Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Out of Towner looking for way home

Hello Wisconsin!!!!!!!!!!!...My wife and I are currently in Minnesota and loving it!!..We are due to meet up with a few Spyderlovers that live here and see some of Minnesota from the seat of our Spyder..We live close to St Louis in Illinois and were wanting to see some Wisconsin on the way home...We don't have a lot of time,but what suggestions would you have?...Our initial thoughts...Since we are currently in the St Paul/Bloomington area.we though of taking highway 94 through Eau Claire...or coming down 61 on Minnesota side and crossing at LaCrosse to 90..Thanks in advance..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure that you can come up with something a lot better than I94. Have fun.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    Hello Wisconsin!!!!!!!!!!!...My wife and I are currently in Minnesota and loving it!!..We are due to meet up with a few Spyderlovers that live here and see some of Minnesota from the seat of our Spyder..We live close to St Louis in Illinois and were wanting to see some Wisconsin on the way home...We don't have a lot of time,but what suggestions would you have?...Our initial thoughts...Since we are currently in the St Paul/Bloomington area.we though of taking highway 94 through Eau Claire...or coming down 61 on Minnesota side and crossing at LaCrosse to 90..Thanks in advance..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Welcome to MN!

Check with the other MN Spyderlovers you're ryding with today. You will meet Les who helped me yesterday with my Tri Axis Handlebar install. I would recommend a beautiful ride along the Wisconsin side of the Mississippi River. The highway is WI state highway 35 and goes south along the river, beautiful views of the bluffs, river, etc. You can start on 35 by Prescott, WI and that will get you down to Lacrosse with a much better view than I-94!

We would have loved to join you, but we had set-up plans with another couple ryding today!

Have a great trip and be safe!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post

I would recommend you make your way east to the Mississippi river and follow the roads to down LaCrosse which parallel the river. That is some of the best scenery in the area. Go through the town of LaCrosse, won't take long, it is an incredibly historic river town. From there I would follow the river road down to Prarrie du Chien. The road is literally within view of the river all the way. From Prarrie du Chien I would suggest your next stop be Cassville, Wi which is also on the river. It is the only town within 200 miles either way with a ferry across the Mississippi. Take the ferry both ways as it's a great ride, and where you'd end up in Iowa is not really on your way. From Cassville then go to Dubuque. Big town, good for an overnight, easy to hook up to several different roads directly down to St. Louis.

Safe travels,

DubuqueSpyderRyder
    Last edited by DubuqueSpyderRyder; 06-15-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DubuqueSpyderRyder View Post
    I would recommend you make your way east to the Mississippi river and follow the roads to down LaCrosse which parallel the river. That is some of the best scenery in the area. Go through the town of LaCrosse, won't take long, it is an incredibly historic river town. From there I would follow the river road down to Prarrie du Chien. The road is literally within view of the river all the way. From Prarrie du Chien I would suggest your next stop be Cassville, Wi which is also on the river. It is the only town within 200 miles either way with a ferry across the Mississippi. Take the ferry both ways as it's a great ride, and where you'd end up in Iowa is not really on your way. From Cassville then go to Dubuque. Big town, good for an overnight, easy to hook up to several different roads directly down to St. Louis.

Safe travels,

DubuqueSpyderRyder
    The southwest quadrant of Wisconsin is without a doubt the best riding in the entire state of Wisconsin. I have been on every square inch of WI and would recommend someone to travel south along the river on either side of the river. Both sides offer their own views and features.

I would also say if anyone goes as far as Cassville... they have to stop at Potosi, WI at the Potosi Brewery restaurant. Neat place and good food. If not for food, at least for a break.
    Last edited by Illinois Boy; 06-15-2014 at 06:18 PM.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the suggestions!...We are spending tonight in Duluth,MN....I know..change of plans!!!..Now,please tell me the best roads from Duluth..We are thinking of going south of Lake Superior to Ashland and Bayfield,then south to "we don't know where,until we end up along the mississippi..Would I want to start at Prescot,or maybe Stillwater?.following your above directions..Anyone,please..thanks!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Go back through Wisconsin

We like the ride back to NOT be the interstate, so we go through WI, highway 53 and then 63 through Spooner, Cumberland, Turtle Lake, work your way to Hudson and then take a route to Prescott, WI for the river road on the Wisconsin side to Lacrosse.

Have a great and safe trip.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DubuqueSpyderRyder View Post

Safe travels,

DubuqueSpyderRyder
    Took a group of spyderlovers on this exact ride a few years ago. ( LaCrosse to Dubuque) After the ferry in Cassville I suggest you take the "Great River road" into Dubuque.

Very Happy '08 Spyder RS Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jvicker View Post
    Took a group of spyderlovers on this exact ride a few years ago. ( LaCrosse to Dubuque) After the ferry in Cassville I suggest you take the "Great River road" into Dubuque.
    This is the way we are going to go...This morning,we wnated to go to Pattison state park. We took 35 south,and kept going,going..no park..We then took back roads,across the bridge over St Louis River to South Duluth...We didn't know there was a 35 south in Minnesota AND Wisconsin......Needless to say,we seen some good back country in Wisconsin..We are now in Osceola,spending the night at a great hotel,called "River Valley Inn and Suites"..I recommend it...We are going to take your expert advice and follow 35 south to LaCrosse and Dubuque...Thanks to all of you for making this a great trip through Minnesota and Wisconsin..!!!!..If any of you are ever in Southern Illinois..Just holler!!

Spyder Garage

Default Miles of smiles!

Hope you enjoyed your rydes through MN and WI. Enjoy the "miles of smiles" ahead on your Spyder and be safe!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Spending another day in Osceola..Rain and thunderstorms..Another wave coming through later...Decided to take a day of rest since they are calling for sunshine tomorrow...Almost have my wife talked into learning how to help drive..Don't wanna spoil it now!!

Spyder Garage

Default Nice visit and ryde today with our friends from Illinois - Cyclelover63

Bob and Denise (Cyclelover63) are heading back home and were very close to where I live in MN. Therefore with a quick PM and phone call, we arranged to meet this morning. We did a couple hour ryde together and had lunch as they headed back south. We enjoyed the views on the "river road" by the Mississippi River on the WI side. Had lunch in Nelson, WI (Nelson Creamery).

A cool impromptu meeting and ryde that turned out great!

It was great to meet them! Spyderlovers is a great forum to allow people to communicate and gain new friends, new ideas, etc.

Enjoyed the day! Here's a few pics for your enjoyment!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 06-20-2014 at 05:32 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

We made it to Dubuque at 7:30 PM Friday...35 South is a great road by the river almost all of the way to Cassville.We stopped and ate at the Potosi Brewery that Illinoisboy recommended and ,boy,was he right!..Food was great,atmosphere was great,didn't taste the beer,but bought some to taste when we get home...I want to thank everyone for their recommendations and hospitality.....Les,Kathy and Jim took precious moments out of their lives to show us around...numerous others gave us "local secrets" to explore..We got lost and still seen great roads....We can't thank everyone enough..You don't know how much it meant to us..It made a good trip GREAT....Jim was right what he said about SPYDERLOVERS....I'm not sure Lamont meant to do exactly what he has done....I'm not sure anyone could have predicted how great SPYDERLOVER PEOPLE have made this forum....he has created a community of caring people that can't be beat!Thanks again LES,KATHY and JIM!!!..Thanks for the pictures too,JIM!!!..Final leg home tomorrow!!!

Made it home!!!!!!!!!..2,300 miles after leaving it!!!
    Last edited by cyclelover63; 06-21-2014 at 07:49 PM.