Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default LED cost Dont get riped!

Hello all. This is just my 2cents worth here. The cost of some of the LED lights that I have seen on a few sites is well in my opinion @#!^! outrageous!! I have used some from Hong Kong ( where most come from) that are the same an only cost $10 that some are selling for $120!!! look on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/151204473534...84.m1423.l2649 And the 6 LED drive lights that some sell for $299.00 Ya Ebay again $52.99 -$89 they are the same I have them an work great http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Light-Bar...1dcaf7&vxp=mtr I have had the lights on my Spyder for some time now an no problems at all hey even if 1 did go out $10 bucks for a new set or $50+ instead of $120 or $299 really. Just had to get this off my chest. just because we own a spyder doesn't mean we are made of money!!
    2012 RT Limited. Flag graphics, Lower vader wings LEDs, Lower day runner LEDs, Uper turn signal LEDs, Tip LEDs, Finder strip LEDs, Mud flap running an turn LEDs, Inside morrirs turn LEDs, 3-4 brake LEDs, Blue LEDs top under dash, Cup hollders, Large foot rest, HWY foot rest, K&N air flter, GloRyders with remote, Elka shocks 1+R, Soomthspyder, GoPro Hero3, BRP hitch, Diamond shadow trailer.

Spyder Garage

Yes, agree , need to shop around !

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cost is the reason my high mount brake light is a TruFlex strip light from Custom Dynamics. Sure, it doesn't fit and look as nicely as the chrome specially designed for Spyder one they make, but it cost less than $50 compared to $239. Does the job just as well, which is what I'm concerned about.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Tennis shoes..!!

They are all made in china but put nike..puma...etc on them and they are $200.00 for some $29.99 sneakers. Your right led's are no different and this is not the food industry but getting there. I look long and hard....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I would like to see how and where you mounted the lights, and what the projection is like.

I've been using LED driving/fog lights for the past few years on my bikes (both previous bikes). They use a fraction of the energy the traditional bulbs use. Basically energy creates heat, light or sound (these are all just frequencies). The more heat a light produces, the less efficient in producing light it actually is. To date, LEDs (but there are even different technologies of LEDs) utilize energy in the most efficient way to produce light, with very little heat.

I too agree about buying some of these from China. Yes, I have been burned a few times. But I have made well over a hundred purchases of LEDs from China in the past 6 years, and only been burned a few times. Just do good research and read the reviews before making your purchase. Sometimes delivery is slow, but not being an impulse shopper has it's advantages. The overall savings has been huge.

My entire house is powered by LEDs. My electric bill has never been higher than $120 in the summer, yet the entire perimeter of the outside of my home stays lit up from dusk to dawn. Also, many people have commented on the pictures they see of my garage on this site. That garage is lit up with 28 recessed GU10 LEDs for a total of just 84 watts.
    -Texas

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

cost me $27 bucks to do my mirrors
    just make sure you use 12volt led or you will need a load resistor

Last edited by mastertek2000; 06-05-2014 at 05:49 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm more than happy to scrimp elsewhere; shop at a trusted source, and pay for that trust!

But you are right; money can become an issue, at the most inopportune times!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thats why I custom did all of my lights. There are always new things coming out with these lights too. The first video shows what I did a few years ago. This year I changed the controller to the wifi version and now I use my phone. Then if you know what your doing you can make your spyder/ your own unique even.

Spyder Garage

Where do you find the knight rider ones in the front

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mastertek2000 View Post
    Where do you find the knight rider ones in the front
    I found a rigid strip that had the setup I wanted but would'nt fit the spot where I wanted it. So I modified it. I broke of all the leds off the circuit board. Then I drilled holes in the plastic piece in front of the frunk and wired in new leds to the circuit board. I cant remember where I found that exact one. There are lots of places that have the knight rider lights but I wanted something as close to the original as I could get. Most of them had the lights doing some extra funky stuff.

Spyder Garage

Same here! I am with you. Cost me all of $25 for my trunk break light. And I even show you how to do it!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l-video-how-to

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

How about LED ground effects kits...anywhere to get them cheap? All the kits I've seen are $200+. I don't care for the remotes or ability to control them via cellphone app! That's crazy. All I want is a green glow under the spyder that I turn on and off via a switch on the spyder.

Any ideas?

Spyder Garage

Also...I was on Reggie's site looking at his kits...are there any discount codes or anything for spyderlovers forum members?

Spyder Garage

Default Where did you get those?

Hi can I ask where you got those and how you installed them? I am interested at that cost LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by mastertek2000 View Post
    cost me $27 bucks to do my mirrors
    just make sure you use 12volt led or you will need a load resistor

14 RT-S , Stock Large brake pedal White Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure that he got them from here...
    http://shop.muthco.com/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NM Wrench View Post
    Hi can I ask where you got those and how you installed them? I am interested at that cost LOL
    i installed them i got them here bob i could not see paying that for them sorry $27 was what it cost me and my time and they look better then the $200 dollar ones LOL

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Sequential-...s-p/35-332.htm

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...rrios-all-done
    Last edited by mastertek2000; 06-05-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I stand happily corrected...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StealthSpyder View Post
    How about LED ground effects kits...anywhere to get them cheap? All the kits I've seen are $200+. I don't care for the remotes or ability to control them via cellphone app! That's crazy. All I want is a green glow under the spyder that I turn on and off via a switch on the spyder.

Any ideas?
    I will have green LED lights on my site soon. Plus a few other colors.

Spyder Garage

I would like to add one more thing. I have been doing a lot of research on LEDs as I am coming up with some kits. The types of LEDs make a difference. I have spent the last couple of months getting samples from companies to find the right one for what I want to do. When you go quality there is cost associated. When you go custom there is even more cost.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wiredux View Post
    I will have green LED lights on my site soon. Plus a few other colors.
    Awesome. ETA? Approx price? Would it be a simple kit that I turn on and off with a switch wired into the bike somewhere/somehow? Or how will they work?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I buy all my lights from TricLED and Custom Dynamics. Reggy at TricLed.com stands by his product. He has created "kits" with quick disconnects to allow for easy access when work needs to be done. Top notch guy with top notch product. Just remember you get what you pay for.

--Chuck

Spyder Garage

You do get what you pay for I have had the LEDs on my spyder for over a year (rain snow sleet) NOT 1 has gone out yet. I will be nice an say the LEDs that I got on Ebay are the same as others sale but a LOT cheaper in cost. And you can get the quick disconnect ends for a LOT cheaper on Ebay an other sites. An they are the same as others have for sale. I do have LEDs from TricLeds an yes Reggy is A1 in my book also he has replaced LEDs that have gone out for free. Just my thoughts an I like to save money when its the same products.
    2012 RT Limited. Flag graphics, Lower vader wings LEDs, Lower day runner LEDs, Uper turn signal LEDs, Tip LEDs, Finder strip LEDs, Mud flap running an turn LEDs, Inside morrirs turn LEDs, 3-4 brake LEDs, Blue LEDs top under dash, Cup hollders, Large foot rest, HWY foot rest, K&N air flter, GloRyders with remote, Elka shocks 1+R, Soomthspyder, GoPro Hero3, BRP hitch, Diamond shadow trailer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSFC View Post
    I buy all my lights from TricLED and Custom Dynamics. Reggy at TricLed.com stands by his product. He has created "kits" with quick disconnects to allow for easy access when work needs to be done. Top notch guy with top notch product. Just remember you get what you pay for.

--Chuck

If I need to save money; my water closet will get stocked with cheaper toilet paper!
    The Bike gets "Top Shelf" stuff; nothing less!

Spyder Garage

Not always "cheaper" but always "less expensive"
    PS... Ive had my ebay special lights on my spyder for 3 years on nooooo problems either.

I also have these same kind of lights all over my house. With either motion sensors or timers to turn them all on and off. Lots of fun finding new places to add lights. So glad I have a wife that lets me "tech up" the house.

timslightinggallery.shutterfly.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tim,
    I know that there's lots of good lights out there...
    But those of us with no skills, and no idea of what to look for; need to have vendors that we can trust for THEIR info and skills too!