Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default still not happy!

l have posted before about my 2013 rs se5 , got quite a few response from you guys, thank you! I added a touring windshield and st bars it did help but still not happy with the noise level and ride comfort. I think a rt is what I need or maybe a HD trike, or Honda trike. In Oregon there is not much to choose from in the used department. Is the rt bike really more comfortable, worth the extra money ,there's nobody around here that I can compare with! Thank you for options. Dennis

Spyder Garage

Totally different world than Rs

Spyder Garage

Default RS v RT

I owned a 2012 RS SM5 that I did all the "touring/handling" mods on. I was very happy with it overall....... until I bought a 2011 RT last month. I never wanted the RT because I thought it looked stodgy. It is light years ahead of the RS in terms of rider and passenger comfort. For the way I ride (not super aggressive) it is a huge improvement in my riding experience every time I take it out. I'm thinking about buying a 2014 RT now!

Spyder Garage

We have a 2010 rt, over9000 miles since Oct. Love it, Great ride very comfortable for long rides.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

Default Two words..!!

Test Ryde..!! You should try the three you have in mind to compare. I can give you my opinion and so can many more but are they really going to help you decide..?? So for what it's worth..the 2014 RT will be the best if your looking for comfort smoothness power and handling. This from someone that rydes an RS and loves it....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You really do need to log some "Saddle-Time" on the main contenders:
    An RT, a Tri-Glide, and some sort of 'Wing conversion...

Please let us know what you think of them; happy hunting!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

There is a world of difference between the RS and the RT when it comes to comfort.

Here is a picture of my 2008 GS (now RS) decked out with over $6K worth of accessories--this was (pre-RT). It looked like a touring bike, but when the RTS Premier edition came out--I jumped to that. The difference was like night and day.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-13-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by denniswheat1 View Post
    l have posted before about my 2013 rs se5 , got quite a few response from you guys, thank you! I added a touring windshield and st bars it did help but still not happy with the noise level and ride comfort. I think a rt is what I need or maybe a HD trike, or Honda trike. In Oregon there is not much to choose from in the used department. Is the rt bike really more comfortable, worth the extra money ,there's nobody around here that I can compare with! Thank you for options. Dennis
    Noise, from my experience is mostly due to wind inside the helmet. A better helmet and/or earplugs worked for me. To test this just get some cheap foam ear plugs. Roll them between your fingers into tiny cylinders before inserting them. They will expand to fill the ear canal. I hear road traffic and the radio better, but the wind noise has gone away. Almost completely. A different helmet, full face, with a wind curtain can also help. but that is a lot more expensive than ear plugs. I can usually use the foam ear plugs 3 or 4 times before they give out. So I have a small handful of them in the glove box.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default will give it a try!

I have called three dealers about trading to a rt, they don't even call me back when they say they will. The nearest dealer is 90 miles away but I will go there and see if I can take a test ride. I should have done this all different from the start but didn't want to spend all the big bucks. Well I no a lot more about spyders now than I did 2 months ago, live and learn. By the way I wanted to go to three wheels because the wife wouldn't ride two wheels any more , now she wants a big backrest! I'll blame this all on her! Ha! Ha!

Spyder Garage

Default rS v rT

S = SPORT
    T = TOURING

Alan:
    2013 Spyder ST Limited
    TBR
    Black Series Slip-On Exhaust with M-5 Carbon Canister and P1X power tip and black bolt kit
    Fox Podium shocks
    BRP Carbon black sports rack & backrest
    Custom Dynamics LED converted taillights & black tag bolts
    WrapMySpyder carbon dash kit & GT stripes & graphics
    Bestem USA carbon side fairings, belt guards & under tail
    Procoat NZ powder coated wheels
    Hydrographics NZ carbon dipped front suspension covers, billet caps and dash surround
    Spyderpops 3D SS Grille set

Spyder Garage

I was a Harley rider and on two different occasions, I did a demo ride on a Tri-glide. I then did a demo ride on an RT (2013). I even had another HD rider friend do the same thing and he said I was right there was no comparison between the RT and the Tri-glide. So, I traded my 2009 Heritage Softail for the 2013 RT-L se. It was great, but then they came out with the 2014. So, I did have to trade for the 2014 RT-L se. It is the ultimate!! Try it, you will like it. Just saying.......
    Baja Ron Anti-sway bar
    Spyder Pop's skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Keep reading more posts about their experiences. The final decision is from you. Good luck and I can say I enjoy and love my 2012 RT SE5.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default trying to change!

Well I went to the can am dealer today to test ride a rt. It was an 014 rt limited, talk about the ride I loved it, didn't want to go back to the dealer! Going to try and make a deal in the near future, wish me the best!!

Spyder Garage

I love my RTS you only live once

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well I went to the can am dealer today to test ride a rt. It was an 014 rt limited, talk about the ride I loved it, didn't want to go back to the dealer! Going to try and make a deal in the near future, wish me the best!!
    Good Luck!!

Spyder Garage

Well Dennis did you pull the trigger on a 14 RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're waiting to hear if the deal got done!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rlynchtx View Post
    I owned a 2012 RS SM5 that I did all the "touring/handling" mods on. I was very happy with it overall....... until I bought a 2011 RT last month. I never wanted the RT because I thought it looked stodgy. It is light years ahead of the RS in terms of rider and passenger comfort. For the way I ride (not super aggressive) it is a huge improvement in my riding experience every time I take it out. I'm thinking about buying a 2014 RT now!
    STODGY...! I resemble that remark. Actually, I'm pretty aggressive and the RT suits me fine. I'm an old Harley rider with one in the garage that gets left behind every ride day in favor of the RT. I test drove the HD trike and there was no comparison with the Spyder. I hope this helps.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default about ready to give up!!!

Well I still don't have a RT yet. Went to dealer and test rode a HD trike and RT, still like the can am better. Now the dealer sold the trike I went to test ride and buy the day before I got there. They of course tried to sell me a machine that was more expensive, no deal! I asked them to locate what I wanted, they said we can do that. Haven't heard from them since. Called up a dealer in Washington 350 miles away they have new 012's and a 014 Rt sm6 which I want. They are not very interested in taking my machine in on trade. If I can get them to do something what about the 012 . Might get a better deal? I never test rode a older Rt, are they comfortable to ride. I don't really like the high rpm engine but maybe with all the other comforts I can deal with it!!IMG_20140616_130032.jpg

Spyder Garage

Did you happen to take a look at the ST? Still looks sporty but with a different seating postion like the RT. Also, there seems to be more storage if you get the limited with the side bage and the funk. Althought, the new engine in the 2014 RT are the cat's ass.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default ok!!

I have put ST bars on my machine, it sure was better, but I still need a backrest for the wife and a more comfortable seat for my old rear! I didn't want to throw more money at my rs and still not be happy. I figure if I buy a st I still will need a backrest maybe a seat? So RT I would like to get!