of power. But as for resolving the noise issue I am not sure if it would be any different than straight from the battery. An inline noise filter may be a better solution. I don't get any noise on my devices but all I use is a cell phone and a GPS, both of which are pretty much happy with anything in the neighborhood of 12 volts even if its "dirty" as sin. I recall from years ago when I was into CB radios they are much pickier about power quality. This one seems to have good reviews on amazon but there are a few other available:

http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-XLF20C-...A1B4ZG3HU0PKN2

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WashingtonApple View Post

I used the empty foglight switch connection, same difference.