Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Very noisy fuel pump!

Anyone notice excess fuel pump whine on their 2014? Had mine replaced by dealer at 2000 miles for noise. Replacement unit is even noisier. You can hear it wailing away even while the bike is running. Sitting at a stop lite and a guy in the car next to me remarked "great lookin Spyder; what's the loud whining noise!" Really embarrassing. Pump seems to work fine, just very loud. Any comments?
    GUZZI :
    2020 RTL blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You could always tell folks that it's the turbocharger spooling up, and getting ready for another AWESOME launch!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Where do you notice the sound coming from? When I come to a stoplight, I can sometimes here a very slight high pitch sound (like a jet sounds when sitting at a terminal). It's never been annoying; more interesting than anything else. For me, it adds more mystery to the workings of the Spyder.
    Last edited by Texas; 05-27-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

An extremely loud sound on mine is when the radiator fans kick in while sitting at a long light. Or maybe that's when they go into reverse; they never stay on but about 10-15 seconds.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check obstruction on your fuel line. Fuel pump might be working to hard.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Guzzi View Post
    Anyone notice excess fuel pump whine on their 2014? Had mine replaced by dealer at 2000 miles for noise. Replacement unit is even noisier. You can hear it wailing away even while the bike is running. Sitting at a stop lite and a guy in the car next to me remarked "great lookin Spyder; what's the loud whining noise!" Really embarrassing. Pump seems to work fine, just very loud. Any comments?
    I notice a whine as well...didn't know what it was. Sometimes it seems louder than at other times. I also occasional hear the "jet engine" sound mentioned by Texas. I'll mention it to my dealer if for no other reason than just to get my concern on record.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only "Whine" that I hear ... Comes from the back seat!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Laugh now... She's sitting behind me, and I can't tell what she's planning...

Spyder Garage

Laugh now... She's sitting behind me, and I can't tell what she's planning...
    HA! Ok, since you'al digressed from the subject; have never had any fuel injected bike or otherwise, put out this loud a sound or whine once the engine is started. The dealer first noticed the original pump was noisy, and called CanAm for the ok to replace it under warranty. The new one is louder than the original. You can only ignore it so long, til it starts getting on my nerves. Dealer has spoke to CanAm about it, and they have only responded with their usual silence. Other new bikes on the dealer floor are not nearly as loud, so there must be something wrong. I guess in time they will find, at least, a partial cure for the problem.
    GUZZI :
    2020 RTL blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Dangerous ground I would not go there

Spyder Garage

Had mine replaced last week, fixed my issue. Dealer said it sounded fine, I pushed for a case with BRP got it with ease. Got new pump, installed and no more whine.

Spyder Garage

The CanAm tech at the owners event listened to the whine on my 2014 RTL and said it was the fuel pump, and to tell my dealer to replace it when I get the 3k service. I now have that scheduled. The service manager says it will take about 4 hours to replace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well; mine started getting "Whiney" today today also...2700 miles.
    Question: is it okay to continue to run the bike this way, or should I schedule my 3,000 mile break-in service a bit earlier than anticipated?

Spyder Garage

Well; mine started getting "Whiney" today today also...2700 miles.
    Question: is it okay to continue to run the bike this way, or should I schedule my 3,000 mile break-in service a bit earlier than anticipated?
    Bob, I think many of us have the same thing, but describe it differently. Mine is rather annoying as I don't listen to the radio and can hear it Wa-waing at whatever speed I run. At idle its a constant whirr. Techs say "they all do that". I think perhaps they do, and some folks haven't tuned in to it yet. So, don't worry about it, keep on trucking.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Beside Bob I have seen you sitting..dejected.. on a flat bed before so you are experienced. Thanks for being a test pilot..again

Spyder Garage

Default Very noisy fuel pump

Quote Originally Posted by Guzzi View Post
    Me too. My machine has been idle for about a month. When I started it up to move it out of the garage, I heard a strange noise coming from under the Tupperware. I determined it was the fuel pump by shutting the machine down for a few minutes, then turn the key and then flip on the kill switch. I am able to hear the pump build up pressure and then stop. The pump noise resumes when the engine starts up and runs.There is a call to my dealer in the near future. Based on what I have been reading here, sounds like I'm not the only one hearing strange noises.
    Ron

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I start mine by turning on the key, wait for the display to wake up, then flip the run/stop button down and yell "CONTACT". It gives the fuel pump noise some meaniing....saw that in a movie once...but I think it was a plane they were starting up. Anyway sounds like they all do it. I would rather it make some noise than not and have to walk home. Nature of the beast...

Spyder Garage

Ours turned from a flop-flop-flop to a whine just like the APU of the commercial jet planes at about 450 miles!
    So is the dealer or BRP going to say its normal on all the 2014 RTs?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Benggolf View Post
    Ours turned from a flop-flop-flop to a whine just like the APU of the commercial jet planes at about 450 miles!
    So is the dealer or BRP going to say its normal on all the 2014 RTs?
    Yep, pretty much. They told my dealer to only replace my fuel pump if it was more noisy than other 14s they have or have serviced. Dealer said mine is about the same as all the ones they have checked out. Just hoping it doesn't decide to crap out on me when I'm on a long trip. Supposedly the fuel pumps are not faulty, just noisy.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just found this thread while searching about noisy fuel pumps.

I've had my Spyder RT-S for a couple of weeks now. My fuel pump started to get noisy at about 600 mi. Seems quiet when first started, but gets noisy after the bike is ridden for a while.

Contacted my dealer and set up a warranty check for next week. Got the usual "haven't heard of that before". Reminds me of my BMW dealer. LOL

I'll point out this thread to him.

This will be a good test of what kind of dealer I have. So far i'm not too impressed with the service writer…………….doesn't seem too interested in the problem.

Other than that I really like the bike. We've had both a Goldwing 1500 and 1800 trike. The Spyder is much more fun!

Jim

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim T View Post
    Just found this thread while searching about noisy fuel pumps.

I've had my Spyder RT-S for a couple of weeks now. My fuel pump started to get noisy at about 600 mi. Seems quiet when first started, but gets noisy after the bike is ridden for a while.

Contacted my dealer and set up a warranty check for next week. Got the usual "haven't heard of that before". Reminds me of my BMW dealer. LOL

I'll point out this thread to him.

This will be a good test of what kind of dealer I have. So far i'm not too impressed with the service writer…………….doesn't seem too interested in the problem.

Other than that I really like the bike. We've had both a Goldwing 1500 and 1800 trike. The Spyder is much more fun!

Jim
    Do you use "Powersports"? Keep me posted, cause I'll be next in line.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Do you use "Powersports"? Keep me posted, cause I'll be next in line.
    I sure will. I'm scheduled for next Thursday.

Spyder Garage

My 14 is really noisy, but only sometimes. Mostly it's fine, but every now and then it gets real loud. It's been so intermittant I am unable to pin point a possible triggering event. So, I'll just wait and see.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6