Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT LTD -- Is a belt guard a necessary/recommended accessory option?

Advice from 2014 RT LTD owners please....Is a belt guard recommended?

Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

are you referring to the spyderpops additional belt guard..?? It's not recommended by brp maybe some folks here that have installed it. It is an option and a bit more protection for the rather expensive belt..your choice..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have one belt guard install on my Spyder. It's a must if you don't want any small rock destroy your belt. It's not expensive...

Spyder Garage

People do claim they work for keeping small rocks out of the belt. I have replaced two belts at $350 plus tow because of rocks.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Smile Thank You from New Owner

Thanks to all for your response to my questions and advice leading up to me becoming a first time spyder owner.

I'm now a very proud owner of a 2014 silver RT LTD SE6.

To use an Australian expression...."the spyder experience is the best thing since sliced bread".

Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Thanks to all for your response to my questions and advice leading up to me becoming a first time spyder owner.

I'm now a very proud owner of a 2014 silver RT LTD SE6.

To use an Australian expression...."the spyder experience is the best thing since sliced bread".

Thank you.
    Congratulations on your new Spyder! The question on the belt guard is one that comes up now and then. I put one on my2010 RT S just as a little inexpensive insurance . It does look as though it would deflect small stones from the belt. There have been only a few that I have read about with belts damaged from rocks. Maybe they have to drive on rocky roads or driveways on a regular basis. I very seldom drive on gravel. To me it would be well worth the 30 dollars or so to buy one and stick it on. I check my belt regularly and after 24,000 miles it still looks almost new.
    As a first time owner read all the advise on the forum for new owners. A lot of good information.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is it "necessary"?
    No...
    It actually depends on how and where you ride...

If your idea of "off-Road", is backing onto the edge of your lawn to wash the bike... probably not.
    If you avoid the kind of roads that would make a BMW GS owner drool... definitely not!
    If you end up in the occasional unpaved parking lot, and take your time navigating it; being mindful of the possiblitliy of picking up a small stone...
    Well; that's how I roll, and I've had no problems so far!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

There are two ways to look at this
    1. the belt guard deflects rocks
    2. the belt guard funnels rocks into the belt
    I go for # 2
    I drive on gravel roads and I feel if a rock gets up on the belt in front of the belt guard it will go threw the pulley because it can not fall off with guards on both sides
    just my $.02
    I do not have belt gaurd
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

I found that I had torn belt on the 2014 RT Limited at the owners event in Durango. The bike had no belt guard and I normally do not ride over gravel. My previous 2 Spyders had belt guards. I can tell you it was a head arch there were only 2 belts at dealers in the US one in California and the other in New Hampshire. It took 3 days to come from Calif and cost over $450.00 to get it and have it installed. After it was installed I immediately put on a belt guard. I would really of had a problem if I was in the middle of know where without a dealer being available.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    are you referring to the spyderpops additional belt guard..?? It's not recommended by brp maybe some folks here that have installed it. It is an option and a bit more protection for the rather expensive belt..your choice..
    If you would please, you say it is not recommended by brp. Are you saying that somewhere brp specifically says one should not be installed, or are you saying brp just ignores recommending adding one. As I read your post I believe you mean the latter since if they recommended adding one they would be admitting they didn't do the job right in the first place which I don't think the lawyers would allow them to do. Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that you may be reading more into their silence; than what actually exists...

After all; they don't recomment adding flux capacitors either; does that mean that the bikes are underpowered, and they don't want to admit it?
    Oh wait! That's another thread!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I think that you may be reading more into their silence; than what actually exists...

After all; they don't recomment adding flux capacitors either; does that mean that the bikes are underpowered, and they don't want to admit it?
    Oh wait! That's another thread!!
    I thing SpyderPops is coming out with a flux capacitor next year!!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Note to self: Call Harvey early in 2015...

Spyder Garage

Default Yes, Yes and Yes on Spyderpops Belt Guard

I put on my 2010 RT because I have 1/4 mile of gravel to my house. Wanted the "insurance". When I ordered my 2014 that was on the MUST HAVE before I pick up new ryde. I would not be without one.
    Reread Red Angels post. I rode with them to OEvent and we had a few short areas of gravel in CO...pretty sure when we stopped to enjoy the Elk herd is where he picked up the gravel that damaged his belt.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5