Thread: Belt

Spyder Garage

Default Belt

So a few weeks ago our great city decided to repave a neighborhood street only they didn't ask me! Loose peat gravel almost a week before they sealed it. Looks like even with belt guard I caught one right in middle of belt now I see a little indentation on every cog. Bought a replacement belt but noticing how hard it actually is I wonder how long I can wait to replace it? Don't notice any more or less vibration and it doesn't appear to be coming apart. 28600 miles on original anyone else share their experience?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

make sure the culprit is not wedged in the sproket. If the belt is not punctured or fraying and just has dents you should be fine. Check wheel alignment and belt tension...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

How long are most folks belts lasting?

2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Red face Info from posts on stone damage -

Over the last couple of years there have been several posts about stone damage. One, was bad enough it required replacement of both sprockets and the belt. Per the poster, his bike insurer coverd the fix under his comprehensive coverage.

A couple others reported little damage to the sprockets(mostly cosmetic) and their belt damage to be somewhat in the center of the belt. They, after clearing the rock, continued to run their damaged belts but, kept a close eye on them.

Things to consider.

If in doubt. Have your dealer take a look at it.....providing you trust their judgement.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

The talk is that the belts should last beyond 50,000 miles. Rocks have been the biggest problem causing belts to be replaced. I replaced two belts so far because of rocks.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Belt

I Changed my wifes belt at 50000mi. and it NEEDED it cracking broken teeth etc.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post
    So a few weeks ago our great city decided to repave a neighborhood street only they didn't ask me! Loose peat gravel almost a week before they sealed it. Looks like even with belt guard I caught one right in middle of belt now I see a little indentation on every cog. Bought a replacement belt but noticing how hard it actually is I wonder how long I can wait to replace it? Don't notice any more or less vibration and it doesn't appear to be coming apart. 28600 miles on original anyone else share their experience?

I have the 2010 RTSE5 PE801 with 15K miles, I caught a rock in the belt the first week, it put a dent in the belt but no damage to the sprockets.

Belt still looks great at the 15K mark & no further signs of any increased damage.

Spyder Garage

Thanks looks ok other wise I'll keep an eye on it!

2014 RT SE6 LTD , White