Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Won't Shift Into Reverse

Ok, ryding home from work yesterday and it was about 102 outside. No heat issues at all, bike ran cool for the temp and some stop n go traffic. Really enjoyed the ryde. I stopped by the house to pick something up before heading to the store, got back on the bike started it up, went to put it in reverse and nothing happened. I started it in Neutral, had my foot on the brake, and it would not engage. Put it back in Neutral and rolled it down the drive way and off to the store. After leaving the store same issue no reverse. Checked the oil as soon as I got home so temp was up. Plenty of oil, In fact it had just been changed about 200 miles ago. Any thoughts as to what might have caused this. I have not checked it today, but will tonight.

Thanks in advance.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is really gonna seem like a dumb question...
    Did you try taking a really GOOD stab at that reverse button, before trying to get it to drop into reverse?
    (I sometimes take my right thumb, and lay it on the button, and THEN start looking for the downshift paddle... )

Otherwise; try pulling up any active error codes...
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have to agree with Bob Denman.
    I had a 2014 spyder out for a long ride this weekend. I found sometimes I had to use my right thumb and push the reverse button first and then use the paddle shifter.
    Did not have to do this very often though just when the bike was run a long time and was warm.

Spyder Garage

Check your fuses. F7 I believe, on 2012 RT and prior. It will tell you on the panel box which is it for the reverse actuator.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I never thought of the electrical side of the equation...
    Good Catch!

Spyder Garage

Default Duh!

Must have been the heat........10,000 miles and thanks to your "really dumb question"' Bob, I juts realized the extremely STUPID answer to the problem.........I didn't hit the FRIGGIN REVERSE BUTTON!!!!!!!!!! Wow, rookie mistake!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Must have been the heat........10,000 miles and thanks to your "really dumb question"' Bob, I juts realized the extremely STUPID answer to the problem.........I didn't hit the FRIGGIN REVERSE BUTTON!!!!!!!!!! Wow, rookie mistake!
    Glad to hear that it worked!

Sorry... but
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Default agree

with checking the fuse and then the selenoid/actuator. The button pressure I'm sure you tried usually the first thing we do, if it don't work get a bigger hammer, but worth a try as well....hope its just a momentary glitch...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well; at least there was nothing wrong with the bike...

Don't worry about it a bit! Sometimes, all of the dang trees get in our way; making it tough to see the forest!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-11-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Yep

Amen!

Spyder Garage

We all do stuff like that. Been there, done that, have the t-shirt.

PS. Very brave to admit that in public. But--way to go.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Ugh

Hey I am just glad that I didn't take it to the dealer for repair!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How much do they charge per hour for THAT???
    (Sorry... D's right; a brave admission! )

Spyder Garage

Red face Shifting Spyder Limited into reverse

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    This is really gonna seem like a dumb question...
    Did you try taking a really GOOD stab at that reverse button, before trying to get it to drop into reverse?
    (I sometimes take my right thumb, and lay it on the button, and THEN start looking for the downshift paddle... )

Otherwise; try pulling up any active error codes...
    Good Luck!

Had the same problem. Your solution worked great for me!! Many thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default going to have to !

Hey I am just glad that I didn't take it to the dealer for repair!
    the dealer will say " going to have too take the engine out , probably the linkage to the gas cap that is used to make it go into position with the throttle body deal-lee-o thing , take about 5 weeks , and the estimate is 5 000 if you could pay half now we appreciate your business .... here have a logo cap for free ......

Spyder Garage

Yeah mine wouldn’t start then realized I forgot to push the brake pedal. I don’t know where my brain goes some days
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Question

Did something similar with my old 900F but it was the kill switch ,which got accidentally activated while loading the bike. Caused 10 minutes of grief in a parking lot till my lover ( now wife ) said " what is this switch for???? "
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

took me into my third season to find out i coud shift from first directly
    to reverse. read it here. dealer told me to put it in neutral, then reverse.
    doesnt clunk either.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Curiously enough: the 2018s don't require a foot on the brakes; in order to shift into reverse...

But they DO need a foot on the pedal in order to engage first!

I have a theory about this; does anybody else?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    I have to agree with Bob Denman.
    I had a 2014 spyder out for a long ride this weekend. I found sometimes I had to use my right thumb and push the reverse button first and then use the paddle shifter.
    Did not have to do this very often though just when the bike was run a long time and was warm.
    I'm on my 4th Spyder and found BRP changed the sequence on going into reverse!! believe they did it on the 2014's - maybe when they went to 3 cylinders??
    You all can have your laugh on this one as I went back to my dealer when I could not get into reverse and found the sequence changed?? duh??
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

WOW, nice to know, I bought a 2018 RTL and can't pick it up yet due to the covid 19 restriction to local regions. I am hoping to have it in the next few weeks, they are starting to talk about removing the restrictions slowly.