Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My EVO III would be a lot better if I could just bend the whole thing farther forward. As it is it's too short & slants back to driver too much. But would be at the perfect hight if it could be bent forward. I got a heat gun but I was affraid it might melt it. Plus thats a pretty big area to heat. One side would probably get too cold by the time you got to the other side.

Spyder Garage

Have you tried contacting Marcel to see if he could do a re-bend for you? If it was me and I had a heat gun, I would (carefully) try it myself first to see if I had any chance of bending it. I agree that his new windshield designs are slanted back to the rider a lot. His first windshields were a lot more upright.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    ...Unfortunately, the only way you can know what will work for you is to test ride the different windshields. You'll find ride reports vary on all the different windshields, what works great for one person is horrible for someone else.
    I have become a fan of altering stock, or "modifying the mod."

I haven't tried as many shields as Brian has, but I cut my F1 down four times now, and rebent it--at the time it felt like it was a radical bend.

After this past Sunday's test ride, I'm content. It was 39 degrees in New England, and the new modded mod worked great.

I just cut it with a jig saw (low speed), then ground it down with a belt sander little by little:
    Last edited by jeuchler; 11-13-2008 at 06:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Nice John. It doesn't even look like an F1 anymore, much sleeker.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie View Post
    BRP is supposed to be developing a new "Tour" version. May be worth waiting to see what they have in mind. The most effective ones are too tall for my taste and the ones that look good on the Spyder, don't seem to work too well based on most posts here.
    Here is a pic of the new BRP Ultra Touring Windshield. I have one on order.
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeuchler View Post
    I have become a fan of altering stock, or "modifying the mod."

I haven't tried as many shields as Brian has, but I cut my F1 down four times now, and rebent it--at the time it felt like it was a radical bend.

After this past Sunday's test ride, I'm content. It was 39 degrees in New England, and the new modded mod worked great.

I just cut it with a jig saw (low speed), then ground it down with a belt sander little by little:

How did you bend it? Did you just do the top or from the base where it mounts to the spyder. This is where I'd like to bend mine if possible at the base.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Putt-Putt View Post
    How did you bend it? Did you just do the top or from the base where it mounts to the spyder. This is where I'd like to bend mine if possible at the base.
    This is going to be a lot more difficult. You could change the mounting hole spacing very easily. If it was bent while on the Spyder, you could damage other parts with the heat, and could actually need to stretch the plastic of the windshield to obtain the bend you want. I'd have to want to do this real, real bad to take the chance. Why don't you like it so close? I always thought one of the drawbacks of the Spyder shields were that they were located so far forward, so the wind came back over them and hit the rider. Seems to me that closer would be better.
    -Scotty

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

1. The vents in the shield rub on the spyder dash.
    2. It comes back so far you have to be carefull not to hit your face and or helmet shield on it when getting on and off the spyder.
    3. bending it forward would raise the shield to give you better wind protection. As it is it comes to about my chin.

And I agree that it might damage the dash with the heat gun thats why I haven't done it yet. Unless someone has a good idea of how to do it.
    Last edited by Putt-Putt; 11-14-2008 at 10:08 AM.

Spyder Garage

1. The vents in the shield rub on the spyder dash.
    2. It comes back so far you have to be carefull not to hit your face and or helmet shield on it when getting on and off the spyder.
    3. bending it forward would raise the shield to give you better wind protection. As it is it comes to about my chin.

And I agree that it might damage the dash with the heat gun thats why I haven't done it yet. Unless someone has a good idea of how to do it.
    throw it away.....that was my idea..... and just my opinion don't like windshields....
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Putt--

I cut everywhere except the base. I bent (hard) at the top to make a new lip. See the pics in the post above...

Spyder Garage

Default Bending

I have an F1 Evo III Shorty. It had no bend at the top. After a few miles I was a beat up bobble head. I decided to "tune" it per the F1 web site with a heat gun. It heats slowly and I didn't detect any danger of melting. After about ten minute of heating and trying to bend I was able to start bending and for a nice flair at the top. It was easy and made a huge difference. I now love the look and ride of the shield. No really tall toenail looking shields for me!

Dave
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydr in KS View Post
    I have an F1 Evo III Shorty. It had no bend at the top. After a few miles I was a beat up bobble head. I decided to "tune" it per the F1 web site with a heat gun. It heats slowly and I didn't detect any danger of melting. After about ten minute of heating and trying to bend I was able to start bending and for a nice flair at the top. It was easy and made a huge difference. I now love the look and ride of the shield. No really tall toenail looking shields for me!

Dave
    Hey Spyder in KS, do you have a picture of your Spyder with the Evo III shorty on it? I imagine it looks pretty good on the Spyder but I would like to actually see it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeuchler View Post
    Putt--

I cut everywhere except the base. I bent (hard) at the top to make a new lip. See the pics in the post above...
    But what did you use to heat it; to be able to bend it.
    I tried a heat gun for a couple of minutes. Kinda afraid i'd melt it. But to go all the way across at the base from right to left I would think it would cool off too much on the side you started heating on to bend it even. Any suggestions?

Spyder Garage

Default Tuning a F1 Shorty windshield with a heat gun...

Here are a few pictures of my F1 Evoluation Shorty. The first is before I tuned it and the second is after using a heat gun to bend the top. See the F1 web site for videos of how to do it. Keep the heat gun moving back and forth across the area you want to bend. Heat the outside and inside. It took longer than I thought. It was a good ten minutes to build enough heat to allow flexing the windshield to the shape I wanted. It bent very slowly and took some force to move it. With the heat gun I just don't see a danger of melting the shield or getting it so hot you would lose the shape.
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydr in KS View Post
    ...See the F1 web site for videos of how to do it. Keep the heat gun moving back and forth across the area you want to bend. Heat the outside and inside. It took longer than I thought. It was a good ten minutes to build enough heat to allow flexing the windshield to the shape I wanted. It bent very slowly and took some force to move it. With the heat gun I just don't see a danger of melting the shield or getting it so hot you would lose the shape.
    Yup.

There was no melting nor distortion (I was afraid at first, too) but I held the shield horizontally by the lip and let the weight of the rest of the shield bend itself back.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default cal sci 25"

So I put on the cal sci 25" about a week after buying the spyder, all together a totally diffrent ride now. At 6'4" I am able to look over the top the way I like, have no wind pressure on my chest and don't really notice any bobble head. Still have some wind noise but can tell most of the wind is going just over my head. I personally would not like one any higher because of line of sight, but if I duck down all wind noise disappears... however don't like riding crouched down.

Spyder Garage

"... have no wind pressure on my chest and don't really notice any bobble head. Still have some wind noise but can tell most of the wind is going just over my head. I personally would not like one any higher because of line of sight, but if I duck down all wind noise disappears... however don't like riding crouched down.[/quote]

Arachnomania, or anyone with this shield...

Do you get or do you notice any wind coming through the hole "vent" in the windshield? Or maybe noise from there? How about bugs?

Juice
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Spyder Garage

Bump, Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjuice View Post
    "... have no wind pressure on my chest and don't really notice any bobble head. Still have some wind noise but can tell most of the wind is going just over my head. I personally would not like one any higher because of line of sight, but if I duck down all wind noise disappears... however don't like riding crouched down.
    Arachnomania, or anyone with this shield...

Do you get or do you notice any wind coming through the hole "vent" in the windshield? Or maybe noise from there? How about bugs?

Juice[/quote]

Spyder Garage

I don't have a Cal Sci but I do have an EVO II from F1 windshields that has two vents installed in the lower part of the windshield. I wasn't quite sure how they were supposed to direct the air but I imagined that they would direct a nice blast of air through them for comfortable summer riding. However, I felt surprisingly little air coming through them, even at 70 MPH. Not sure if its the same on the Cal Sci or not.

Spyder Garage

I have the Cal Sci and I don't notice any air coming through them at all. I haven't quite figured out just why the cutout is there

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have the EVO-III with 2 vents,Don't feel any air coming through. But if they work like the vent on my BMW it keeps it from fogging up. In rainy or high humidity conditions.

Spyder Garage

ultra sport picking it up tomorrow
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GI Jane View Post
    I have the Cal Sci and I don't notice any air coming through them at all. I haven't quite figured out just why the cutout is there
    At least on the CalSci, the vent is to minimize the turbulence behind the shield.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all who replied. I'm trying to decide on Cal-si, F1, or wait on BRP shield.

Juice