Thread: 2014's and ECO

Spyder Garage

Default 2014's and ECO

I've had my 2014 Limited for about a month and a half and have been experimenting with the ECO. Supposedly, this is the computer controlled system that advises when best to up shift to the next gear. I've noticed on a cold engine, "recommend" shifting out of 1st and 2nd gear happens at a RPM rate higher than I would have expected.....over 4k. Sometimes, it stays in a lower gear way too much longer than I'm actually comfortable with, and I keep waiting for the 'green' arrow to flash ..... once the bike is warm, only after a few minutes, the shifting seems to be much more in line with what I consider reasonable. Has anyone else done any research on this or noticed the same thing? The down shifting is great and unlike my older 2012, I never need to downshift under normal circumstances. I'll be heading out for a 3000 mile trip from Omaha to the east coast in July and will be able to gather more practical knowledge. I am testing this ECO to see if it actually makes a difference in MPG's.

Spyder Garage

Default Agree

Quote Originally Posted by ChicoFowler View Post
    I've had my 2014 Limited for about a month and a half and have been experimenting with the ECO. Supposedly, this is the computer controlled system that advises when best to up shift to the next gear. I've noticed on a cold engine, "recommend" shifting out of 1st and 2nd gear happens at a RPM rate higher than I would have expected.....over 4k. Sometimes, it stays in a lower gear way too much longer than I'm actually comfortable with, and I keep waiting for the 'green' arrow to flash ..... once the bike is warm, only after a few minutes, the shifting seems to be much more in line with what I consider reasonable. Has anyone else done any research on this or noticed the same thing? The down shifting is great and unlike my older 2012, I never need to downshift under normal circumstances. I'll be heading out for a 3000 mile trip from Omaha to the east coast in July and will be able to gather more practical knowledge. I am testing this ECO to see if it actually makes a difference in MPG's.
    with your observations. For me the ECO mode is a 'no use feature'..I've learned to "hear" when Studly wants to be shifted (which is right around 2800 rpm)...looking for the OK/green arrow was for me like .I also 98% of the time downshifted my 2010 but never downshift the '14. Have an awesome trip. I head to Durango and all points Colorado on Weds. First some Durango CO ryding, then the owner's event then north to Estes Park area for more CO ryding.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used Eco Mode for one tank on the "test" Spyder that I had. Hated it. Like Murphybrown said looking for the green arrow is . I have never used it on my own RTS SM6. I did not notice any improvement in gas mileage when I used it on the test SE
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I'm learning the shift points too, coming off a GS SM5. However, when letting my new RT downshift on its own, especially from 2nd to 1st and sometimes from 3rd to 2nd, it's really clunky and thunky. I only have 1,800 miles on the RT so I'm wondering if more miles on the tranny might help the rough downshifts? i noticed this clunking in ECO and non Eco mode.

I'm not totally sold on Eco mode anyway because when you have to pass, there isn't a lot of spunk. And I agree it's way hard to see the green arrow on a sunny day to up shift.
    Last edited by CentralCoastCA; 06-14-2014 at 10:45 AM.

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Similar observation

I tried the ECO mode briefly and quickly decided that I didn't like it and didn't find it necessary. Watching for the arrow was just annoying and took my attention off of what I was supposed to be doing, ie: paying attention to ryding. If you want to be economical in your ryding you can pretty quickly learn to hear/feel when the proper time to shift will be. If wanting to be frugal, shifting around 2500 to a max of 3000 seems to work well. I also didn't care for how the Spyder responded in ECO.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm totally with the general consensus. I tried the ECO mode around Springfield, but got annoyed with having to watch the indicator. Then I got out of it when pulling my trailer home, and haven't gone back since.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

The main value I've found is just seeing what RPMs BRP thinks it makes sense to shift at, which really helped me re-calibrate my sense of when to shift.

As for actually using it, I don't see much point in it.
    Last edited by MRH; 06-14-2014 at 11:29 AM. Reason: typo

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have never put my 14 RT-L in Eco Mode...8200 miles and counting!
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

I totally concur with your observations, as well as those posted in reply to your OP.

I don't like the ECO mode because of the waiting for the arrow to come on. I have been doing okay without the ECO mode so don't use it any more.

I had been shifting between 2500 and ballpark 2750, but find I like the operation better if I shift at 3000 or so. It seems to be more of in a powerband. I do not feel the mileage has been affected. I am still getting 36 mpg per tank.

I am also one that lets my "ear" listen for the shift point. Looking for the green arrow on the dash can get you into trouble when driving.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-15-2014 at 04:43 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let's face it; if you're looking for a Green Arrow on the dash , you're NOT looking where you should be!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Mine is very erratic. Sometimes doesn't indicate to shift until over 4K, other times it never gives an indication at all. Then it will work right a time or two. Totally unpredictable and inconsistent. I don't use it.

Spyder Garage

Default eco..!!

Was told by one of the original testers that the eco system made very little. Maybe in the future. Do have to say running it would be safer if they projected it on the winshield...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A Splash of GREEN light projected across the windshield momentarily wouldn't be a bad method of signaling the ride to stab the button...

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I too used the ECO to learn about the recommended shift points. I still have it on ECO, not to watch for the green arrow just because I never think about changing it.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

Default Eco mode

I agree with SllimG on this one. Mine is the same erratic and inconsistent sometimes not at all. Good to hear I am not the only one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Was told by one of the original testers that the eco system made very little. Maybe in the future. Do have to say running it would be safer if they projected it on the winshield...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    A Splash of GREEN light projected across the windshield momentarily wouldn't be a bad method of signaling the ride to stab the button...
    I'd rather have a frunk release button!!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How quickly we forget...

Spyder Garage

Default Murphy !!

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    with your observations. For me the ECO mode is a 'no use feature'..I've learned to "hear" when Studly wants to be shifted (which is right around 2800 rpm)...looking for the OK/green arrow was for me like .I also 98% of the time downshifted my 2010 but never downshift the '14. Have an awesome trip. I head to Durango and all points Colorado on Weds. First some Durango CO ryding, then the owner's event then north to Estes Park area for more CO ryding.

Murphy;
    See U in Durango.
    We are still traveling from SpyderFest !!!!
    wa3wheels How can u drop a raw egg onto a concrete floor without cracking it? *Any way you want, concrete floors are very hard to crack.

Spyder Garage

I also used it to learn about recommended shift points and now have it off now. I have no problem looking for green shift arrow but I did learn if leisure driving you can shift at very low rpm and hold the gear fine. I am in 3 at 25, 4th at 35, 5th at 45 and 6th at 50 and over so I hafe trained my ear to listen for the correct RPM now. if I am tickling the dragon I hold the shifts until much higher in the RPM band or if I am overtaking a vehicles to pass, I drop 2-3 gears fast, redline shift up and sling shot around. While not fast off the line, the 14 can accelerate like a banshee if using the gears.

I passed a spots bike that was stuck behind a line of 4 cars coming back on 20 last Sunday. Single lane, curves and hills it can be a bear if you get behind granny which was the case. I was around and safely inside the line with ample time even thought I had seen the headlights of a car crest the hill as I pulled out. At the next gas station the bike rider came over and asked "what have you got in that thing?" lol.. He said he could not believe how fast I got passed him and he thought I would never have time to pull back in. By the way.... I was pulling my fully loaded trailer at the time, lol.
    Last edited by bluestratos; 06-16-2014 at 09:12 AM.