Spyder Garage

Default 1st = Plunk / Reverse = Kerplunk

Whenever I first put my RT-S (Automatic) into gear (either Reverse or 1st) after startup, I get a hard plunk or kerplunk (depending on which gear). It doesn't matter if I am starting it up for the first time in days, or starting it up after having just making a pitstop at a store, getting gas, etc... It's a pretty hard feeling/sound, which is why I thought I better ask around.

So my question is: Is everyone else experiencing this? I'm used to hearing/feeling plunks going into gear on motorcycles, but I don't know what is normal on the RT (and this is a automatic).
    -Texas

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup!
    That's "Norbal"!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default I think one reason relates to the position

of your Spyder flat, incline etc. The 14' requires you to have your foot on the brake and I think that may be causing the klunk if your not level etc.
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default It's a semi-automatic!!!

Maybe this explanation will help since you sound like you are more tolerant of the clunk in a manual transmission.

The gear box in your Semi-automatic Spyder is identical in in every way to the gearbox in a manual model. So they are both going to clunk. The difference is that the the Semi-automatic has a computer controlled hydraulic box bolted onto the side that shifts the gears and operates the clutch.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

They all klunk.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

The Klunk feels very solid and reassures me my bike is ready to rock
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Red face Kidding around

When it stops klunking......start worrying

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Ours go clunque and sometimes plunque.

kinda what you expect from a Canadian design.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

all of them do...Harleys do...what it is is..your engine starts up and runs at your idle speed. Your transmission is in neutral or not moving at all. Now you can shift into 1st 2nd or reverse and you are pushing the running engine into the idle gears of the transmission (klunk) now all the gears in the transmission are spinning as is the engine. The next time you shift gears they will mesh together because both engine and transmission are running (no klunk). If your old enough to remember the trannys before syncronizers were added this is nothing...you had to be an artist with a magic touch to shift smoothly...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Ours go clunque and sometimes plunque.

kinda what you expect from a Canadian design.
    Eh!

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone, this is what I thought, but I wanted to run it by the team to be absolutely sure.
    -Texas

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    after a while you will find the sound and feeling charming and reassuring.
    so as has been said, they all klunk.

I am a bit surprised that the pinnacles of perfection, that is to say the SE6 still klunks.
    I suppose they had to design the klunk back in when it was discovered how insecure previous owners were when the gear changes were noiseless.
    The klunk is not as loud on my 2014 vs. the 2011.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have been told by the service technician at my dealer that it is in fact normal. He has given me lots of good advice in the past, and I trust him. My '67 BSA 650 clunked into first even louder than my RT.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    My '67 BSA 650 clunked into first even louder than my RT.
    But remember: your hearing was much better back then!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Rofl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default You CAN engage reverse gear without the clunk....

..... if you are already in 1st gear with the stationary and you want to engage reverse gear.... press and hold the 'R' button and quickly double tap the 'down' lever.... the transmission will go from 1st to neutral then to reverse smoothly without the clunk...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    I'll give that a try this afternoon...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam View Post
    ..... if you are already in 1st gear with the stationary and you want to engage reverse gear.... press and hold the 'R' button and quickly double tap the 'down' lever.... the transmission will go from 1st to neutral then to reverse smoothly without the clunk...
    I have never had a problem with this. Mine too has always gone in smooth to another gear, if leaving a gear. I was refering to that inital gear entry after starting up the trike. However, this was explained as a spinning engine engaging non-spinning gears, which will almost always cause a "Plunk" sound.

However I still don't understand why engaging Reverse causes a "Kerplunk" sound. Since it is just another gear, shouldn't it just make the same sound?
    -Texas

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's got to be more going on; you're changing the direction of the power output... There must be more gears coming to play when you engage reverse.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But remember: your hearing was much better back then!
    What did you say? Speak up please!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Funny thing is when I hear these klunks I think this is fairly tame, but my last bike was a Harley that I swear you could hear it a block away when I shifted into first.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll bet it sounded and felt as if the transmission was trying to kick some gears out through the side of the cases...

I tried that double-tap for getting into reverse...
    The "KerPlunque"; became a simple "Clunque"!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'll bet it sounded and felt as if the transmission was trying to kick some gears out through the side of the cases...

I tried that double-tap for getting into reverse...
    The "KerPlunque"; became a simple "Clunque"!
    It is stated in the manual, instead of double tap, you can press and hold for more than 1/3 of a second and the transmission will double shift from first to reverse smoothly, ditto for reverse to first gear...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I read that too...
    It seems to take a well-practiced set of fingers to do that dance!
    Either that; or mine are just "All Thumbs"!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
    I have never had a problem with this. Mine too has always gone in smooth to another gear, if leaving a gear. I was refering to that inital gear entry after starting up the trike. However, this was explained as a spinning engine engaging non-spinning gears, which will almost always cause a "Plunk" sound.

However I still don't understand why engaging Reverse causes a "Kerplunk" sound. Since it is just another gear, shouldn't it just make the same sound?
    For the initial engagement into first or reverse, you can greatly reduce the sound if you let the engine warm up to it's operating temperature... for reverse, if I'm not wrong, based on automotive transmission design for reverse gear, it is a simultaneous movement of a physical reverse gear wheel and the dog clutch, therefore you have the "Kerplunk" instead of just "Plunk" for first gear....