Spyder Garage

Default Lost Left Oil Check Cover

Don't know how but lost left cover last Monday. Went to dealer and was quoted $175 for new one. With 20% discount $150. Called yesterday and said the cover was in but it would be and additional $100 for emblem and insulation on cover because they were separate from cover. I like these guys but this seems wrong. I'm wondering if he looked up the wrong part number. They have only had the Spyder about 6 months. $250 for that piece of plastic seems way high. What have your experiences when buying side cover?
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hate to say it; but that price is in the ballpark...
    Questions: How long have you had the bike, and have you removed that cover?
    I'm wondering if it was properly installed by the dealer in the first place...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I had lost mine a few months back and my dealer was able to get it covered under warrantee. Mine blew off on a highway.
    NEW 2016 RT-S Special Series Triple Black - ready for new toys to add
    OLD 2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metalic CB-Navigation-XM, Sway bar, Ultimate Tallboy

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

This has been an ongoing problem and still is. Some have now tethered them to avoid the problem. Much care is needed to keep them on and if not installed properly they do unfortunately blow off. As mentioned who installed it last and can the cover or help out with the cost. Also check with cheapcycleparts.com for better price if it's your dime....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Price is right, sorry. There are 3 plastic pinsthat fit in the rubber grommets that need to be pushed in and at the top left as your are facing the panel you need to push the top edge in and you will hear a snap as it engages. Not a very hard push but it is needed. you would think that the 3 big plastic pins and rubber grommets would hold it in but it doesn't. Must be something to do with wind and suction.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you recently had your Spyder serviced I would insist that they cover the replacement. I always check my panels after I pick my Spyder up from service just to be sure that everything is on properly. Did you recently check your oil? Then you may have pushed one of the grommets all the way through the hole which would leave the panel loose and ready to fly off.

There are several ways to tether the panel, the one I have used in the past is velcro. Cut a piece a few inches long and adhere it across the top of the panel.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmar157 View Post
    I had lost mine a few months back and my dealer was able to get it covered under warrantee. Mine blew off on a highway.
    Good point; the bike should still be under warranty.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

After reading about so many folks losing them, I bought some 30 lb plastic coated wire fishing leaders and made tethers for mine. If they blow off, at least they won't hit the ground . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default How to tether

An extra benefit of the Baker Bilt airwings (which reallllly work well for air control...heat & cold) is they make sure I never lost that panel (a real fear of mine) when I had the '10. Sure hope the dealer steps up to the plate for you under warranty... See you soon.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default How I tethered panel and cable tied grommets

Sorry to hear you lost a panel and the cost of a replacement!

I have never lost one, but have taken steps to prevent ....as others have mentioned. Here's a few pics and suggestions:

1. I have cable tied all the grommets to their frame when I remove a panel....it helps the grommets stay in place and if you pop them out accidentally, they will stay right there to put back in.

2. I use a caribiner with 110 lb test shock cord (550 lb max load) for the tether. I originally had fishing leaders (20lb test), but replaced with the more robust shock cord. The caribiner is there so the panel can easily be removed from the frame when working on the bike.

Here's a couple of pics: Attached Thumbnails
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 05-30-2014 at 11:22 AM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Does the B.E.S.T warranty cover the part?
    If the manufacture warrantee has run out.

Deanna777
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Post Basic BOM, there could be more to it even,...

LH Panel Replacement BOM.jpg

That is expensive,...at least they gave you a discount. Sheesh
    2014 Spyder RT Limited , OEM NA Satin Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thanks for input much appreciated I am quite sure it was installed correctly because I was showing my wife how to install it if she ever needed to install and I have installed several times. Tab was behind top and all three plugs were securely in place. She even commented on how they had to line up and how you had to pop them so they were tight. Guess I'll have to tether it somehow. Thanks for suggestions. Still seems rather high cost wise .
    Last edited by Showie; 05-30-2014 at 12:25 PM.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

I make a habit of checking mine before I leave the dealer's lot every time I have it serviced. Unfortunately on several occasions I have found one or both of the panels not installed properly. I started checking them after I was lucky to make it home once without losing an improperly installed panel.

2014 RT Limited - Black / Currant

Spyder Garage

Same for me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dadof4 View Post
    I make a habit of checking mine before I leave the dealer's lot every time I have it serviced. Unfortunately on several occasions I have found one or both of the panels not installed properly. I started checking them after I was lucky to make it home once without losing an improperly installed panel.
    Likewise and similar experiences. My 2014 came delivered with both panels installed improperly.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm glad I got an RS-S. It's sad that it's cheaper for BRP to replace the panel than fix the problem. Until some dies! That's IMHO.

Mike