Thread: oil

Spyder Garage

Default oil

Has anyone used non synthetic,conventional,dyno oil 10-40 in their spyder with auto trans.??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluep View Post
    Has anyone used non synthetic,conventional,dyno oil 10-40 in their spyder with auto trans.??

Personally I wouldn't bother, why would you want to? A big modern V-twin is designed around semi-synthetic oil.
    If you use dino you'll have to change the oil and filter more frequently as it deteriorates more readily.
    Just use an oil which meets or exceeds Can-Am's specification.

Spyder Garage

Not me. I have used synthetic oil for many years in my motorcycles and cars. Proven better oil. I once dismantled a Harley twin cam motor at 100,000 miles. I had used Mobil 1 in it since 1000 miles. I found no issues and believe it would have gone 100,000 more.
    Oil is cheep insurance so I use the best.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Not me. I have used synthetic oil for many years in my motorcycles and cars. Proven better oil. I once dismantled a Harley twin cam motor at 100,000 miles. I had used Mobil 1 in it since 1000 miles. I found no issues and believe it would have gone 100,000 more.
    Yep!! I agree with that with just one reservation. If the bike has a 'wet' clutch you have to be very careful which full synthetic that you use.
    Most of the blends specifically for motor cycles are fine but synthetic oils for cars can screw up the clutch plates.

Spyder Garage

Valvoline makes a dino oil that is Jaso MA2 rated and readily avail at Walmart for about $5. If you want to try it, have a lab test done at 2000 miles to see how the viscosity holds up.
    Blackstone will send you a free sample bottle and its about $25 when you return it with the used oil. If you do, let us know how it turns out.

I've used Valvoline synthetic and it lab tested almost, but not quite, as good as Amsoil. I would imagine their dino would hold up fairly well also.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

There is more to the price of oil than the amount of $'s per quart. If you get an oil that you don't have to change as often you're price per quart goes down. Especially when you consider the price of filters and time required for the oil change (whether you do it yourself or have it done).

Also, if you get an oil that will go 5-6K between changes you probably will not have to look for an oil change on a long trip.

Sometimes 'Cheap' actually costs more.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

The SE5 will not shift smooth with non synthetic oil and if is not Jaso MA2 rated it can make your slip and burn it up. It's a free country do as you like. Like the old saying goes pay a little more now or a lot later. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    In the early days of this forum, Mobil 1 (motorcycle specific) was reported to cause clutch slippage by some users.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

why try to save on the recommended essentials of such an expensive recreational vehicle..?? You want to save money cut down on the farkeling and pack a lunch. If they recommend things it's not because they want you to go out and find out if they are right. They give you the min and if you want go better...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    In the early days of this forum, Mobil 1 (motorcycle specific) was reported to cause clutch slippage by some users.
    It may have as it fixed my grabbing clutch I had on my 03 Road King and made it perform like it should. I took it to a master mechanic about how the clutch grabs. He told me to add 2 ozs og Ford limit slip additive and that would fix it. It did and then I just starten using Mobil 1 20w-50w in the chain case and that worked as well. I experienced no unwanted slipage.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Oil is to a motor what blood is to a human. Going cheap on oil on a 25K plus machine is like going to skid row for a transfusion. Just my humble opinion.,