Thread: SENA SM10

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default SENA SM10

I had SENA SM10 installed at the dealer on a 2014 RT. When I went to pair the helmets the pairing lights would not come on but the red charging light was on. I thought that since it was connected to the power source of the machine that it would always have power.

My question is do I have to shut this off when the RT is not in use?

With the Gold Wing I had J&M and this was not an issue and it was also hooked to the power source.

Thanks All

Spyder Garage

The simple answer is yes. If it is dead, you can remove it from the clip and charge it with the headset charger for about 15 to 20 minutes and then while you ride it will complete the charge. I do not know where yours is located, but I moved mine to the glove box for easier access.

Spyder Garage

It does not charge when bike is turned off. I learned that the hard way
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by paulbrinker View Post
    The simple answer is yes. If it is dead, you can remove it from the clip and charge it with the headset charger for about 15 to 20 minutes and then while you ride it will complete the charge. I do not know where yours is located, but I moved mine to the glove box for easier access.
    I was afraid of that
    It was installed in the front trunk under the liner cover and they must have it glued down because it sure is down tight and could be a real pain to remove

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It sure is a pain to get to where they normally put it. If I had it to do over again, I'd have had them install it in the rear trunk. Probably very expensive to have it relocated now, but I will say it's not a problem if I'm on a trip. Turn it on when I take out the backrest and put in the front bag, turn it off when I take the bag out and put the backrest in. It's just in a bad location when I'm just running around with nothing in the front compartment.

It would just be a lot better if it turned off and on with the key.

Spyder Garage

I installed mine in the rear trunk. Yes you need to shut it off after a ride. It does not charge while bike is off. However, as stated a few minutes on charge and it will work and continue to charge as you ride.
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

Spyder Garage

Another pain you will find when it's in the frunk is sometimes it will not automatically bind to the headsets.
    To help, turn on your headsets first then turn on the SM10. If you do it the other way the SM10 will time out and you have to push the button on the SM10 to rebind.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I relocated mine to the trunk and powered it off the accessory outlet. It now stays charged all the time and pairs as soon as I turn on my headset. The module works well, its the custom BRP harness and suggested mounting location that suggests the person designing the kit did not use it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Locate in rear trunk - much easier access

I did the self install on both my Spyders in terms on the SM10 transmitter. I don't know why BRP wants you to install in the front "frunk", but the install is much easier to just have it in the rear trunk due to the radio location.

I mounted the SM10 in the trunk lid with the plastic mount bracket (held in with double stick and 1 small screw). That bracket allows for easy removal of the transmitter in case you left it on and want to take in into the house for charging.....and YES, I did that a few times when I first got this unit as you need to shut it off each time you park the bike or it will go dead over time. I am in the routine to shut it off now and don't need to take it out anymore. Bike will keep it charged when riding (if you remember to shut it off each time you park it for a long time).

I have enjoyed this system greatly and would recommend the SENA SM10 and SMH10's....

Here's a few pics on my location of the SM10...fyi....works well for us and we get into the rear trunk more easily (and more often) than the front "frunk"!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 06-09-2014 at 10:17 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac