Spyder Garage

Default New BRP backrest

I broke down and ordered the new larger backrest for the Spyder from BRP. Installation of this accessory was the easiest so far as I have broken bolts on my other mods. Bracket fits into the frame inbetween the brake lights after you remove the back cover. Also have to remove the saddle bags and the saddlebag bracket on the left side to gain access underneath the seat. Then once installed the backrest fits right into the installed bracket and removes with a torx wrench supplied. A top cover then fits over the installed cover when you remove the back rest and everything is nice and clean for those times when you don't have a passenger. I was surprized at the size of the backrest. Definetly in larger than the older adjustable in years prior. It wraps around the side of your back so helps with more secure feeling for your passenger. Very nicely padded as well.

Spyder Garage

The UPS guy is supposed to deliver mine today. That stinks that you have to remove that much stuff. I was hoping for just taking the tail cover off and then installing a few screws. Guess I'll have more fun then I intended
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

I tried to not remove the saddle bags, saddle bag bracket and also left side turn signal mount but couldn't get in there to put in the main frame bolt which has to go in from the left side right beside the turn signal bracket mount....so best to follow the directions that come with it. The bracket fits very tight between the brake lights so just angle it a little and it will go right in. Once in the frame I had to hit it once with a rubber mallet to line up the hole for the main frame bolt.

The back rest certainly follows the lines of the bike and seems really sturdy....won't loose your passenger.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve67 View Post
    I tried to not remove the saddle bags, saddle bag bracket and also left side turn signal mount but couldn't get in there to put in the main frame bolt which has to go in from the left side right beside the turn signal bracket mount....so best to follow the directions that come with it. The bracket fits very tight between the brake lights so just angle it a little and it will go right in. Once in the frame I had to hit it once with a rubber mallet to line up the hole for the main frame bolt.

The back rest certainly follows the lines of the bike and seems really sturdy....won't loose your passenger.....
    Only took me about an hour or so....

Spyder Garage

I have not seen anything bad mentioned about the new BRP backrest yet. Looks like they have a good item there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Well,
    The good news is it showed up just as expected... The bad news is it got a little damage from the parts shaking around in the box

Would you install it or get a different one?Back Rest damage.jpg
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

If you like your stuff pristine, you have a legitimate complaint. Perhaps the vendor will give you a little adjustment allowance for pain and suffering if you keep it as is.

Bad packing that allowed damage to happen is a good excuse.

Not sure if I would return for an exchange--but that is going to be your final call.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    If you like your stuff pristine, you have a legitimate complaint. Perhaps the vendor will give you a little adjustment allowance for pain and suffering if you keep it as is.

Bad packing that allowed damage to happen is a good excuse.

Not sure if I would return for an exchange--but that is going to be your final call.
    Yeah,
    Thanks.... I was thinking the same thing. I'm pretty damn anal about how my stuff looks but I could live with it maybe. I'll be pretty damn close to leaving on a trip if the next one takes as long to get here as the first one did. I think it's necessary for my passenger on the trip where we'll be riding 300+ mile days

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know..!!

we have the older adjustable and works great. Not cheap..!! Sounds like the new one is somewhat better with the added benefit of the rack...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Wheb you pay that amount of money for something expect it not to be damaged when it arrives....too bad...