Thread: Great Ride!

Spyder Garage

Cool Great Ride!

Hi All. Just have to add my two cents to the positive accolades shared about the 2014 Spyders. Put about 100 miles on my new 2014 RT limited this week and the difference between this machine and the 2012 I traded is amazing. Loved the 2012, but this machine is a quantum leap forward...in my humble opinion. Tranny is really smooth as is the ride in general. Had to unlearn the "keeping it above 4000 rpms". Using the shift points shared by Lamont in another post, can't even feel it shift. The low end torque...what can you say...wow!

Have a question about the ignition though.I depress the key to release the trunk and the latch allows the trunk to open but doesn't spring back to allow the trunk lid to lock without some serious persuasion. Has anyone encountered this and what are your suggestions? Thanks for the heads up.

Continue to be a very happy and excited Spyder rider.
    Last edited by BaldEagle; 06-11-2014 at 11:26 PM.
    Old - 2012 RTS

New - 2014 RT Limited. Spyderpops Bumpskid. Kott Grills, Bajaron Swaybar and Links, Polaris Shock Stiffeners, Custom Dynamics Brightsides Red and Yellow Fender Lights w/Turn Signal Module, Autozone Mirror LEDs, Custom Dynamics Rear Red Brightsides and HMT Brakelight with Strobe Module, Smoothspyder, Lidlox Handlebar Helmet Locks, Glo ryder 360's for Three Wheels, Pete's Graphic Kit, Mini Trailer USA Shadow.

And Growing!

Spyder Garage

Default Frunk locking

On both my Spyders, I had to align the front trunk to better align with the locking mechanism and square it up to the bike (equal clearance on each side). You can align this frunk lid by loosening the bolts at the hinge point and retighten when aligned correctly. That helps. Also, the rubber gasket does get loose once in awhile and is worth checking especially if you're having trouble closing the frunk lid....just make sure the gasket is seated all the way around. Last option would be to check your latching mechanism to make sure it's at the right height. On my 2012 RT Limited, the latch got pushed down a little due to the fastener not being tightened from the dealer (only had about 500 miles on it). I just pulled it up a little and tightened it down for a proper fit.

Hope this helps ....and enjoy your new ryde!
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 06-11-2014 at 11:30 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Adjustment..!!

does seem that it is an adjustment issue or cable routing. Maybe a bit of lube would help....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I agree the 14 RT's are fantastic. I am amazed every time I ride it. Good luck with your latch and let us know what you discover.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    does seem that it is an adjustment issue or cable routing. Maybe a bit of lube would help....
    I agree Chupaca. No problem getting trunk open. Problem is it is difficult to get it to latch when closing. If I depress the key in the ignition and wiggle it back and forth, eventually, the latch will click and then the lid will latch. Thinking something is sticking in the ignition switch.

Thanks for the feedback folks.
    Old - 2012 RTS

New - 2014 RT Limited. Spyderpops Bumpskid. Kott Grills, Bajaron Swaybar and Links, Polaris Shock Stiffeners, Custom Dynamics Brightsides Red and Yellow Fender Lights w/Turn Signal Module, Autozone Mirror LEDs, Custom Dynamics Rear Red Brightsides and HMT Brakelight with Strobe Module, Smoothspyder, Lidlox Handlebar Helmet Locks, Glo ryder 360's for Three Wheels, Pete's Graphic Kit, Mini Trailer USA Shadow.

And Growing!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the same problem. i discovered it while I was still at Spyderfest & took it to the Pit Bull service guys. They made sure the frunk lid was aligned right. But they said it was how I operated the switch with the key! I still have to manipulate the switch to make sure it's set right to latch the frunk lid. I don't think it's right, but I deal with it. I may have the BRP or dealer guys look at it at BRP-OE.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Switch?

It's certainly possible that it's the switch mechanism.....However, I have had two Spyder RT's and both worked just fine after the frunk lid was aligned and the actual latch was located properly (up or down) to have the frunk lid close to the desired level. Could also be cables from switch to latch. How's the seat latch operating at your switch? Is that OK or difficult like the frunk lid?

I know it can be frustrating....I would have the dealer look at it -- I don't buy that it's your technique at the switch...something's wrong! IMHO.

Good luck!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Same issue here. Going to have the dealer check it out when I bring in for first oil change service in about a week.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have not had that problems with my 2014 but I do know someone else who is having the same problem. The interesting thing is that she had to wait for delivery of her Spyder due to the ignition/key service bulletin. Do any of you know if your Spyders were manufactured after the key issue came up?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Bring back the frunk button!

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I have the same problem. i discovered it while I was still at Spyderfest & took it to the Pit Bull service guys. They made sure the frunk lid was aligned right. But they said it was how I operated the switch with the key! I still have to manipulate the switch to make sure it's set right to latch the frunk lid. I don't think it's right, but I deal with it. I may have the BRP or dealer guys look at it at BRP-OE.
    Well PS, I agree with you. I'll have da boyz check it out next time I'm in. Just wish they hadn't taken away our frunk switch. How much can that cost them? May be why they call it a limited. By the way, I doubt the alignment has much to do with this problem as the problem corrects itself with a click while the trunk lid is open. I can then close the lid and it latches. Still convinced something in the key switch. No matter, we'll figure it out. In the mean time, I can use the frunk lid as a giant Baker air wing.
    Last edited by BaldEagle; 06-12-2014 at 07:30 PM.
    Old - 2012 RTS

And Growing!