Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Controlling volume of rear speakers while listening to the radio

I thought my passenger audio controls were broken as when listening to the radio, the left and right buttons allow you to go to the next radio station but up and down have no effect on volume from the rear speakers. In fact, the sound output from them is significantly lower than the front ones with the handlebar control setting fade front back to center.

During the build my dealer had managed to get two slight rips in the passenger hand grip material and they ordered replacements for me which they installed today. I asked about passenger handgrip ability to control volume of the rear speakers while listening to the radio and the service manager said those controls only work when listening to an iPod.

That's a stupid way to implement a control!

I pulled up the owners manual and went through the audio section but it wasn't clear about how the passenger control is supposed to effect the volume of the rear speakers.

Has anyone else run into this and how did you solve it? Did you have to set the fade front to back towards the back? I'm beginning to think the rear speakers are worthless.

Thanks, Tony

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Bottom Line BRP's audio system sucks. And their manual is worthless as far as the audio system goes. And most dealers are clueless about it also. On the settings screen there is a setting for volume between front and back. This is not the fader control, it is some thing else.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by edmarino View Post
    Bottom Line BRP's audio system sucks. And their manual is worthless as far as the audio system goes. And most dealers are clueless about it also. On the settings screen there is a setting for volume between front and back. This is not the fader control, it is some thing else.
    Agree. I've run into endless problems with integrating my iPhone 5S with this thing and had to dig an old iPhone 3 for mobile music but around town I listen to the radio mostly and have found the rear speakers to be way too low in volume.

I'm heading over to the dealer now to pick up the Spyder now and will try to force the rear speaker volume up on the radio to a better level. At the center location the volume out of the rears is just too low.

Spyder Garage

The rear volume control does not work. At all. I have the Ipod connected, it still does nothing. I have been told it may work if you have the entertainment harness and the old BRP wired intercom installed in the helmets. As most folks use bluetooth for intercom these days, the passenger volume controls are just an appendix. Useless leftover from an old design never updated.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The rear volume control ONLY works when BRP's intercom system is in place. It allows the passenger to control the volume output of the earbuds...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The rear volume control ONLY works when BRP's intercom system is in place. It allows the passenger to control the volume output of the earbuds...
    Correct Bob!

Also you can adjust the front and rear fader to make the volume match. This is in the audio settings.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You guys were all right. I wound up using the fade control on the handlebars to shift sound two notches to the rear and it sounded like there was an equal amount of sound coming out of both sets of speakers while listening to the radio. It sounded as good as it could going home knowing that the stock speakers are a crummy way of listening to music over 45 MPH. I use my RT-S as my daily commuter so the speakers and radio are good enough for me although I would gladly upgrade the speakers and amp if I could get an easy identical fit into the stock grills and not take up any more room in the frunk or rear storage.

I understand with the existing audio system the best sound would likely be bluetooth to the helmet but I have a Scala Q2 and it is only good for helmet to helmet voice and bluetooth to make phone calls. Sucker doesn't stream music from my iPhone but it will let me make phone calls which I love to do at 70 MPH . If you want music to your Scala you have to put the iPhone in your pocket and run a cable to the radio on your helmet. Since it sucks for music, I don't permanently attach my Scala to my full face Arai helmet because the helmet barely fits in the frunk as it is (jammed in at a slight angle) and the additional bit for the radio would make it an even tighter fit. It is great for talking with the wife when we make trips but is useless for around town. Looks like the better solution is to get the Sena and either bluetooth directly to the iPhone but that only lets you shuffle and even with the best playlist you sometimes want to skip a song. And with the Sena you still have the extra bump on the helmet which makes a large full face not fit in the frunk.

In a perfect Spyder, you would have better speakers and a better amp. The controls (driver and passenger) would work for the speakers and the bluetooth to the helmet. You could control volume from those controls and change stations, playlists, skip songs, pause music, etc. BRP would make a number of iPhone cables (including the new 5S) that both charge and play music and allow control from the driver and passenger. I agree with the folks in this thread that BRP did not do a good job on the audio system. Even if they're trying to maximize after market sales of bluetooth dongles or cables, they could at least offer ones that solve problems I'm having. Heck I might even buy them (if they existed) to solve my problems but after spending $30K, I would think it would be a bit closer to the state of the art you get with BMW or Goldwings.

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
    You guys were all right. I wound up using the fade control on the handlebars to shift sound two notches to the rear and it sounded like there was an equal amount of sound coming out of both sets of speakers while listening to the radio. It sounded as good as it could going home knowing that the stock speakers are a crummy way of listening to music over 45 MPH. I use my RT-S as my daily commuter so the speakers and radio are good enough for me although I would gladly upgrade the speakers and amp if I could get an easy identical fit into the stock grills and not take up any more room in the frunk or rear storage.

I understand with the existing audio system the best sound would likely be bluetooth to the helmet but I have a Scala Q2 and it is only good for helmet to helmet voice and bluetooth to make phone calls. Sucker doesn't stream music from my iPhone but it will let me make phone calls which I love to do at 70 MPH . If you want music to your Scala you have to put the iPhone in your pocket and run a cable to the radio on your helmet. Since it sucks for music, I don't permanently attach my Scala to my full face Arai helmet because the helmet barely fits in the frunk as it is (jammed in at a slight angle) and the additional bit for the radio would make it an even tighter fit. It is great for talking with the wife when we make trips but is useless for around town. Looks like the better solution is to get the Sena and either bluetooth directly to the iPhone but that only lets you shuffle and even with the best playlist you sometimes want to skip a song. And with the Sena you still have the extra bump on the helmet which makes a large full face not fit in the frunk.

In a perfect Spyder, you would have better speakers and a better amp. The controls (driver and passenger) would work for the speakers and the bluetooth to the helmet. You could control volume from those controls and change stations, playlists, skip songs, pause music, etc. BRP would make a number of iPhone cables (including the new 5S) that both charge and play music and allow control from the driver and passenger. I agree with the folks in this thread that BRP did not do a good job on the audio system. Even if they're trying to maximize after market sales of bluetooth dongles or cables, they could at least offer ones that solve problems I'm having. Heck I might even buy them (if they existed) to solve my problems but after spending $30K, I would think it would be a bit closer to the state of the art you get with BMW or Goldwings.
    I totally agree!! The interface w current phone /music tech as well as hardware should be top notch on anything costing as much... BRP,,, are you listening ??? I love my Spyder but the radio isn't worth using compared to my iPhone 5 LG bluetooth setup / Not even close...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't think you can expect BRP to support everything Bluetooth that is out there.
    They support Sena and that is it.

If Scale made a Audio streamer box like Sena does (the SM10), them I bet my cable would work on that too.

BRP just cannot put something Bluetooth on the bike that can support every darn BT device out there! Hell the best guys in the industry like Sena, Scala, you name it cant get it all to work!

You expect BRP to solve that technology?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I don't think you can expect BRP to support everything Bluetooth that is out there.
    They support Sena and that is it.

If Scale made a Audio streamer box like Sena does (the SM10), them I bet my cable would work on that too.

BRP just cannot put something Bluetooth on the bike that can support every darn BT device out there! Hell the best guys in the industry like Sena, Scala, you name it cant get it all to work!

You expect BRP to solve that technology?

Bob
    Really ??? Current automotive tech either let's you plug in or connect by bluetooth or both so the short answer is yes,,, for $30 large I expect premium audio either from their hardware or at the very least be able to connect by bluetooth to mine... We ain't goin to the moon here.. BRP has 7 automotive technologies,,,, I cast my vote they make it an even eight

Spyder Garage

Default Poor sound through Sena Bluetooth

In order for me to get voice directions from my Zumo, I had to first connect my Sena SMH10 Universal to the Zumo, then connect to my iPhone5. In doing so I can get directions & music that I loaded on the Zumo. I hear many talk about better sound through the Sena helmet speakers, but mine sounds terrible. Very tinny. I'm disappointed because that was the primary reason I bought the Sena. What do you guys think of the quality of the sound on your Sena's??
    2016 F3 Limited , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought that we were talking about the volume coming out of the rear speakers...
    If you really need to have the bathroom tissue dispenser in your water-closet hooked up via Bluetooth to the GPS and cellphone on your Bike ... maybe you should just drive a car...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-08-2014 at 07:29 AM.

Spyder Garage

I thought that we were talking about the volume coming out of the rear speakers...
    If you really need to have the bathroom tissue dispenser in your water-closet hooked up via Bluetooth to the GPS and cellphone on your Bike ... maybe you should just drive a car...
    Are you always so cynical? Thanks for your help.
    2016 F3 Limited , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Usually I'm not...
    But it's easy to grow tired, when folks can't seem to find enough new things to worry about...
    For $30,000; you can actually get a Mercedes with more connectivity than even the NSA needs...
    Maybe some folks just shopped a the wrong dealerships.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-08-2014 at 11:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderjim View Post
    In order for me to get voice directions from my Zumo, I had to first connect my Sena SMH10 Universal to the Zumo, then connect to my iPhone5. In doing so I can get directions & music that I loaded on the Zumo. I hear many talk about better sound through the Sena helmet speakers, but mine sounds terrible. Very tinny. I'm disappointed because that was the primary reason I bought the Sena. What do you guys think of the quality of the sound on your Sena's??
    Mine is excellent. I use foam ear plugs to block out road noise and turn up volume on both the 665 and senna. Make sure your helmet speakers are not to far away from your ears. You may have to put another velcro pad under the speakers.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This is interesting

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought my passenger audio controls were broken as when listening to the radio, the left and right buttons allow you to go to the next radio station but up and down have no effect on volume from the rear speakers. In fact, the sound output from them is significantly lower than the front ones with the handlebar control setting fade front back to center.

During the build my dealer had managed to get two slight rips in the passenger hand grip material and they ordered replacements for me which they installed today. I asked about passenger handgrip ability to control volume of the rear speakers while listening to the radio and the service manager said those controls only work when listening to an iPod.

That's a stupid way to implement a control!

I pulled up the owners manual and went through the audio section but it wasn't clear about how the passenger control is supposed to effect the volume of the rear speakers.

Has anyone else run into this and how did you solve it? Did you have to set the fade front to back towards the back? I'm beginning to think the rear speakers are worthless.

Thanks, Tony
    I had the same problem... I'm guessing that as was the case on my older rt,,, the fade control does NOT exist.... major bummer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Agree. I've run into endless problems with integrating my iPhone 5S with this thing and had to dig an old iPhone 3 for mobile music but around town I listen to the radio mostly and have found the rear speakers to be way too low in volume.

I'm heading over to the dealer now to pick up the Spyder now and will try to force the rear speaker volume up on the radio to a better level. At the center location the volume out of the rears is just too low.

my 2011rt had fader control. the new 2014 has no such option .... major bummer ... bad can-am engineers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's got a fader... I was just playing with it's effects on my system this past week... The Missus wanted a bit less output at her end of the bike, so I kicked it back to only a +1 to the rear.

Spyder Garage

Cool

Bob,, your comments are offensive!!! This thread has talked about rear speaker volume as well as user friendly audio hardware and connectivity to other media sources... Seriously read all the posts and then you can apologize like you should.. Your historical urge to comment on almost every thread must leave you little time to actually read all the comments before taking the time to tell people what they should be driving!! The audio controls and subsequent interface / or not,,, mostly not ,,,have been the topic of many threads and getting some attention from BRP wouldn't hurt... If you are happy with the way your audio works / Great!!! Many of us are not and if this is an open forum,,,, It is right??? Then it's fair game to discuss what we feel can be improved without getting chastised for it....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry Mike...
    Go back, and re-read post #1...
    The Original Poster never mentioned Bluetooth connectivity at all...

Spyder Garage

Sorry Mike...
    Go back, and re-read post #1...
    The Original Poster never mentioned Bluetooth connectivity at all...

He brought up Bluetooth in post #11......you should read all before inserting your foot.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My responses were directed to the initial inquiries and statements that he made...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike,P View Post
    Bob,, your comments are offensive!!! This thread has talked about rear speaker volume as well as user friendly audio hardware and connectivity to other media sources... Seriously read all the posts and then you can apologize like you should.. Your historical urge to comment on almost every thread must leave you little time to actually read all the comments before taking the time to tell people what they should be driving!! The audio controls and subsequent interface / or not,,, mostly not ,,,have been the topic of many threads and getting some attention from BRP wouldn't hurt... If you are happy with the way your audio works / Great!!! Many of us are not and if this is an open forum,,,, It is right??? Then it's fair game to discuss what we feel can be improved without getting chastised for it....

I fully agree and while I may be a newbie here I can recognize a forum know it all bully when I read one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have a great day riding!
    No bullying of ANY form was intended; it's simply a case of ignorance on my part...
    Why is there so much importance afforded to connectivity?
    Am I the only rider who gets on a bike to be dis-connected from everything but the road and the ride?

I can hear the Zumo when it wants me to turn; although my radio is normally set about as high as I can crank it...
    We argue about her choice of routes all of the time, and that's about as much connectivity as I can take.
    Although the Missus and I do have a Scalarider setup so that she doesn't have to slap the back of my head quite so much anymore!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-09-2014 at 07:39 AM.