Spyder Garage

Default After Market Trailer Hitch

Anybody using this NON OEM hitch?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360957255368
    2011 RT LTD /MODS: Seal Floorboards, Elkas, SpyderPops Bump Skid and Block off plate, HMT Brake light, BajaRon's sway bar, Heim Links, Diamond R's passenger armrest, Utopia driver backrest

Spyder Garage

No longer have one on the new Spyder but had on on previous Spyders, one is as good as the other in my opinion

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ornerydog7 View Post

Have one on my 2014 RT. Search on here for debates about it vs. the BRP one & decide for yourself. Search for my posts re. Wiring. I'll do link when I get home in a bit.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Looks good..!!

looks like a well build hitch. Should work just as well...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ornerydog7 View Post

Here's my thread about wiring for the trailer hitch. The non-OEM hitch does not come with a wiring harness. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-lights-Part-1 Big Bike Parts has a harness for 4 wire trailer connection.

Some other comments re: non-OEM hitch. Contrary to some opinions it will not affect your warranty. But, if you have a failure on your bike and BRP can show that the after market hitch caused it, then they can deny coverage for that failure.

From what I have seen of the ads for the non-OEM hitch I think they are all the same, regardless of the seller and the brand name attached to them.

Apparently, the BRP hitch has some sort of rubber cushions in the mounting system which supposedly reduces the stress on the swing arm caused by jolting of the hitch. I think the jury is still out on the benefit of that feature.

The non-OEM hitch does not need to be removed to adjust the belt tension. The BRP hitch does. How much that realistically impacts the time to do an adjustment I don't know.

Spyder Garage

One downfall and yes I have the aftermarket hitch but have not installed it.

The BRP hitch uses a long bolt through the axel to hold it on. You do not have to remove the big 36MM nuts that hold your axel on (and adjusted) to install or remove the hitch. With this aftermarket you do! And in the process of removing those nuts to put it on, you can affect your belt tracking and adjustment (and you will trust me).

So that's the big downfall with the aftermarket hitch. If you don't want to do your own belt adjustment and tracking I suggest having a dealer put on this aftermarket hitch (if they will). Or if you put it on get your belt checked afterwards.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

A friend of mine Marty Farmer got a hitch on Ebay aution and had problems mounting it. He ended up buying a different hitch on Ebay. He got this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyde...6de40e&vxp=mtr

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by danlnc View Post
    A friend of mine Marty Farmer got a hitch on Ebay aution and had problems mounting it. He ended up buying a different hitch on Ebay. He got this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyde...6de40e&vxp=mtr
    Same thing though. To put the side plates on you must remove the 36MM axel nuts thus causing you to do belt tracking adjustment. Douing the adjustment is not hard but not suited for most people IMHO.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for everyone's commits. I am aware of the different installation process between the BRP's and the non oem hitch.

Ralph
    2011 RT LTD /MODS: Seal Floorboards, Elkas, SpyderPops Bump Skid and Block off plate, HMT Brake light, BajaRon's sway bar, Heim Links, Diamond R's passenger armrest, Utopia driver backrest

Spyder Garage

I had no problem installing the hitch that Dan posted the link to. I haven't had any problem out of my belt either.

Spyder Garage

Have you looked at the Show Chrome Hitch? The installation instructions make it look like the one from BRP with the long bolt through the axle. It is available from one of the SL sponsors, Value Accessories, at a discount. http://store.valueaccessories.net/Tr...-AMSpyder.aspx

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    Have you looked at the Show Chrome Hitch? The installation instructions make it look like the one from BRP with the long bolt through the axle.
    It does. I just looked at the installation instructions on the Big Bike Parts website. They make the Show Chrome stuff.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TRAILER HITCH

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    It does. I just looked at the installation instructions on the Big Bike Parts website. They make the Show Chrome stuff.
    ...I just looked also but they show the HITCH as an offering ????????.....Mike

Spyder Garage

In hind sight, if I had KNOWN that the BRP hitch came with the harness, I would have bought the BRP unit. Thought I was saving some money. There was only about $25-50 difference?