Spyder Garage

Default RT & 622 Trailer Question

I have a 2011 RT Limited with a matching 622 Trailer. I have towed the trailer with very little weight and, like many have said, I hardly know its back there.

I am going on a trip now and I am loaded to the 150 LB limit. My question is, for those that have pulled at this weight limit, how does it handle? Has has anyone exceeded the weight limit? If so by how much and what where the effects.

Thanks in advance for your response...

Spyder Garage

Pulled a pop up camper, loaded to California . Did not know trailer was there ! About 50lbs over (:

Spyder Garage

Make sure you pack you heavy items around the axle (middle of the trailer) and lighter items on the ends. You should be good give or take a few pounds.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Default RT & 622 Trailer Question

Same effect as if you have a 150 lbs passenger on the back seat. You will see no difference on effects on your driving.

Spyder Garage

I've done it once.
    Had it loaded to the rim and use a hook scale to weigh everything that went in and to check the tongue weight.

Only thing I noticed was a very slight drop in MPG...that was it.

Spyder Garage

Default trailer Question

I pull a tent trailer with our 2013 RT-S and am slightly over weight with no problem , I am extra careful about keeping the RPMs up and try to never lug it . dropped a few mpgs in the hills but stay at 35 in the flats.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

I just pulled a my 622 with my 2014 and it was well over 150# loaded. I make sure to keep ample weight on the hitch at least 10%, but not much more. As said, you won't know it is there.

If you have less than 10%, the trailer will wag, more is not noticeable but its a rule of thumb with trailers not go beyond to prevent overloading the tow vehicle hitch. Just weight trailer tongue before and after loading at the hitch. You already know the dry weight from the manufacturer but you should weight the luggage ect before loading so you can calculate loaded weight. For example, total comes to 400#, hitch should be about 40# at the coupler.

I hit speeds of 90+ and never felt the trailer behind me until I started to climb the hill and lost some speed. The 622 is an amazing piece of technology with the independent coil over hydraulic shock design. It floats and seldom feeds back into the bike.

Spyder Garage

I tow a Aspen Sentry trailer when loaded it is at or slightly above max. Watch to keep the trailer tongue weight at the max for best handling. I use a hanging scale from the ceiling and the tongue at towing height. I place my cooler on the tongue and load as I will towing using extra gallons of h2o to make up for weight of ice. I then load the trailer watching the tongue weight - keeping it at 35 lbs. If you load up the trailer and then throw the full cooler on - you may be surprised how out of balance it may be!bikentrailer.jpg
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all who responded. I do have the scale and weigh everything that goes in the trailer. I also observe the max tongue weight of 40 lbs. All comments are much appreciated.