Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question Need advice on riding across the country..

Hi Guys,
    I am fairly new to motorcycling (6 months in all). Have done just about 1200 miles on my Rt-S (2012). I recently came over to the Boston region (from San Jose,CA) for about 4 months in Apr 2014. Headed back in late july. On my way over i had my can-am shipped. I intend to ride it back though... My plan it to take about 9 to 10 days riding back from Acton, Ma to San Jose, CA. My longest trip thus far has been about 150 miles one way... Im taking another 400 mi round trip this wknd (to the white mountains, NH)

I will be riding solo...
    My bike is a basic 2012 RT-S with no mods. I plan to ride back starting 25'th Jul and get to San jose by 3'rd Aug. I wish i could have taken longer, but thats the amount of vacation time i have left
    I know its not gonna be a cake walk... but im not sure if i will have an opp like this again any time soon... and i have this urge to just go do it

Any tips/tricks from people who have either done the trip or done long distance riding will be welcome.

Above all, any strong reasons i should not do the trip (other than my lacking experience )? (should i be concerned about the tornado season in the northern plains/mid west this time of the year?)

Lookin forward to usefull insights
    Pary

PS : As for stuff i will take with me, i'll have one bag on the passenger seat in addition to whatever fits in the various compartments (i do not have the trailer, nor do i wish to get one now).
    2020 Ralley , Matt black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Need advice on riding across the country..

Quote Originally Posted by praries880 View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I am fairly new to motorcycling (6 months in all). Have done just about 1200 miles on my Rt-S (2012). I recently came over to the Boston region (from San Jose,CA) for about 4 months in Apr 2014. Headed back in late july. On my way over i had my can-am shipped. I intend to ride it back though... My plan it to take about 9 to 10 days riding back from Acton, Ma to San Jose, CA. My longest trip thus far has been about 150 miles one way... Im taking another 400 mi round trip this wknd (to the white mountains, NH)

I will be riding solo...
    My bike is a basic 2012 RT-S with no mods. I plan to ride back starting 25'th Jul and get to San jose by 3'rd Aug. I wish i could have taken longer, but thats the amount of vacation time i have left
    I know its not gonna be a cake walk... but im not sure if i will have an opp like this again any time soon... and i have this urge to just go do it

Any tips/tricks from people who have either done the trip or done long distance riding will be welcome.

Above all, any strong reasons i should not do the trip (other than my lacking experience )? (should i be concerned about the tornado season in the northern plains/mid west this time of the year?)

Lookin forward to usefull insights
    Pary

PS : As for stuff i will take with me, i'll have one bag on the passenger seat in addition to whatever fits in the various compartments (i do not have the trailer, nor do i wish to get one now).
    That is a nice ride, I move here from Morgan Hill CA and we drove from there if you want send me a private message we can talk, have few suggestions for you.

Spyder Garage

Default Long ride

I road a 2 wheeler to Alaska a few yrs ago....over 5800 miles total...take lots of breaks, bring water.... and plan on ryding a certain amout of miles per day....I only travel around 300 miles per day but I like to stop and look at stuff...I also hate freeways so I try and travel back roads...have fun...

Spyder Garage

praries880,

You might benefit from contacting a member here with the screen name Dudley. He lives in California and drove (his Spyder) cross country and back, and I believe when he finished his trip he had 10,000 miles. He did a great job of documenting his trip, here on SL's.

Spyder Garage

500 miles a day is not that hard of a trip, we have done 700 miles a day (freeway Driving) on several occasions, just relax, keep hydrated and when you stop for fuel, walk around for a few minutes and relax.

(500 miles is roughly 4 fuel stops)

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just remember to take lots of pictures for the rest of us!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default One good trick...

Take me with you! Have a safe ride!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You should have an awesome time!
    1. Get yourself a Camelbak so you will have plenty of water to stay hydrated.
    2. I recommend that if you are putting a bag on the passenger seat that you raise the seat and run your strap under it. If you strap it to the passenger grips you will have to unstrap at every gas stop.
    3. A cool vest is a good investment but if you don't want to buy one take and extra t-shirt and soak it at a gas stop and put it on over your base shirt. You have to wear a jacket for them to work properly, otherwise they dry out too quickly. (they work better in the drier climates not in high humidity)
    4. I put hard candy in my glove box for a little snack while riding
    5. 5-Hour Energy drinks only last about 2 hours but they keep me awake and focused
    6. We don't usually book rooms along our route because sometimes you need to stop earlier or you have more energy and want to push on further. I pick an end place for each day and an alternate stops also.
    7. Check out your route for availability of gas. When you get out west there are places where you could run out
    8. Take some of those detergent pods and a few dryer sheets and put them in a Zip Loc for doing laundry. I bring quarters with also.

I think tornado season is winding down by that time of year. Not that you won't encounter a thunderstorm or two.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can always take your "sheds" (dirty laundry...), and mail them back home along the way...
    It'll lighten your load considerably!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When we go on a long trip we don't set a mileage limit on the day, that way if we see something interesting we can stop. If you have a smart phone you can keep track of the weather, fuel stops, motels etc in the area you are in. You may want a small gas can in your saddle bag (we have a REDA) just in case. Stay hydrated and enjoy the trip.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I find that stopping about every 70 to 80 miles helps a lot to keep the heat rash and sore joints at bay, also like to fuel at those intervals during summer to keep gas from boiling, just relax and enjoy the ride, allow time for extra stops and hydrate very often and powder up with anti monkey but powder LOL.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't worry about your experience level. After a fee days you'll have it figured out. Make sure you have rain gear.

Wave as as you go through Kansas.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    When we go on a long trip we don't set a mileage limit on the day, that way if we see something interesting we can stop. If you have a smart phone you can keep track of the weather, fuel stops, motels etc in the area you are in. You may want a small gas can in your saddle bag (we have a REDA) just in case. Stay hydrated and enjoy the trip.

BINGO!!!! Stop and smell the roses along the way.

​Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default There you go...!!

my two cents...ryde relaxed stop when you need gas stretch hydrate and enjoy the ryde. Eat light during the ryde have a good evening meal keeps you sharp while driving. Your going to has a great trip...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks guys :)

For all the great advice in the thread.

My plan is to do about 350 to 400 miles per day... I was planing on pre booking motels along the way at the said intervals... but it seems like not such a great idea

The camelback seems to be a good idea too... i was wondering if i should install a cup holder... but the bag seems like a better option.

As for the gas, thus far my bike has done around 33MPG... so yeah i guess breaks will have to be spaced around 90Mi... I am thinking about getting a gas can...

Highwayman2013
    does this one look good? (I just ordered one) I want to get the larger one (2.5 gallons), but im not sure if even this guy will fit into the side compartment on the spyder though

SpyderAnn0vests Can the cool vests be worn under a biking jacket? Mine is on the tighter side (i thought it made sense to buy one thats as snug as it can get )?

Baseball79ST201 Hi, I will ping you once i figure out how to send private messages on this site

Thanks for the referral wyliec, I will get in touch with Dudley.

Thanks for the suggestion
    yamahog, I just ordered the butt powder from Amazon.. didnt know such a thing existed ll help me in the cycling as well

EnjoyingTheRyde you are most welcome do join in

Thanks everyone for the great tips

Will keep the thread posted with pics once i am on the way..

Thanks
    Pary

Btw : heres a link to my photo site
    (why is this being thrown out here you might ask... well cus Bob Denman mentioned take pictures, my site does not have a lot of motorcycle pics, but i like to think i take good ones.. sometimes, so i threw it out just in case ) I hope to have a good abum with my trip pics once im done
    2020 Ralley , Matt black

Spyder Garage

The above posters have you pretty much covered. I would add--don't over pack. If you forget something, that's what WalMart (or similar) is for.

Have an enjoyable and safe trip.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am sooooo jealous!!

-- Honestly, while you can do more than 500 miles a day, I'd plan on 400 max. That's a comfortable pace, a mix of backroads and highways. More than that and you're either rushing, or slabbing too much.

-- I'd consider bringing a mix of seating pads. I find swapping between my Airhawk and my Beadrider (along with my stock seat) every couple of fill-ups keeps my bottom just fine.

-- Anti-Monkey Butt powder is a LIFESAVER. Also consider getting dedicated riding underwear (I personally swear by Ex Officio, but anything from LD to Under Armor or anything else "sport" will help keep you comfortable).

-- Keep your phone or a cheap-o pocket camera handy for spur-of-the-moment photo opportunities.

-- Every time you fill-up, take off your helmet, stretch, drink down an entire beverage (especially with the summer heat). Save the big meal for the end of the day, eat light on the road, things RARELY sit well shaking atop a bike

Enjoy yourself, and safe riding!

Spyder Garage

I highly recommend a couple pair of LDComfort undies. They make a huge difference when riding long days. I just came back from a 3,100 mile trip to Key West and back... the longest day was 525 miles and I was in full comfort all day. We did stay 2 days in Key West so your 3,100 mile trip should be pretty easy to do in 9 days with an average of 350 miles a day.

Next you have a 2012 RT just like mine and I highly recommend you get a BajaRon sway bar and the PittBull shock relocator put in. Small change for a huge improvement in handling.

Lastly I'd get a Laser alignment done then make sure you have the front tires the same exact pressure.

The Spyder will be a new machine that rides on rails and sneers at 18 wheelers.

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    I highly recommend a couple pair of LDComfort undies.
    JT,
    Thanks for NOT providing us with a picture of you modelling them!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Yeah the handling could be better...

Thanks for the post jthornton, I do notice how the bike sways in even mildly windy conditions
    (say 15 to 20 mph cross winds)... n boy the turbulence form the semis... I need to slow down to around 55 to 60mph for the bike to feel stable again.
    Hope there are places around Acton that do the laser alignment.

I dont think i can afford the sway bars n the shock relocator as of now maybe once i have recovered enough from the financial shock of buyin the RT-S
    2020 Ralley , Matt black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by praries880 View Post
    Thanks for the post jthornton, I do notice how the bike sways in even mildly windy conditions
    (say 15 to 20 mph cross winds)... n boy the turbulence form the semis... I need to slow down to around 55 to 60mph for the bike to feel stable again.
    Hope there are places around Acton that do the laser alignment.

I dont think i can afford the sway bars n the shock relocator as of now maybe once i have recovered enough from the financial shock of buyin the RT-S
    The sway bar is $200 and is the best bang for the buck. Very easy to install yourself with a couple of tools. And Ron is a sponsor here and well trusted with service you can't beat with a stick. When I got my RT my wife rode with me one time and would not get back on and kept saying lets take the Goldwing today... I put the sway bar on and took a test ride. Next time I got her on the bike she was much more comfortable (much less sway) and now likes to ride the Spyder as much as the Goldwing.

JT

Spyder Garage

Good raingear for a long trip. I carry a tire repair kit and tiny compressor to run off a Powerlet. I carry water and energy bars or trail mix.

Take time to enjoy the sights. As you mention... this is your opportunity to ride cross country... may as well see the sights and meet some good people. I also carry baby wipes to freshen up, on a very hot day before going into a restaurant, etc.

I try to set some goals of where to get to each day but I like to be flexible. You will have delays and also days I which you cover more ground than planned. Better to adapt and adjust than stress.

Enjoy the trip...I am jealous. :-)

Edit - also... if using a GPS, I still bring along some good paper maps from AAA. Tough to get overall perspective on a small GPS screen.
    Last edited by Raknid; 06-20-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hope i had my tools here... unfortunately my home is San Jose, hence all of my stuff is there... Well, once i get back.. this will be a good project to work on then.. Thanks for the info jthornton

2020 Ralley , Matt black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My advice is simple...PM Murphybrown! She's been across the U.S. many times!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Not much to add. I'm a 2 wheel LD rider. Did a couple of ironbutts (1k, 1500). I use wickers underwear. That anti-monkeybutt is the bomb, I use it for woods races too.

Get off the spyder every hour or so, walk around, do some pushups if your able. Keeping fatigue from happening is a lot easier than dealing with it once it occurs.