Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hit a snag.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I hit a snag.

I have polio. cant walk or stand. I use a power chair,I plan on ,if I need to use my chair that day on that trip I will haul it in a trailer.. I can have a pas. unload, or ask a passer by to help. Will I have to get totaly off the Spyder to refuel? Will I have to unload wheelchair? To get off the seat?

Spyder Garage

Default Seat

Suggest you buy a custom seat with a fuel door in it. Corbin has such a seat which can be opened while seated on the bike, otherwise your seat needs to be lifted up for refueling. By the way which model are you getting.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by evansvillenowmilton View Post
    I have polio. cant walk or stand. I use a power chair,I plan on ,if I need to use my chair that day on that trip I will haul it in a trailer.. I can have a pas. unload, or ask a passer by to help. Will I have to get totaly off the Spyder to refuel? Will I have to unload wheelchair? To get off the seat?
    That's an interesting question. With a stock seat, I think you'd have to get off, but there are custom seats with fuel doors in them. I'm not really fond of the Ultimate that I have in that respect and think the Corbin system is better. Now, let's say you have the fuel door so you don't have to lift the seat, so that part of the problem is do-able. Next problem, if you miss the island with the wheel, can you still reach the pump to operate it while sitting in the seat? To be honest, I don't know, but when I go to the gas station tomorrow, I'll try it and report back to you.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

havnt made my mind up yet as to what model. Im looking at a 2014 RT.I cant do the $30,000..I think $22,000. I can afford I sold my truck. to much for lift replacement...Spyder has to be more fun. . still working out in my head the how to..I know I can get on .It will be much easyer at my home rather than a store full of folks.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post
    That's an interesting question. With a stock seat, I think you'd have to get off, but there are custom seats with fuel doors in them. I'm not really fond of the Ultimate that I have in that respect and think the Corbin system is better. Now, let's say you have the fuel door so you don't have to lift the seat, so that part of the problem is do-able. Next problem, if you miss the island with the wheel, can you still reach the pump to operate it while sitting in the seat? To be honest, I don't know, but when I go to the gas station tomorrow, I'll try it and report back to you.
    thanks Steve do that. Im a big guy.. But check this out I call inside with my phone to get help pumping. If I can reach it I will hunt a seat down. later

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

havnt made my mind up yet as to what model. Im looking at a 2014 RT.I cant do the $30,000..I think $22,000. I can afford I sold my truck. to much for lift replacement...Spyder has to be more fun. . still working out in my head the how to..I know I can get on .It will be much easyer at my home rather than a store full of folks.
    Just curious, how do you plan on carrying your chair on an RT? I've only seen it done on an RS and I suppose it would work on the ST too.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

you can have a gas door installed, or get a new seat with one in it as far as gas goes. As for the chair, the RT's have trunks and side bags. Most have been using the RS/RSS/ST's. But there must be a way to have a hitch rack or trailer depending on the weights of the power chair..check the enabled spyder lovers forum..good luck and hope your on the road soon...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I know this is a completely different animal but I think I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it. I have seen a couple of sidecar setups built to roll a wheelchair up on and control the bike from the chair. Handlebars were connected to the steering head with control arms and throttle and front brake with extended cables. Both setups I've seen were on the old Hondamatic transmissions where no clutch was needed so rear brakes could be operated from a lever on the left handlebar. I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of getting on a Spyder but this is another option that you might consider as it would allow you to remain in the chair and eliminate the problem of getting on and off, fueling up, etc. Best of luck with whatever option you choose and hope to see you on the road sometime soon.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

This looks like it might work...any idea of where to get it built in the US? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9JP7Mx7XCv4
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well, if it was me, I'd have to make the call and get the guy to come out and pump for me. I'm pretty small and no matter how I tried, I couldn't use the pump myself. Sorry, but with the fuel door, at least you don't have to get off the bike if someone else is pumping fuel. I could, however, use the ATM from the bike seat.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=evansvillenowmilton;...I got it..it came to me this morning while I was fussen about my lift in my truck. BOOM Put a lift on the front of my trailer. I can make the lift put the chair near the pass.seat of Spyder.Then I can reach it.Then I buy that CORbIN seat with the gas cap on the exter. of the seat. Im set..... Na BIKEGUY I got my mind set on a Spyder.I thoght about the side car thing. I can get on a Spyder off the show room floor and ride it.New and dependable.A bike with a side car . I would have to do engineering and the cost. When I need to sell Spyder there will be no ADA add ons.

Spyder Garage

What does your chair weigh?

Does the chair have a central lift point?

I know when backing up the RT622 trailer you can get the trailer 90° to the Spyder with ease... just thinking out loud cause I do fabrication and machining work for a living. I'm thinking a dedicated trailer for the chair... maybe where the chair drives off the side right up to the Spyder???

JT

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    What does your chair weigh?

Does the chair have a central lift point?

I know when backing up the RT622 trailer you can get the trailer 90° to the Spyder with ease... just thinking out loud cause I do fabrication and machining work for a living. I'm thinking a dedicated trailer for the chair... maybe where the chair drives off the side right up to the Spyder???

JT
    I came up with this this morning..See what you think... I put a lift for my wheelchair in the center front of my 4x7 trailer.Then I park with trailer Close to JACK KNIFE. Then operate lift from my seat on Spyder, to sit chair rite at the spyder.Thats how my truck worked.. The lift set my power chair at the passenger door from the bed.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Just curious, how do you plan on carrying your chair on an RT? I've only seen it done on an RS and I suppose it would work on the ST too.
    Trailer with a lift.

Spyder Garage

I came up with this this morning..See what you think... I put a lift for my wheelchair in the center front of my 4x7 trailer.Then I park with trailer Close to JACK KNIFE. Then operate lift from my seat on Spyder, to sit chair rite at the spyder.Thats how my truck worked.. The lift set my power chair at the passenger door from the bed.
    A 4x7 trailer may be too heavy for the Spyder to pull. The weight limit of the hitch is 400 lbs draw and 40 lbs tongue weight. That's what I had imagined but with a smaller trailer.

Do you have a photo of your current setup?

JT
    Last edited by jthornton; 06-01-2014 at 05:47 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default trailer

A 4x7 trailer may be too heavy for the Spyder to pull. The weight limit of the hitch is 400 lbs draw and 40 lbs tongue weight. That's what I had imagined but with a smaller trailer.

Do you have a photo of your current setup?

JT
    No Im still trying to figure out the how and how much. You now have told me 400# is all I can tow,, That helps.. My chair is 350. So even a small trailer Im over the load limit. I cant get out and up on to the seat from a manual wheelchair.My chair ,,the seat lifts me 8"-10". Then I pull myself in to the seat of my truck and I guess the spyder.I now need to come up with a wheelchair thats lighter.I dont think that will be very easy.Most of the time I will not need a wheelchair. I can just stay on Spyder. I sit . It doesnt matter where or what I sit on. So Ill stay on spyder and site see.. But I wont to be able to have a chair. DR office,shopping,out to eat......

Registered Users EnjoyingTheRyde's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow, those chairs are heavy. They must carry quite a bit of weight just in batteries.
    His: 2012 HD Tri Glide Ember Red/Merlot
    Hers: 2012 Can Am Spyder
    RT-S Quantum Blue Metallic

Spyder Garage

No Im still trying to figure out the how and how much. You now have told me 400# is all I can tow,, That helps.. My chair is 350. So even a small trailer Im over the load limit. I cant get out and up on to the seat from a manual wheelchair.My chair ,,the seat lifts me 8"-10". Then I pull myself in to the seat of my truck and I guess the spyder.I now need to come up with a wheelchair thats lighter.I dont think that will be very easy.Most of the time I will not need a wheelchair. I can just stay on Spyder. I sit . It doesnt matter where or what I sit on. So Ill stay on spyder and site see.. But I wont to be able to have a chair. DR office,shopping,out to eat......
    To be honest with you I've had more that 400 lbs on my trailer hitch when we went to Maggie Valley... my wife brings everything and some twice. An aluminum trailer could be a possibility. What is the foot print of the chair?

I just did a search for a heavy duty chair and the weight only came up at 300 lbs. What make and model chair do you use?

JT
    Last edited by jthornton; 06-01-2014 at 02:45 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoyingTheRyde View Post
    Wow, those chairs are heavy. They must carry quite a bit of weight just in batteries.
    ..Two at 60# each. I hate not to be able to take my chair,the one that fits me,built for me... To switch is life relearning how to walk. I know how to transfer from this chair and I know it can take me 15 miles. It cost $15,000... Im still thinking.I need to get hauler weight down. Im close... Im thinking a big two wheel dolly. Drive chair on to it. Strap it down to dolly. Tilt back and connect hitch. Now I need dolly to be 100#.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

To be honest with you I've had more that 400 lbs on my trailer hitch when we went to Maggie Valley... my wife brings everything and some twice. An aluminum trailer could be a possibility. What is the foot print of the chair?

I just did a search for a heavy duty chair and the weight only came up at 300 lbs. What make and model chair do you use?

JT
    Quantom Q6 Look at my dolly post.. Tell me what you think.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank you. What do you think about Spyder pulling 500# max. I have that? My foot print is 36"x24". Quantom Q6. If you look on you tube .You can see why I dont like being away from it and in a chair the 250# guy cant use well..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    This looks like it might work...any idea of where to get it built in the US? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9JP7Mx7XCv4
    Dan if you seen a Spyder,would you settle for this?

Spyder Garage

Dan if you seen a Spyder,would you settle for this?
    Well, no...just trying to help....I guess it's not a good idea.
    What about an aluminum trailer?
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

JT
    http://www.amazon.com/RAMP-KING-Whee...lchair+carrier
    somthing like this. Add axle and tires,hitch...what ya think.,

Spyder Garage

That's kind of what I was thinking some way to drive it on and off with a ramp or better yet a tilt trailer that is it's own ramp. Aluminum would be the material of choice to keep the weight down. Are there any custom trailer shops near you?

JT