Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Thank you, thank you, thank you! New to my Spyder(1 week & 800 miles so far) & new to the forum. I bought a used 2014 ST because it fit my budget. I wanted a ST-S for the cruise but I couldn't find one that fit my budget. Now, because of you guys I have the one option I really wanted! What an awesome find!

Thanks again,
    Mike
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default I'm Cruising!

2013 RS basic.

When I had my first service at the dealer I asked if he had any right-hand pull-offs and he gave me one that was bad but wasn't sent back to BRP for warranty. Today I took the plastic switch assembly out of the bad one and put it in the one on my RS and viola! I have cruise control!

Thank you so much to BonesDT, Craniac, and all those that helped here and made it so easy!

Charles
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Default vendor question

Quote Originally Posted by Jed_S View Post
    I copped out and took the "easy" way. I purchased a right hand housing switch for an RS-S (2013, same as my RS). The only difference between it and the stock housing is the cruise slider; otherwise they are identical right down to the connectors and wire colors. I can confirm that all the functionality of the cruise works perfectly on my RS, quite a nice feature.

The part number is 710003574 and I purchased it from powersportswarehouse.com for about $300.

Did you have any issues with this vendor? I looked them up and the BBB gave them an "F" rating.
    2014 RS+ , Excel 8.8 and NGK plugs Currently pearl white, Aircraft gray after rivets installed

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CoolSpyder2014 View Post
    Did you have any issues with this vendor? I looked them up and the BBB gave them an "F" rating.
    I've never had issues. I've purchased many things from them, too. They are physically located only 1.5 hrs from me so if I ever have problems I can go to the store. They are always way cheaper than anywhere else.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This is even more prevalent in the RT......It is way less expensive for the manufactorer to say run the EXACT same wiring harness including all the connectors ....than it is put in separate & different harnesses........Take the HEATED PASS. GRIPS on the RT ....I think if I just buy the SWITCH and connect it ......the heat elements are already in the grips .......I could be wrong..... ...but maybe not ...Mikeguyver
    Anyone know if this is true? My daughter would be sooooo happy with my. She was ticked i didnt get the S that had the heated passenger grips!!!

BTW congrats on coming up with this cruise mod, very clever.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

I just did this modification this weekend. It works great! I do need to come up with a better pin for the cruise activation shaft, but it works for now. Thanks for the info. Why BRP doesn't do this on the standard F3 is a mystery to me. But it really is quite a simple modification.

Spyder Garage

Default Cruise for everyone!!

Just got a used 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SM5 and really love it; consequently joined the forum.

I thought it had cruise because the pictures shows the instrument panel as Cruise OFF; but evidently, it's optional on the SM5 vs the SE5.

Anyway, really glad I found this thread. I found it when searching for a used RH Housing Switch that had the cruise control button by using the part number 710003574. This part number does not even show under the SM5 parts diagrams; had to go to the SE5 BTW.

So I followed the instructions from 2014 by BonesDT...thank you for sharing! Instructions were easy to follow and the cruise works great. I too used the cut down pen springs and BB's method. See my pic for dummy switch with springs and my Spyder where I bought it. As mentioned previously, the spring that pushes the cruise ON button needs to be fairly strong or it won't stay on.

Can't wait to get back on the road with my Spyder. If anyone lives in South Florida, give me a shout and let's go riding! It's the best time of year right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice to see another STS-SM5. Peggy's Spyder came with cruise, and I actually thought it was standard on the STS, and there's no mention
    of it being an option with the ST-S, or the ST-S Ltd. Learn something new everyday.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

I believe it's an ST vs ST-S difference, not a SM5 vs SE5 thing. The ST-S came standard with cruise. The ST does not have cruise. I had a 2014 ST SM5 and it didn't have cruise. My friend had a 2014 ST-S SM5 and it had cruise. Are you sure you have an ST-S? I did the same mod as you to ad cruise to my ST. Worked great!
    STSScreaminDemon, if the picture in your post is of your bike, it's an ST. Based on the wheels, frame color, and muffler shield covers.
    On the ST-S those things are black.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the replies Possible and Michaelscs. When I was doing my research, I had some confusion as well based on the wheels, frame color, and muffler shield covers. I expected to see the carbon black treatment on those items per this article: https://www.motorcycle.com/manufactu...iew-91433.html

But also per that article, the ST does not come in Circuit Yellow Metallic at all. And as mentioned in my previous post, this cruise RH Housing Switch part number does not even show under the ST-S SM5 parts diagrams; had to go to the ST-S SE5 layout. This seems to suggest that it is not standard on the SM5. The sticker on the bike definitely does say ST-S; of course stickers can be purchased and applied so no proof there.

I guess the bottom line for me is, it doesn't really matter since the main difference is just features/optics and the bike looks damn good to me (and now has cruise).

SpyderST-S.jpg

Happy riding gents.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is a bit odd, I tried to find the RH handlebar switch assembly in the parts manual, and can only find the LH assembly. And
    Peggy's ST-S is blacked out with black wheels, and the ST-S sticker.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Per the VIN lookup, it shows as an ST-S but like I said, I'm happy either way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by STSScreaminDemon View Post
    Per the VIN lookup, it shows as an ST-S but like I said, I'm happy either way.

SpyderVIN.jpg
    That is curious. Perhaps you have a hybrid! I think a previous owner did some upgrades. It definitely has ST-S fenders, but it also has yellow upper A-arms. Neither the ST or ST-S had body colored A-arms. It also has 2014 upper side panels. This was a service bulletin upgrade for 2013 models with heat issues. On the other hand, it has a ST handlebar.
    I do know the 2013 ST-S SM5 had cruise. When I bought my '14 ST SM5 I had also checked out two '13 ST-S SM5's and they both had factory cruise. In any case, I'm glad your enjoying your ST/ST-S and good job on the cruise upgrade!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Peggy's ST-S SM5 has body colored A-arm covers.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Thanks Michaelscs, you definitely know your stuff. I noticed the 2014 upper side panels as well, so "hybrid" it is. I really like how those air scoops look so bonus for me.

It's great that the engine loves the high RPM's. That's why I call her the Screamin' Demon. The 998cc's really move the bike even though it's 800+ lbs and I'm 200 lbs myself. I'll share one of my acceleration experiences on another thread that's more appropriate.

Spyder Garage

Reread the thread and it doesn't look like anyone found a switch cover solution other than ordering RH Housing Switch part number 710003574. Unfortunately, the price is up to $440 now so seems a bit much to get a plastic knob. My search on the Internet for a black knob meant for sliding has turned up nothing. I've search for "slider switch", "sliding knob", "sliding switch cover", on and on. Nothing. I think I might be able to make the original cover work like Craniac attempted. Just have to leave enough room between the cover and the switch to allow for the up and down rocking. I'll let everyone know if it works without looking ridiculous. If anyone has made something else work, please share the info. I'm using a small black screw now to give me leverage on the switch and it doesn't look too bad; may have to live with it if nothing else works.

Also to clarify the BB's I used, they were zinc plated .177 caliber (probably standard but decided to mention anyway). That's 4.5mm so I did have to enlarge the holes in the switch but only slightly; just shaved a few tenths of a mm really.

Spyder Garage

I was fortunate enough to have a friend that does some machining and he made an almost stock looking switch out of aluminum. That was over 5 years and 5 Spyders ago, so I'm afraid I can't give you any more details.

Spyder Garage

So I took the original cover and cut it down along the ridges on the back with a box knife. This is a pic of one side done.
    IMG_20210116_143556587.jpg

After all four sides were cut down, I added a plastic spacer on the screw to allow room for up and down rocking of the cover. Also, and very important, I beveled the top and bottom edges of the cover so they lay flat whenever I press on the top of the cover (for resume/accel) or the bottom (for set/decel). Pic is not the best focus but you get the idea.
    IMG_20210116_145603759.jpg

Works great and looks much better than just the screw sticking up. Most people would not even notice it's not factory. Will add final pic once I find the plastic insert to go over the screw head. That thing likes to hide sometimes.

Spyder Garage

Well since I started contributing to this thread, the RH Housing Switch part number 710003574 went from $440 to now $540. I think BRP caught on.

Consequently, I'm providing an option. Hopefully more people will discover they already have cruise control with a little effort.

So here's the old blank cover after being cut down
    IMG_20210119_120738583_HDR.jpg

Same cover at night
    IMG_20210117_201352080.jpg

View from top. The spacer could probably be reduced some but wanted to have reliable up and down action
    IMG_20210117_201440170.jpg

View from top when pressing accelerate
    IMG_20210117_201455067.jpg

Spyder Garage

Can someone post pics of placement of bb and springs in switch?