Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I put 2 new Elka shocks on the front of my 2014 when new back in May of 2014...Within a month the oil leaked out of the left front one...Elka said to sent them both back and they would repair them and return ASAP...They repaired 1 shock only and returned them both... Their ASAP was NOT even close to my ASAP expectations...

Now, 26,000 miles later my Spyder sits in the garage with TWO oil spots on the floor under BOTH Elka shocks...So here we go again...Just glad its winter and not prime riding season...
    One of my Elka's also developed an oil leak about 18 months into ownership. I contacted Elka and they referred me to their only authorized service center in the US. The shop's price was somewhat high and the turnaround time was not all that great. So, I used my motorcycle knowledge and connections and instead used a local motorcycle suspension shop. The price was better and the turnaround time was good too. The Elka's are nothing special in terms of technology, in fact, they're pretty standard technology and any knowledgeable suspension shop can do the work.

An interesting thing (and not good) my local suspension guy found out was that Elka has some kind of issue or problem with these shocks. When he went to order replacement seals, Elka wouldn't sell the seals for these units, they would only sell the entire internal valving unit (called: the head). This is highly unusual, so my guy called them out on it (in a phone conversation placing the part order). The person at Elka would not comment and would only say that once the replacement head was used, then you could order seals only. This indicated to my guy that there was some kind of manufacturing defect that they don't want to discuss. So, if you have the updated shock head, rebuilding should be much easier, faster, and cheaper; especially if you use an aftermarket suspension shop.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    One of my Elka's also developed an oil leak about 18 months into ownership. I contacted Elka and they referred me to their only authorized service center in the US. The shop's price was somewhat high and the turnaround time was not all that great. So, I used my motorcycle knowledge and connections and instead used a local motorcycle suspension shop. The price was better and the turnaround time was good too. The Elka's are nothing special in terms of technology, in fact, they're pretty standard technology and any knowledgeable suspension shop can do the work.

An interesting thing (and not good) my local suspension guy found out was that Elka has some kind of issue or problem with these shocks. When he went to order replacement seals, Elka wouldn't sell the seals for these units, they would only sell the entire internal valving unit (called: the head). This is highly unusual, so my guy called them out on it (in a phone conversation placing the part order). The person at Elka would not comment and would only say that once the replacement head was used, then you could order seals only. This indicated to my guy that there was some kind of manufacturing defect that they don't want to discuss. So, if you have the updated shock head, rebuilding should be much easier, faster, and cheaper; especially if you use an aftermarket suspension shop.
    The parts actual name is known as the sealhead. This is the item that the shaft runs thru. Sealheads typically will not only plug the shock body, but often have some type of DU bushing, the oil seal and dust wiper also as part of tne assembly.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    I had heard that about Elkas that is why I went and got the Fox shocks ...why pay more and get more problems. There was a rumor going around at some stage that if you owned Elkas you have to send them back every year to get the seals changed out and to keep them in warranty, the rumor was squashed by Elka saying that sending them back once a year only applies to their racing shocks. Here is an example of Elka shocks both leaking oil at 26,000 miles just my point of view and I am sure there are many Spyders with Elkas on that have not had any oil leaks and the owners are very happy with Elkas I just did not want to go through having to take off shocks possible during prime riding season which some times is very short and have to wait on Elka so send them back.
    We have had Fox on our 14 RTS for a long time now. No complaints. I had a guy ask me about shocks, and explained he wanted to get rid of the Fox stuff on the Spyder he just purchased. He informed me he wanted stock shocks and he offered to trade even, stock for Fox. Did that and now have spare Fox Shox on the shelf if needed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    We have had Fox on our 14 RTS for a long time now. No complaints. I had a guy ask me about shocks, and explained he wanted to get rid of the Fox stuff on the Spyder he just purchased. He informed me he wanted stock shocks and he offered to trade even, stock for Fox. Did that and now have spare Fox Shox on the shelf if needed.
    Will they fit a 2012 RTL?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Will they fit a 2012 RTL?
    Not even close to being for sale, and no, they will not fit

Spyder Garage

I just bought a 2013 RTS, how can I tell if the anti swaybar is original or upgraded?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Philmeeker View Post
    I just bought a 2013 RTS, how can I tell if the anti swaybar is original or upgraded?
    This one is from 6/2014

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red