Spyder Garage

Default Handling Problem

Maybe it is just me, but this seems odd. I now have 5k on my 2012 RT-S. From early on, I installed a Bajaron sway bar. That firmed things up some. Today, I reset the front springs to their highest tension. That made a major difference as well. Still, one thing nags at me. When taking tight turns at any degree of speed, it seems like the front end locks up and pushes itself. I can't say I hear it as much as feel it, but there is a "growl" type of feeling/noise and it feels like someone threw an anchor out, it is as if the bike won't turn that tight. I am not talking terrible radius turns, I am talking about taking boulevard turn arounds at 25-30 mph. Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a solution? I had hoped that the increased spring rate would help, I was thinking maybe I was bottoming out the suspension, but that doesn't seem to be it. I am having this happen when riding alone, and I weigh just over 200 pounds. Help?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would try lifting the front end to see if everything moves freely when you turn the handlebars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by reverendg View Post
    Maybe it is just me, but this seems odd. I now have 5k on my 2012 RT-S. From early on, I installed a Bajaron sway bar. That firmed things up some. Today, I reset the front springs to their highest tension. That made a major difference as well. Still, one thing nags at me. When taking tight turns at any degree of speed, it seems like the front end locks up and pushes itself. I can't say I hear it as much as feel it, but there is a "growl" type of feeling/noise and it feels like someone threw an anchor out, it is as if the bike won't turn that tight. I am not talking terrible radius turns, I am talking about taking boulevard turn arounds at 25-30 mph. Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a solution? I had hoped that the increased spring rate would help, I was thinking maybe I was bottoming out the suspension, but that doesn't seem to be it. I am having this happen when riding alone, and I weigh just over 200 pounds. Help?
    I think nanny is kicking in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by reverendg View Post
    Tight turns and high speeds is the key. I can make mine do the same thing in a parking lot or out on the road. This is to keep you stable. Let up on the shocks and it will change when this occurs. I first noticed it while doing the Tail of the Dragon with my wife on board. Nanny cut the throttle/applied the outside brake 14 times as I scooted around those curves.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnirtsnod View Post
    Tight turns and high speeds is the key. I can make mine do the same thing in a parking lot or out on the road. This is to keep you stable. Let up on the shocks and it will change when this occurs. I first noticed it while doing the Tail of the Dragon with my wife on board. Nanny cut the throttle/applied the outside brake 14 times as I scooted around those curves.
    This makes sense......when I first noticed it last year (new spyder) I was able to get it doing the same thing in the local college parking lot turning tighter and faster until it did this. With the front springs maxx'ed out there should not be any bottoming of the suspension, and I would feel the dive if so, since she sits higher now. That is what threw me, if it was alignment related I would have expected scrub on the inside wheel, and this feels like an outside wheel scrub.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you had the Rolo laser alignment?

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default The nanny..!!

That would be the nanny kicking in and telling you how you should ryde...I still think there should be settings like "touring", "sport" and "race". I have heard that if you have made changes to the front end you can have the yaw reset and it will help. But the better you get the faster you go the more the nanny yells at you..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Have you had the Rolo laser alignment?

Chris
    No, but I haven't had any handling issues at speed either. I have considered it. Also recently picked up a used 2013 windshield, love the difference those little holes make. I turned the radio down a couple clicks since that install.

Spyder Garage

Default Nanny Confirmed

Riding home this morning it was overcast, having rained during the night. Typically I try to keep my head out of the gauge cluster and on the road, especially when maneuvering. Going around a few tight corners today I made a point of keeping my peripheral vision on the gauges. Saw the nanny light come on twice. The first time, I was coasting through the corner, and it didn't seem to do anything noticeable to counter, but on the second occasion the light blipped on and the symptoms I was describing earlier happened simultaneously.
    It feels good to have a real answer to the situation.
    Thanks guys!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mystery solved!
    Glad to hear that it was just "engineering", and not a problem.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    That would be the nanny kicking in and telling you how you should ryde...I still think there should be settings like "touring", "sport" and "race". I have heard that if you have made changes to the front end you can have the yaw reset and it will help. But the better you get the faster you go the more the nanny yells at you..
    Sorry but I disagree. The better you get meaning braking at the right time and accelerating at the right time and rate through the curve the faster you can take curves without the nanny bothering you

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your just becoming more comfortable on the machine and being more aggressive, so your seeing some nanny functions you didn't before. Now you'll spend time relearning how to ride to not piss her off.....haha

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    Sorry but I disagree. The better you get meaning braking at the right time and accelerating at the right time and rate through the curve the faster you can take curves without the nanny bothering you
    Very true. You begin to feel where its going to kick in and adjust your riding style accordingly.

This is probably most noticeable when getting hot into tight turns from a stop. If you get on it hard with the bars turned it kicks in. Get your turn done early and the bars more straight before you get on it and your golden......

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk