Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head lights

Spyder Garage

Default Head lights

Has anyone else been getting flashed over there lights. I know there bright which is good better to be seen then not. Anyway I was getting flashed a lot so I readjusted according to the book. Worked great.
    Well i had this guy in a red jeep that was breking my balls last yr. Have not forgotten. The last couple of days he turns his lights on when he sees me coming. I go into work at 5:30 am. Light enough where u don't need lights. GETTING REALY ANNOYED. Been thinking about turning around and follow him to see what his problem is. ANY OPINIONS????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    Has anyone else been getting flashed over there lights. I know there bright which is good better to be seen then not. Anyway I was getting flashed a lot so I readjusted according to the book. Worked great.
    Well i had this guy in a red jeep that was breking my balls last yr. Have not forgotten. The last couple of days he turns his lights on when he sees me coming. I go into work at 5:30 am. Light enough where u don't need lights. GETTING REALY ANNOYED. Been thinking about turning around and follow him to see what his problem is. ANY OPINIONS????
    Will you be ready for a little more than words to be exchanged?

If he has and is turning on a light bar, that's illegal in NYS while on public roads.

By the way, your brights aren't on while it's dark when traffic approaches?
    Last edited by wyliec; 06-17-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Ignore him, children have a short attention span, lol..

Last year I had a guy deliberately try to drive me off the road to make a point about my driving lights. What can you do about stupid? lol..
    I also had a guy follow me all over trying to intimidate me because he felt my lights were too bright, when we both stopped I got off and went over to see him but he after flipping the bird he rolled his window up and the screamed he was calling the cop! lol.. I walked to back of his vehical and took his license number down then drove on home only to have the police pull me over for aggressive driving.. Luckily I knew the officer a bit and he believed my version over his, lol. He told the police I was chasing him and speeding and I tried to attack him! lol.. Good fun in a one horse town

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I run with every light I have , high beam everything, I wantto be seen , if the other guy does not like it, I, m sorry but I want to live. And have fun riding

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliit to comec View Post
    Will you be ready for a little more than words to be exchanged?

If he has and is turning on a light bar, that's illegal in NYS while on public roads.

By the way, your brights aren't on while it's dark when traffic approaches?
    Yes I can take care of myself and then some. Spent 6yrs. In the military been properly trained.
    Don't want It to come to that but why is it only 1 person. Will choose the ignore for as long as I can.
    Will look for alternatives!! Hope it does not become who is the game master

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HI / LO EFECT

Our Spyders have a " SHUTTER " device that creates the hi /low beam from a single bulb ( filament ) .....sometimes it bounces and gives the wrong message.. During the daytime I always drive with my Hi beams on because it locks the " SHUTTER " in the up position.......JMHO....Mikeguyver
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-17-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIin the moringHT911 View Post
    Our Spyders have a " SHUTTER " device that creates the hi /low beam from a single bulb .....sometimes it bounces and gives the wrong message.. During the daytime I always drive with my Hi beams on because it locks the " SHUTTER " in the up position.......JMHO....Mikeguyver

Will try that In the morning Mike. Will report results. Anything is worth a try

Spyder Garage

I have the BRP hid lights and get that a lot. They are so much brighter but the step up of the beam is pretty pronounced and there aim is not real high. I have the factory fog lights but don't really seem to half to use them much.

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Spyder Garage

I installed the BRP HID kit last year and I get flashed by so many people with just my low beams on! I had one car flash me with just my low beams on quite a few times and I finally put my high beams on like I normally do to show that the lights are not my brights and the car finally stopped flashing his brights. Come to find out it was a cop! He kept on going and did not turn around or anything. After I installed the HID kit and kept getting flashed I thought about adjusting them but the installation sheet says they are pre set from the factory and do not need adjusting. I am now starting to think that I should probably adjust them lower. On any given night of riding I will get flashed with others high beams by at least 75% of the cars I pass and I now ride at night with my thumb on the high beam switch to flash brights back if I get flashed. Anyone else out there that has had to adjust with the BRP HID kit?

Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

when adjusting the lights did you have weight on the seat..?? Problem is when you get on and especially a passenger the beam shoots much higher. If I get flashed I hit the flash button on the right control and lets them know I am on low beam. If they insist I turn on my driving lights and fog lights and they usually get the message. Chasing people like that down will get you nowhere best let it go...jmo.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Run with the bright lights on at all times during daylight. I had a similar experience several years ago when I had a Cadillac CTS with HIDs. That was back when they had that purplish color and every morning the same guy would flash his lights at me and I felt like you, I wanted to turn around and see what his problem was.

Riding with your brights on in the day will not only stop people from flashing you but will make you that much more visible to oncoming traffic.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    Been thinking about turning around and follow him to see what his problem is. ANY OPINIONS????
    You said it, "his problem." Leave it at that. Why make it your problem? That's what he wants you to do. He wants a response. Don't give him any and you are the one in control then. Give him a response, any response, and you cede control of the situation to him. Do you really want him to have control over you? I don't think so.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by unclejay View Post
    Blinding an oncoming driver is very bad news, and most new motorcycle lights are too bright.
    however this will not change because civility has taken a back seat to self image. People know their lights are too bright and their exhausts are too loud and they like it. They hide behind bumper sticker philosophy like 'loud pipes save lives' and 'i want to be seen' Intentional logical disconnects are the refuge of the uneducated and unreasonable. Whew that wore me out.
    The Spyder lights are not too bright at all. It is the flickering on low beam that bothers people that is why you should ride with your bright lights on in the daytime.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default lights

well unclejy when some one runs over you, you will holler why didn't they see me or when your passing some one and they turn in to you they did not hear you the law says you should run with high beams during day light hours I guess you will have to turn your lights off so you don't bother them with your lights also put some more stuffing in your muffler so no one can hear you like deer good night and good luck I hope you do not have any one pull out in front of you because you have no lights

Spyder Garage

The low beam lights do not flicker, they are NOT too bright (DOT regs), nor does the shutter bounce unless large bumps are encountered. Its the bike that moves and the demarcation line where the beam cuts off moves through the oncoming persons field of view. It makes it appear to flicker on and off like you are flashing your lights at them. If this is occurring at distances greater than about 30 yards, your headlights are adjusted too high. Lower the beam and therefore the cut off line from the shutter so that the oncoming traffic does not see the bulb when on low beam. The cut off line should stay below their field of view.

Use High beam to be seen in the daylight hours. The fogs are useless in the day time and they are cut off from view.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

and most new motorcycle lights are too bright.

NO. Most new motorcycle lights are EXACTLY the brightness that the US DOT proscribes them to be. Sorry if you don't agree with the law of the land. Its not likely to change to suit your desires.

I will agree that many Spyders low beams are not correctly adjusted. Witnessed this in a number of group rides.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Hi,

Like you I have a RS and like you I've had people flash their lights at me even after making sure they are correctly adjusted. Tends to only happen at night/dawn/dust, not had the problem in the day.

I've noticed when riding behind a truck that the low beam lights do move up and down a bit even on quite smooth surfaces, even acceleration will do it. Certainly when 'correctly' adjusted it doesn't take much to take them to driver eye level and probably give the impression that I'm flashing the driver coming the other way.

I've now adjusted mine to slightly lower than recommended while keeping the road well lit but still get flashed occasionally.

Not sure if it's the same on the US wired Spyders but on the NZ ones there's three positions for the headlight lowbeam, highbeam and both (which you have to hold on). If someone flashes me now I just press the both position and they get the message:-)

Sounds like the Jeep driver is just a Munter.

Update: Looking at some picks of US RS's in another post I suspect NZ lights are setup differently. We have 4 headlights in total, 2 high-beams in the top 'fairing' and the 2 low-beams either side of the frunk. We don't have the shutter system mentioned in one of the earlier posts. Instead either the top high beams are on, or the low beam , or all four can be put on but only if you hold the switch in position.
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 06-18-2014 at 05:48 AM.

Spyder Garage

Dam it, I'm always ignored, unloved.. Now I feel left out, no one's flashed me?

If you see me coming down the road, flash me,make me feel like I'm noticed, special....

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The low beam lights do not flicker, they are NOT too bright (DOT regs), nor does the shutter bounce unless large bumps are encountered. Its the bike that moves and the demarcation line where the beam cuts off moves through the oncoming persons field of view. It makes it appear to flicker on and off like you are flashing your lights at them. If this is occurring at distances greater than about 30 yards, your headlights are adjusted too high. Lower the beam and therefore the cut off line from the shutter so that the oncoming traffic does not see the bulb when on low beam. The cut off line should stay below their field of view.

Use High beam to be seen in the daylight hours. The fogs are useless in the day time and they are cut off from view.
    I like your explanation. I think many here attribute it to shutter bounce; but, what you've said makes sense.

And, I always drive with my brights, during daylight hours.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post

If you see me coming down the road, flash me,make me feel like I'm noticed, special....

harry
    Try Mardi Gras; guaranteed to get flashed.

Spyder Garage

Whew that wore me out.
    Me too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    harry
    monroe13.jpg
    Feeling better now??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Silvervette05 View Post
    I run with every light I have , high beam everything, I wantto be seen , if the other guy does not like it, I, m sorry but I want to live. And have fun riding
    I'm like you, except I don't run my high beams at night when traffic is in front of me. Blinding oncoming vehicles makes me LESS safe, not MORE safe.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been flashed, and I've had folks pull over.
    But it's been really too infrequent for me to worry about!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I can ride all the way into work pass many vehicles and this is the only guy that has an issue.
    SO I WOULD SAY HE IS TRYING TO BREAK MY BALLS

I HIT THE IGNORE BUTTON THIS MORNING.

And yes i was sitting on the seat while adjusting lights. They were along ways out.According to the book they are exactly where there suppose to be.
    I marked the 2 lines on the garage door and adjusted them