Spyder Garage

Default Memorial Weekend Trip

We originally had local plans but the friend coming to town ended up not being able to, so I suggested we ride the bikes somewhere. Well, my husband grew up in Florida and purchased a motorcycle while he lived there. He eventually took a trip up to Johnson City and surrounding areas, including Big Stone Gap and he brought up the idea of heading back up there. Yes! I'm game! I'm always down for long trips, over night trips, anything to get the wandering travel bug out of my system if only temporarily.

Off we went!

Here are the GPS tracks from our trip:

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2...00062-map.html

Friday we slabbed it out. I left work in College Park @ 2PM ... just in time for Atlanta long weekend traffic to kick in. My husband was trying to time his departure to meet me on the highway but thanks to traffic it took nearly an hour for him to make up the ~2 mile lead I had on him.

At our first fuel stop I made an OpenTable dinner reservation for 6PM at The Corner Kitchen in Asheville and made it there just a half hour late. If you have never been to The Corner Kitchen, I highly suggest it. We went a couple of years ago because I had a coupon and we go back anytime we find ourselves in Asheville.

We crossed the mountains into Erwin, TN just a bit too late to get some sunset pictures. Oh well. Reached the Comfort Suites hotel in Johnson City, TN and promptly crashed out on the bed.

My husband owns 2 FJR's - one that he had before he met me, and his '14. He went to the 2009 FJR Owners Meet and the routes we took over the weekend were previous routes used during the meet.

Saturday we rode what was the EOM-1 route. A quick trip into Shady Valley, then off into Virginia for a bit before heading generally south and crisscrossing between NC and TN a few times heading to Spruce Pine, then across Roan Mountain and back to Johnson City.

Sunday we did the EOM-5 route. Generally it's a loop around Big Stone Gap that goes through Lynch and several other mining areas. Most of the riding we do in the mountains are around protected lands so it's rather striking to see the impact of mining operations. Highlights of the route are VA-72 through Jefferson National Forest and VA-70 into Blackwater, VA. Those two stretches of road are as good as any of the more famous roads in NC & TN.

Monday morning we hit Shady Valley again, making sure to hit the spot where the photographer is stationed (421 on the south side). Went across Roan Mountain again and headed for The Devil's Whip -- NC 80. Unfortunately we got wet towards the end of NC 80 and Blind Kenny had packed it up before we got there. From there we headed for home, with a little detour to Batcave, NC because every time we are nearby my husband remembers he wants to go. Although it was about 25 r/t out of the way, we went and snapped a picture. We ended up taking SC 11 to I-85, again, just because, and discovered the Long Shoals Wayside Park right at sunset. Beautiful little creek / falls area. From there we hauled ass home and arrived a bit after midnight. Who had to get up at 5:30AM to work the next day? Not him, that's who!

For anyone interested, here's a link to his personal stash of the 2009 EOM route files.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u3579grke...-e68IjaXORVqja

Trip Pics:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/tby/se...7644485458647/

Restaurant's:

The Corner Kitchen, Asheville
    http://www.thecornerkitchen.com/

Amazing. Always. Pricey, but worth it. Never had a bad meal there. Highlights are the 3 meat meatloaf, steak, or herb chicken. Menu changes weekly. Desserts are made in house each day. I got the White Chocolate Bread Pudding. It is heavenly.

Freiberg's German, Downtown Johnson City, TN
    http://eatbrats.com/

This was our first time here. It was pretty decent. Casual. I got Rouladen (stuffed beef) with red beets and pan fries. It was good, I just was surprised to see what they consider stuffed. It looked more like an after thought, an 'oops, I forgot, let's just throw a little bit of stuff in here'. It was disappointed. It was 98% beef with none of the bacon, mustard or pickles. Beets and pan fries were awesome. My husband ordered the Paprika Schnitzel with Bavarian Potato Salad and pan fries. He said the Schnitzel was good, the potato salad was not (I agreed, way too much dill) and again pan fries were yums. We both ordered the Apfel Strudel for dessert. It was very good. Since we were riding we didn't drink so I can't comment on the selection.

Pine Mountain Grill, Kentucky
    http://www.pinemountaingrill.com/

It was this place or McDonald's. It seems like a 4 star on the outside. Also because it is the ONLY place around to eat. Place is large, good for crowds and families. We got there on a Sunday after church folks started arriving and we didn't have to wait long. They have a patio but apparently never seat people on it. That sucked. Waitress was less than stellar, but the menu looked good. I went with the Cornbread BBQ Stacker and fries while Bryce went with the Split Roast Beef Sandwich. My sandwich was made for a knife and fork and was absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately, the same could not be said for his sandwich. The menu states that it is slow roasted over night for the flavor. Apparently they cooked it so long it took the flavor right out. Very disappointing. When we went to pay our bill at the front desk I mentioned that his sandwich was not good and she took it off the bill no questions asked. I appreciated that very much.

Logan's Roadhouse, Johnson City
    http://www.logansroadhouse.com/

I know, I know. A CHAIN restaurant! Well, getting back to the hotel super super late and not wanting to get back on the bikes, Logan's was our only option since it was right next door to the hotel. Staff was friendly, food was good, and it was not that busy. Steaks cooked perfectly the first time, which is a rarity anywhere these days. Porterhouse and tater for the hubs, the Logan's steak for me (not pictured, I was hungry!)

Whiteway Grill Restaurant
    https://plus.google.com/100164496370...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Not recommended. Run down, cardboard over a broken window or two. Hot, air didn't seem to be working well. Run by some older women who move slow (no insult meant) and who aren't very friendly or ... engaging? The cook is young and came out to talk to us. Friendly, but needs to figure out what salt and pepper and seasonings are. And how to properly broil cheese on top of tater tots. Wasn't very busy and a woman next to us who heard me order a chicken sandwich cautioned that it took 40 minutes for hers to arrive. Thankfully mine took 20. Nothing to write home about. Plain chicken (which is why I mentioned the use of salt, pepper and seasonings). Husband asked for a burger w/ lettuce, tomato, and some condiments, as did I. They forgot his lettuce and tomato. This is a great spot to be in, just needs some updating (inside and outside and staff-wise) and this could be a rockin' place!

Riverview Grill, US-321 east of Watauga Lake
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/36...s0x0:0x0?hl=en

Stopped at a run down looking former Citgo because it had a sign for a deli and we were hawngry! We were skeptical of the place but this was possibly the best bacon cheeseburger Bryce has ever had. I got a grilled chicken sandwich and we split some french fries - my sandwich was delish! Took a while as he'd received a large order (we got there right at the prime lunch time apparently) but we had been riding a while and the long break was just what we needed. Guy was friendly, the store had other supplies / drinks / snacks and a clean bathroom.

Favorite picture from the trip:
    Last edited by Asdgirl; 05-29-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Great trip..!!

just wondering if you saw any sceenery or just all this mouth watering food..?? best way to travel..must have been a wonderful trip..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default ADVENTUROUS ROUTE!!!!

I'm still trying to figure out if I (personally) admired the ride more than the food!!

Sounds like you two had a great time!!!
    "Ride Safe, Ride Long, and Ride Often...Be Free on Three"
    ValCruzSpyder
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Well, I didn't want to crowd the thread with all of our pictures so I posted up the link to all of them instead

I am a mini foodie and know that a lot of folks look for different/new places to go on their trips that aren't chains so I try to give some info on the ones we have encountered.

I will be updating it to include more pictures and/or commentary but posted before I fully committed myself to doing that. I wasn't sure if I wanted to, but think I do!

And thanks, it was a fantastic trip!

Spyder Garage

Default Great report

I can never do a report this detailed.
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidTNDawg View Post
    I can never do a report this detailed.
    Heck, I feel like I could've done better. Not that I have the time or the patience, today at least.

Spyder Garage

Nice trip and good looking food. How did you do the route map?

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post

JT
    That would be a husband question. Directing him here now

Spyder Garage

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input

Feed it your GPS tracks and it will make you a map. From there you'll have to download it and host it somewhere. They can also send your map to Everytrail.com if you don't want to muck around with hosting it yourself.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tby View Post
    http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input

Feed it your GPS tracks and it will make you a map. From there you'll have to download it and host it somewhere. They can also send your map to Everytrail.com if you don't want to muck around with hosting it yourself.
    Thanks, that is pretty neat. Can you add waypoints with a smart phone?

JT

Spyder Garage

All your restaurant reviews has given me the idea to make an on line restaurant data base kinda like my food recipe database so I can look up restaurants I might want to visit when we are on a trip. It would be neat to look up by state then major city sorta like I did with the Spyders to the Rescue database.

JT

Spyder Garage

All your restaurant reviews has given me the idea to make an on line restaurant data base kinda like my food recipe database so I can look up restaurants I might want to visit when we are on a trip. It would be neat to look up by state then major city sorta like I did with the Spyders to the Rescue database.

JT
    Great plan! I will have to take a look at the recipe's - I'm always looking for new ones!

I also will want a link to the FoodBase (okay, that's the name I had in my head for your Food Database) since we travel frequently

Spyder Garage

Thanks, that is pretty neat. Can you add waypoints with a smart phone?
    I don't think either site does anything with smartphones. GPSVisualizer has a bunch of tools for converting GPS files into different formats and getting stuff into or out of Google Maps / Google Earth. EveryTrail is a site for sharing the roads you've traveled.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Asdgirl View Post
    Great plan! I will have to take a look at the recipe's - I'm always looking for new ones!

I also will want a link to the FoodBase (okay, that's the name I had in my head for your Food Database) since we travel frequently
    FoodBase sounds cool... also here is the link for my favorite recipes that are not in the recipe database. I'll give you a link when I get it done or at least started so maybe you can give me some feedback on the user interface.

Thanks
    JT

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting about your trip. Bikes, great scenery, and good food make for a great combo--anytime. Glad I am going to go on a group ride tonight. The food is not going to be as good looking though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

LOL No calories in ant of those meals. Coming back from Spyderfest wife and I had a couple of meals like that. One at Ole's Big Game Restaurant in Paxton NE. and Delmonicoes in Rapid City, SD.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

FoodBase sounds cool... also here is the link for my favorite recipes that are not in the recipe database. I'll give you a link when I get it done or at least started so maybe you can give me some feedback on the user interface.

Thanks
    JT
    That would be wonderful, and thanks for the link. It's nice to have something new to do at work when I'm not busy

Spyder Garage

JT
    We have used this site for years anytime we take a roadtrip and have found many interesting restaurants with it...
    They also have published several books on restaurants across the country.

http://www.roadfood.com/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    We have used this site for years anytime we take a roadtrip and have found many interesting restaurants with it...
    They also have published several books on restaurants across the country.

http://www.roadfood.com/
    Pretty cool site and would know the spotlight was on Middendorfs in Akers, LA. We used to eat there all the time when we lived in LaPlace LA. It's kinda hard to navigate on the phone but not as bad as some sites. The recipies look good too...

JT