Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas Tank - I'm Confused

I let the gas tank go as empty as possible on my 2010 RTS SE (gas light was on for several minutes before I filled up). When I filled the tank to the point that gas was backing up out of the fill hole (I could see that the gas was all the way to the top), I had put less than 5 gallons in a tank that is supposed to be 6.6 gallons.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any input? I can't believe that I still had 1.6+ gallons in the tank before I filled up. Thanks in advance.
    Michael
    You call it a midlife crisis. I call it all the things I wanted to do!

2010 RT-S SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The older bikes actually had a useable tank size of about 6 gallons...
    That; plus the inaccuracy of the fuel gauges is what accounts for the discrepency in what you saw, and what the bike took for fuel.
    The 2014 gauges appear to be MUCH more accurate!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default need more info

Quote Originally Posted by mpapatonis View Post
    I let the gas tank go as empty as possible on my 2010 RTS SE (gas light was on for several minutes before I filled up). When I filled the tank to the point that gas was backing up out of the fill hole (I could see that the gas was all the way to the top), I had put less than 5 gallons in a tank that is supposed to be 6.6 gallons.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any input? I can't believe that I still had 1.6+ gallons in the tank before I filled up. Thanks in advance.
    "Several minutes" tells us nothing really. if you were going 30, that speed and distance would not eat up much gas at all. How fast were you going, and how far did you travel?

Spyder Garage

The last .6 gal is perty much useless space in the tank. You can run at least 150 miles or so before filling up. Always just reset the Odometer and don't rely on the gas gage. I've gone at least 160 and 170 miles before filling up and usually 5 or a little over is all it will hold. You can trickle it is if the pump will do that and get maybe a half gallon of so more in. It is just a trait of the Spyder tank design.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks, Bob. So you're saying that you think I still had a gallon left? I guess the only way to really check this is to let it completely run out.

Erik, I was going 70 mph oh the highway for 5 or 10 minutes, so about 5 to 10 miles. Can't remember exactly.
    Michael

2010 RT-S SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Once the light comes on; you've probably got just over a gallon of fuel left in the tank...

Spyder Garage

I have also repeated this about my 2010. The most gas I ever put in it was 5.8 gallons @ 184 miles. I always fill it to the same level, and always set a trip meter so I know how many miles on the current tank.

I was using the analog gauge and it was actually showing below empty. The low gas light had been on for a little over 30 miles.

The mileage calculation came out to 31.7--which is around the 31 that I received on most tanks of gas.

The 2014 is different. I have driven 218 miles and put in just under 6 gallons to fill it. The analog gauge was near the bottom and the fuel light had just come on.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

the light is suggesting you get gas soon. You should have at least a gallon if not more and can estimate what you get per mile as to how much further you can go. I use the digital guage and know I can go 33+ miles once the light comes on....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    the light is suggesting you get gas soon. You should have at least a gallon if not more and can estimate what you get per mile as to how much further you can go. I use the digital guage and know I can go 33+ miles once the light comes on....
    x 2. I was playing around with mine and not far from the service station--just to see how far I dare go.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Got Ya

Thanks for the feedback. It just concerned me that the analog gauge was buried on E when the light came on. Guess that goes back to it being inaccurate as was mentioned earlier.

Where is the digital readout? Do I have that on the 2010?
    Michael

2010 RT-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Default NEW MEXICO

riding across New Mexico Rt. 60 last year (where gas stations can be a hundred miles apart), my 'yellow' fuel light came on... well, after about 20 miles, my heart started to race, and i had all kinds of thoughts of spending the night sleeping in the weeds alongside the road... i rode to 30 miles, NO GAS STATION, i rode to 40 miles, NO GAS STATION... at 44 miles, a gas station appeared in the distance... Vaungh, NM never looked so good... when i filled up, i took 6.3 gallons of fuel... so i still had a few miles to go b4 i drained the tank... fret not brothers (and sisters) SPYD3R RIDERS, you will be find if you ride with caution, and fill up when necessary......
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 06-06-2014 at 07:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the feedback. It just concerned me that the analog gauge was buried on E when the light came on. Guess that goes back to it being inaccurate as was mentioned earlier.

Where is the digital readout? Do I have that on the 2010?
    If you disconnect both analog gauges, fuel and temp, the center display will show both. One bar is on the left and one on the right.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Digital Gauges

And the digital are more accurate?
    Michael

2010 RT-S SE5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTVIPER View Post
    If you disconnect both analog gauges, fuel and temp, the center display will show both. One bar is on the left and one on the right.
    This is just begging for a custom mod. I'd kind of like to have both, wonder what it would take to convince the lil computer to give it to us.
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rattigan_Roger has been playing with his, ans has come up with a much more accurate gauge...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

A more accurate analog gauge? What's involved in disconnecting the analog gauges?
    Michael

2010 RT-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Rattigan_Roger has been playing with his, ans has come up with a much more accurate gauge...
    Where can I get one?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A more accurate analog gauge? What's involved in disconnecting the analog gauges?
    Just pull them out of the dash*** and unplug them; the digital readings will automatically show up for the party!

*** Unbolt the housing that contains them, jig the handlebars a couple of different ways at once , and then you can get to the wiring...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Just pull them out of the dash*** and unplug them; the digital readings will automatically show up for the party!

*** Unbolt the housing that contains them, jig the handlebars a couple of different ways at once , and then you can get to the wiring...
    Mmm..I want both. I'll have to pull it and see, there is either an extra wire to signal computer that the gauge is connected, or it's going on resistance difference once it's connected. I'm betting on extra wire so it should be a case of identification and a bit of a snip (no don't call the Mohel, I can handle it!).
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Can't have both... it's one or the other!

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Bob. So you're saying that you think I still had a gallon left? I guess the only way to really check this is to let it completely run out.

Erik, I was going 70 mph oh the highway for 5 or 10 minutes, so about 5 to 10 miles. Can't remember exactly.
    I carry a one gallon spare tank in my frunk - always! One way to determine "approximately" how far you can ride after the light comes on is to carry a can (full) and check how many miles you can go after the light comes on, before the engine just stops. Did I tell you that the Spyder doesn't sputter, run, sputter, die? It just stops when out of gas. I know and that's why I carry the spare can. ...Don

P.S. The carry can is a Roto-Pax one gallon and fits nicely in the bottom, back of the frunk. Lots of peace of mind and you can sell the gallon for $25 if one of your friends runs out while on the Blue Ridge Parkway. ;-)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Funny

Funny, because the Blue Ridge is exactly what I'm prepping for.
    Michael

2010 RT-S SE5

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsrider View Post
    Mmm..I want both. I'll have to pull it and see, there is either an extra wire to signal computer that the gauge is connected, or it's going on resistance difference once it's connected. I'm betting on extra wire so it should be a case of identification and a bit of a snip (no don't call the Mohel, I can handle it!).
    Like Bob says, can't have both. All the wires go into the cluster, and several are connected together. The cluster processor does all the sorting out of the signals. To paraphrase an old line, "You can't fool Nanny!"
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Accurate

Are the digital meters accurate enough that it's worth using them instead?
    Michael

2010 RT-S SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some folks seem to think so...
    But from what I've seen; the 2014 analogs, are a WHOLE lot more accurate than the previous versions...