Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RT or ST Handlebars on a 2013 RS-S

Hey everyone,

I have a "13 RS-S. I'm 6'2" and would like to have higher handlebars. I looked at various different handlebar risers and I'm really not crazy about the look. The risers I have looked so far just seem out of place on the machine and look cheap. I would like to swap my original handlebars with ones from an ST or RT. Does anyone have any experience with this mod and what are the height differences on the 2 models, (ST and RT)?? Any help or recommendations on a perhaps a nicer set of risers that don't look like crap would be much appreciated. If anyone has different bars (ST or RT) on their RS, could they share a pic or 2 of how it looks? Thanks a lot everyone!!!!!!
    2013 RS-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eLeetin pyder View Post
    Hey everyone,

I have a "13 RS-S. I'm 6'2" and would like to have higher handlebars. I looked at various different handlebar risers and I'm really not crazy about the look. The risers I have looked so far just seem out of place on the machine and look cheap. I would like to swap my original handlebars with ones from an ST or RT. Does anyone have any experience with this mod and what are the height differences on the 2 models, (ST and RT)?? Any help or recommendations on a perhaps a nicer set of risers that don't look like crap would be much appreciated. If anyone has different bars (ST or RT) on their RS, could they share a pic or 2 of how it looks? Thanks a lot everyone!!!!!!
    If you look In the diy section there is a thread that explains st to rs swap with good instuctions and pictures.
    Will be helpful

Spyder Garage

Yup, i would recommend go to the diy section for the rs-st handlebar swap. I did it last week and makes a huge difference. brings them up higher by about 2 inches and closer to me about 2-3 inches...i'm short tho 5'4, so not sure how comfy it would b for you.
    2013 Silver RS SE5
    Mods: 23 in windshield, Zumo 660 and mount, 2go cup holder, BRP comfort seat, throttle lock, alignment, RS-ST handlebar swap
    2700 miles and loving every minute!

Spyder Garage

Default Looks like..!!

the ST bars would be the better ones seeing as the transition would be RSS-RS-ST-RT with each having a different seating position. I'm 6'1" on an RS and works fine. But then I have always ryden flat bars...good luck and let us know..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The DIY thread is mine. I am 6'6" and I did the ST-RS swap. The height of the ST bars fit very well. I have a much more upright sitting position and less back strain while riding. If you have any questions let me know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hchays View Post
    The DIY thread is mine. I am 6'6" and I did the ST-goingswap. The height of the ST bars fit very well. I have a much more upright sitting position and less back strain while riding. If you have any questions let me know.
    Is there a differance between the st models or they all the same. I was going to order a set from my dealer today but wanted to check is that all I need to order is just the bars or is there additional parts or hardware that I will need.
    Thaks for info

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    Is there a differance between the st models or they all the same. I was going to order a set from my dealer today but wanted to check is that all I need to order is just the bars or is there additional parts or hardware that I will need.
    Thaks for info

The following is your shopping list:

1. Handlebar #709400983 for silver or #709401192 for black $169.99.

2. Plastic Cover Left # 709400988 for Manual clutch(SM5) or 709400987 for Semi Auto(SE5) clutch $12.99.

3. Plastic Cover Right #709400989 $12.99.

4. Screws #205041094 (order 4 screws) $1.99 each.

I would also use a drop of tool removable locktite on the screw threads for the handlebar main mounting bolts. Everything totals just over $200. If you follow my instructions it is an easy swap. As for the cable length when you have the upper body panels off trace the cables and snip (I think only one) wire tie and that will give you plenty of movement on the wires and cable. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Spyder Garage

Default ST Handlebar on RSS Question

I understand from this thread and the one in the DIY section how to do this but wonder if there is another way. I understand that the actual handle bar is a straight piece nod wonder could I just buy a motorcycle handlebar that has rise cut it in two and use that in place of the stock bar? Looking at the parts diagrams it appears the ends of the bars are machined for where the grips attach so maybe not? Sorry if this is a stupid question

Spyder Garage

I went from the stock 2013 RS to handlebars that were removed from a RT. I didn't need any extra parts and everything fit just fine. I did have to loosen some of the wiring under the tupperware so I could get enough slack for the longer handlebars but there was plenty of wire so no problems there.

I do wonder what the ST handlebars would have been like. I went from bent over forward, hands going to sleep, to sitting straight upright, even feels like I am slightly leaning back but I'm not really.

Charles

Attached Images Attached Images
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was wondering if there would be enough slack in the wiring in order to mount the RT bars. Thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    I went from the stock 2013 RS to handlebars that were removed from a RT. I didn't need any extra parts and everything fit just fine. I did have to loosen some of the wiring under the tupperware so I could get enough slack for the longer handlebars but there was plenty of wire so no problems there.

I do wonder what the ST handlebars would have been like. I went from bent over forward, hands going to sleep, to sitting straight upright, even feels like I am slightly leaning back but I'm not really.

Charles

Glad that you posted . I never would have thought that the RT bars would fit an RS. I like the look a lot better than handlebar risers. Nice work.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With a bit of careful shopping; you might even be able to find a set of "Take-Offs" on E-Bay...

Spyder Garage

Default WA5VHU

What year RT bars are those? Does anyone know if older RT bars would mount on a 2012 RSS?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gcclubs View Post
    What year RT bars are those? Does anyone know if older RT bars would mount on a 2012 RSS?
    I'm not positive but I think in 2013 they went from sort of regular handlebars to the same type on the current RT. I doubt if the newer ones are compatible with 2012 and prior RS and ST models.

2012:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gcclubs View Post
    All RT bars are the same...

Spyder Garage

Are you still active on this site?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post

Charles

Will this mod work with a 2012 rs-s sm5 as well?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you need some stock RT bars (in black), let me know.

I installed the Tri-Axis bars for my wife, don't need the stock bars any more.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G