Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default TOOL BAG FOR SPYDER??

What are some tools that we need to carry on our Spyder?

Spyder Garage

In addition to the toy tool kit that comes with the , I carry a set of torx wrenches, some circuit breaker replacements, blue locktite, and a tire gauge.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Geez..!!

The only things added is a plug kit and a pump, zip ties and duct tape...on these machines anything else goes wrong your not fixing it on the road side...I always carry the trusty multi tool...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cellphone... Platinum card... rope...
    Seriously; some of the proper Torx wrenches go a long way... A set of vise Grips, electrical AND Duct tape, some tire plugs and a small air compressor
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I carry a Torx screwdriver with bits stored in the handle, set of metric wrenches, pliers, screwdriver, jumper battery, dual fill, hand pump, plug kit, frog toggs...

JT

Spyder Garage

Although the tool kit includes your necessary, I always carry more torx bits (30 is your most common, but 25 and 20's are used in some parts), nut and allen wrenches ranging the 8 to 16 mm sizes, and plenty of zip ties.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Default Problems

Not to highjack the thread...but like a good boyscout we should always be prepared. It would be nice to understand the uses for some of the items (like zip ties, duct tape, etc.) what is a common problem that spyder owners tend to come across on long trips....I would still assume that anything major is just having a phone to call a tow truck...picking up my Spyder on Saturday...so it would be nice to know these things.

Thanks,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GMAN9 View Post
    ...picking up my Spyder on Saturday...so it would be nice to know these things.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Tool bag

This is what I love about this site , all of the great information and ideas that one can get in a mater of minuets , that could take days to get else ware . I have made a great list of extras, off of just this thread. Thanks guys !
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by White Lightening View Post
    What hand pump do you carry? Do you have a picture?
    I have a Serfas floor pump (fits into the RT622), I'm looking for a more compact Serfas that will fit into the saddle bags. I like the quality of the Serfas pumps.

JT

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We bought our Spyder new in 2012. It did not come with a tool bag. What are the tools in the tool bag?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ccdoyle View Post
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. We bought our Spyder new in 2012. It did not come with a tool bag. What are the tools in the tool bag?
    The tool bag is well hidden in plain sight... lift the seat and look under the seat for it... assuming your on a RT. I've never opened mine to see what was in there... the air gauge was DOA and one of the reasons I developed the Dual Fill after reading the specs in the manual for the front tires.

JT

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My problem was finding a place to plug in my compressor, it draws a lot of power. Is there a way to access the onboard compressor that's used on the RTL to pump up the rear suspension

Spyder Garage

Default slime pump

Bought a slime pump at wally world plugs in a lighter outlet, around $20 packs real small, but reading about the amperage output of the accessory socket in teh trunk i had a trickle charger lead put on my battery terminal under the seat. just thinking about type of plug it is made me think i oughta be packing a lighter outlet adapter for the SAE lead. knock on wood haven't needed it yet...
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post
    My problem was finding a place to plug in my compressor, it draws a lot of power. Is there a way to access the onboard compressor that's used on the RTL to pump up the rear suspension
    You can use my Dash Power with 12v switched or unswitched both fused at 15 amps.

JT

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    You can use my Dash Power with 12v switched or unswitched both fused at 15 amps.

JT

Cool, I'll take a look at it.

Spyder Garage

Useful thread, thanks ya'll. Just a small rearrangement of my existing bike tool kit and I should be good to go.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    The only things added is a plug kit and a pump, zip ties and duct tape...on these machines anything else goes wrong your not fixing it on the road side...I always carry the trusty multi tool...
    I agree....lets face it, there is not much you can fix on a modern computerized machine or car these days.

I carry; stock kit, zip ties, duct tape, tire plugs and inflator, multi tool, small socket set, flashlight, 1 qt oil.

In addition to this; carry things for yourself....extra medications, water, firstaid kit with additional items for major trauma injuries, emergency contact information.
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    I have a Serfas floor pump (fits into the RT622), I'm looking for a more compact Serfas that will fit into the saddle bags. I like the quality of the Serfas pumps.

JT
    So I went to the Serfas web site (thanks for providing the link ). I like the look of the AP-C1 CO2/hand pump. I can see using the hand pump for suspension changes and the CO2 for tire inflation. At $40 its a bargain, it includes a gauge and the size looks right for a saddlebag or the trunk/frunk of an RT.

Again thanks for the information JT.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have plug kit & conti seal kit that has compressor & tire slime. i also keep multi tool, duct tape & a razor knife.

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Don't forget the Clock 9mm

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Silvervette05 View Post
    Don't forget the Clock 9mm
    or a .40!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=sddinnh;825852]My problem was finding a place to plug in my compressor, it draws a lot of power. QUOTE]

Mine came with an adapter so you can go right to the battery.
    Disposable rubber gloves in case of a messy job. They do not take up any space.
    Last edited by Saluda; 12-01-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default factory tool kit ... behind the back side of the frunk liner

Quote Originally Posted by ccdoyle View Post
    My new 2011 RT came with the tool kit tucked behind the rear wall of the fabric frunk liner. Un - zip it, and it's right there.
    Happy hunting.
    CapNCrunch
    :=)

Spyder Garage

JT's idea of carrying a Serfas floor pump in a trailer is good. I use nothing but a Topeak floor bicycle pump for my weekly Spyder tire pressure maintenance. A few strokes with that pump beats pulling out the a compressor. OTOH, with 30+ years of serious long distance bicycling under my belt I've seen no mini mump, Serfas or any other brand, that's worth a hoot for tires as large as those on a Spyder -- that is unless you want to pass up a half day riding to put air in a tire.

The big takeaway from this thread IMO is be certain the circuit you plan to use for your emergency compressor is fused at least equal to that of the compressor's current draw.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S