Spyder Garage

Default Lamonster highway pegs

I had Lamonster's highway pegs installed on my 2013 ST at Spyderfest. Is there any way to adjust them so my foot is out of the way of the vent on the right side?

Spyder Garage

I can tell you what made a BIG difference on my ST with this problem. I have identical setups on my GS and ST, but the ST would cook my right foot even at highway speeds.
    After looking for a reason between the two, I discovered they have filled in the area between the radiator and body panel with plastic.
    I used my Dremel and cut off wheel to remove this piece, it only took a couple of minutes.
    The cool or ambient air will now come in through the 2 vertical slots in the front of the engine side panels.
    At speed this will let some cool air in around the side of the radiator and it will mix with and disrupt the radiator air flow that pours out of the black hole.
    There is no difference on the temp bars. I hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    I can tell you what made a BIG difference on my ST with this problem. I have identical setups on my GS and ST, but the ST would cook my right foot even at highway speeds.
    After looking for a reason between the two, I discovered they have filled in the area between the radiator and body panel with plastic.
    I used my Dremel and cut off wheel to remove this piece, it only took a couple of minutes.
    The cool or ambient air will now come in through the 2 vertical slots in the front of the engine side panels.
    At speed this will let some cool air in around the side of the radiator and it will mix with and disrupt the radiator air flow that pours out of the black hole.
    That's a good note, I'll have to look into this myself.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post

Okay, got around to doing this...only took about 10 minutes. lol

Still have to try it out though.

I cut out 2 chunks...

Front view after cuts...

Cant even tell w/ cover back on....

Here is a view from the rear looking through the radiator vent hole....you can clearly see the new openings....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

As a matter of conversation, those plates didn't exist on previous previous years of the gs/rs, and spyderpops came up with foam blocks that were glued there to force more air through the radiator to help increase airflow through the radiator. Helped decrease temps on bikes that were running hot. I would carefully monitor engine temps to make sure it doesn't run significantly hotter.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by msj4848 View Post
    As a matter of conversation, those plates didn't exist on previous previous years of the gs/rs, and spyderpops came up with foam blocks that were glued there to force more air through the radiator to help increase airflow through the radiator. Helped decrease temps on bikes that were running hot. I would carefully monitor engine temps to make sure it doesn't run significantly hotter.
    Per others who have done this there weren't any increase, but I will keep a check on it.

Easy enough to modify back.

It will be a great improvement to my foot and ankle if it works though.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have another problem with Lamonster's highway mounts. They are too short! Many of us ride Spyders because we're short and normal bikes are difficult. Myself and one other Ryder find it a reach to use the highway pegs. I emailed Lamonster and asked if there was a longer arm and how does one put the black caps on the bolts after you've tightened all the bolts as they are so close to touching the bike's plastic panel. Lamonster's response is "That's as long as I recommend using"

Guess I'm on my own to figure out the problems. I have a friend that has made me some longer arms and I might give them a try. The only way to get the caps on is once the mounts are set, remove the two bolts that hold them on to the underside of bike and then put the caps on and then bolt them back on. Don't think I'll look for anything else from Lamonster.

Picture shows how close the bolts come to the side piece.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403886661.107035.jpg

Susie
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Cutting off that piece worked great! I did it yesterday, and took the ST out for a 20+ mile run. No increase on engine temp, and my right foot didn't cook from heat exhausting out of the radiator vent.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderrider12 View Post
    Cutting off that piece worked great! I did it yesterday, and took the ST out for a 20+ mile run. No increase on engine temp, and my right foot didn't cook from heat exhausting out of the radiator vent.

Mine is better at speed as long as not too many stops...where it warms up a bit.

No change in engine temps.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderrider12 View Post
    I had Lamonster's highway pegs installed on my 2013 ST at Spyderfest. Is there any way to adjust them so my foot is out of the way of the vent on the right side?
    By some half chaps ... they solved the problem for me! http://www.chilhowee.net/motorcycle-...071106001.html

Spyder Garage

We bent our out a bit then bowed them slightly so my foot would stay on. After doing almost 3000 mile I wouldn't give them up, they've made my 3.5 week ride much more comfortable. Only 1500 more miles to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I have another problem with Lamonster's highway mounts. They are too short! Many of us ride Spyders because we're short and normal bikes are difficult. Myself and one other Ryder find it a reach to use the highway pegs. I emailed Lamonster and asked if there was a longer arm and how does one put the black caps on the bolts after you've tightened all the bolts as they are so close to touching the bike's plastic panel. Lamonster's response is "That's as long as I recommend using"

Guess I'm on my own to figure out the problems. I have a friend that has made me some longer arms and I might give them a try. The only way to get the caps on is once the mounts are set, remove the two bolts that hold them on to the underside of bike and then put the caps on and then bolt them back on. Don't think I'll look for anything else from Lamonster.

Picture shows how close the bolts come to the side piece.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403886661.107035.jpg

Susie
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk