Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403304224.243106.jpg
    Cut the dummy switch down. I think it will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Waiting for the confirmation...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

This reminds me of my last car: a new 2006 Dodge Charger R/T.

Chrysler did not have auto headlight option available in 2006. When it became available in 2007, I checked what parts I needed, and it was only the switch's plastic knob that had an "A" printed on it and on which the back was molded a bit differently to allow the switch to go one notch further.

I just "dremelled" the back of my 2006 knob and Voilą ! Auto headlight. It just pissed me off that Chrysler purposefully prevented me from using something that was already built into the car, with the hardware that I had already paid for.

...Ben...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MtlBen View Post
    It just pissed me off that Chrysler purposefully prevented me from using something that was already built into the car, with the hardware that I had already paid for.

...Ben...
    One of the dealers I asked about adding a cruise to my bike told me that it would be expensive. It would be cheaper to "trade up". If I had traded my bike in for a more expensive Spyder and later found out the cruise was already on the bike. I would not have been happy.

How many customers opted for the more expensive "Limited" models just to get Cruise?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Craniac View Post
    One of the dealers I asked about adding a cruise to my bike told me that it would be expensive. It would be cheaper to "trade up". If I had traded my bike in for a more expensive Spyder and later found out the cruise was already on the bike. I would not have been happy.

How many customers opted for the more expensive "Limited" models just to get Cruise?
    I opted for the limited because of the cruise and the radio. After I got it home I discovered that the saddlebags are pretty handy too.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    I opted for the limited because of the cruise and the radio. After I got it home I discovered that the saddlebags are pretty handy too.
    There's a spot on the side of the seat that if you Dremel a little bit, saddle bags will appear on each side.

2014 RS SM5 Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BonesDT View Post
    There's a spot on the side of the seat that if you Dremel a little bit, saddle bags will appear on each side.

Damn..... guess I should have gotten a RS and turned it into a RT Let me know when you find how to enable the 3rd cylinder and turn it into a 1330
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403304224.243106.jpg
    Cut the dummy switch down. I think it will work.

Took the bike for a test ride. The cut down switch did not work. The switch could not rock far enough to engage cruise. Went home and removed the face plate.
    Then went for a forty mile ride. Cruise worked perfect. It holds the speed going up hill and downhill. Needless to say I am very happy with the mod.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Took the bike for a test ride. The cut down switch did not work. The switch could not rock far enough to engage cruise. Went home and removed the face plate.
    Then went for a forty mile ride. Cruise worked perfect. It holds the speed going up hill and downhill. Needless to say I am very happy with the mod.
    I cut my blank down to use as a switch just like yours. You also have to cut the inside overhang to allow it to fully engage. Only problem now is, since it's only one bolt in the middle, the "switch" rotates in a circle.

I did not use a spring for the left hole. Just a solid plastic shaft with a rounded end cut to an exact length (just short of being flush) and it reliably holds down the ON button:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403401994.738569.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RS SM5 Black

Spyder Garage

If mine quits working, I might follow your lead.

I have been toying with ideas for a custom made switch. It works in my brain. The problem would be making it work in real life. You just need a way to push and hold one button, and momentary contact on the other two. The momentary contact is simple. Holding the "on" button down is the harder part. Push too hard and you could destroy the silicon pad.

I did grind away quite a bit of the back of the blank. Not quite enough. I didn't like how far out it stood. I was afraid something like a coat sleeve could accidentally catch it and tear it apart. I need to look at a factory switch to see how BRP did it.

Spyder Garage

I am a happy camper right now, cause I have cruise!!!! This is pretty easy mod over-all. I had an issue finding the correct tension for the on button, but I did and now it works. I used the pen spring and b.b. idea. I have found that not all pen springs are the same. I used a softer one cut 1/2 off and it didn't give me enough tension. Then I tried a stiffer pen spring and only cut about 1/4 off and it seems to work. Now I'm off to figure out a switch cover. BonesDT thank you for finding and posting this mod. I would have been pissed if I had bought the RS-S because I wanted cruise (like I almost did).

Spyder Garage

Went for a ride today. Found a nice decreasing radius turn. Had the cruise set. Apparently the Nanny wasn't having as much fun as I was. She turned the cruise control off.

So it looks like this mod provides all the factory safety features.

Spyder Garage

Went for a ride today. Found a nice decreasing radius turn. Had the cruise set. Apparently the Nanny wasn't having as much fun as I was. She turned the cruise control off.

So it looks like this mod provides all the factory safety features.
    Glad it works!! It doesn't take much of a shake of the bars to get nanny to cut you off

Spyder Garage

Has anyone finalized their switch plate. I haven't had a chance to make one yet and wondered if anyone has and how they made it. BTW.. I went for a nice ride today and the cruise worked perfectly. It's so nice to be able to give my right hand a break.

Spyder Garage

I copped out and took the "easy" way. I purchased a right hand housing switch for an RS-S (2013, same as my RS). The only difference between it and the stock housing is the cruise slider; otherwise they are identical right down to the connectors and wire colors. I can confirm that all the functionality of the cruise works perfectly on my RS, quite a nice feature.

The part number is 710003574 and I purchased it from powersportswarehouse.com for about $300.

20140906_175226.jpg
    Using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

If your interested in doing this mod but don't feel confident. I have for sale a complete right hand control with the mod already done. I posted it in the For Sale section of Spyder Lovers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hchays View Post
    Has anyone finalized their switch plate. I haven't had a chance to make one yet and wondered if anyone has and how they made it. BTW.. I went for a nice ride today and the cruise worked perfectly. It's so nice to be able to give my right hand a break.
    ......THAT'S what SHE said......
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Great stuff! "I see nothing, I hear nothing."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    ......THAT'S what SHE said......
    Well played sir, well played.....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Fantastic

I replace the switch with a switch out of an ST control unit from powersports and the cruise works like a charm.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tnpapa View Post
    I replace the switch with a switch out of an ST control unit from powersports and the cruise works like a charm.
    Where did you order the switch from? powersports? How much?
    2014 RS SM5 Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BonesDT View Post
    Where did you order the switch from? powersports? How much?
    Order it from powersports.com and it was 302.00

Spyder Garage

Would this switch replacement work on a 2012 RS or is it a completely different setup?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder ri View Post
    Would this switch replacement work on a 2012 RS or is it a completely different setup?
    No, Completely different setup. DBW vs Cable.

Spyder Garage

Thanks