Spyder Garage

Default Passenger foot rests

Any good idea on how to loosen the bolts for the passenger foot rests ?
    I tried using the tool in the tool kit and a allen wrench on a socket, just managd to burr the bolt heads up. Tryed putting wd-40, but no help.
    I know about the jam nuts on back and they were removed already.
    First time in years, my wife has wanted to ride with me, but the foot rests are way to low.
    thanks for any ideas.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Floorboards or footrests? My floorboards didn't have jam nuts (that I noticed anyway) and I used the tool from the toolkit and a screw driver blade

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The ones on my 2010 were socked-in pretty tight also ...
    It just takes a lot of care, andsome liquid wrench!
    Alternately; try putting some heat on the bolt to loosen it up...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default I believe all, or at least mine used a typical 3/8" drive

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    Any good idea on how to loosen the bolts for the passenger foot rests ?
    I tried using the tool in the tool kit and a allen wrench on a socket, just managd to burr the bolt heads up. Tryed putting wd-40, but no help.
    I know about the jam nuts on back and they were removed already.
    First time in years, my wife has wanted to ride with me, but the foot rests are way to low.
    thanks for any ideas.
    Oldmanzues
    socket. I am not sure of the head size, but I think it is 10mm or 13mm.
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post
    Floorboards or footrests? My floorboards didn't have jam nuts (that I noticed anyway) and I used the tool from the toolkit and a screw driver blade
    The jam nuts are all the way at the end under the Spyder. I guess to keep it from falling off if you can get the bolt out that far.
    Whater the right name is, they are passenger foot rests on a 2010 RT. The fastener you can see from the outside goes in a block on the frame
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

What is your ride and are they stock floorboards, or pegs? For 2013 BRP changed the floorboard attachment on the RT from an Allen head bolt to a Hex head bolt on the RT. Definitely metric, not SAE. Bolt head on the floorboard side, nut on the backside. When loosened, you can move the floorboard up or down as you wish.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Well now..!!

this would be a good time to beg borrow or steal a hammer operated impact driver. Best friend to the byke owners...air impact will work or electric as well. That and some penetrating oil and your set....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is this the "BFH theory of bolt buggering-up"?
    I'm not allowed to play with anything sharp, expensive, or capable of more damage, than can be fixed in two minutes!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    What is your ride and are they stock floorboards, or pegs? For 2013 BRP changed the floorboard attachment on the RT from an Allen head bolt to a Hex head bolt on the RT. Definitely metric, not SAE. Bolt head on the floorboard side, nut on the backside. When loosened, you can move the floorboard up or down as you wish.
    2010 stock foot "boards" This problem is probably why they changed it. Nice feature, if you can get it to work.
    Thanks for the help, everybody
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I found that a regular socket was too thick to fit into the counter sunk hole the bolt is in. I had to use the socket tool in the Spyder tool kit along with the screwdriver shaft in the tool kit. The bolts were a bit tight but I was able to get them loose. Don't take them all the way out! Just enough to slide the foot rest up. Hope this helps.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCTRIKER View Post
    I found that a regular socket was too thick to fit into the counter sunk hole the bolt is in. I had to use the socket tool in the Spyder tool kit along with the screwdriver shaft in the tool kit. The bolts were a bit tight but I was able to get them loose. Don't take them all the way out! Just enough to slide the foot rest up. Hope this helps.