Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Perhaps the cheapest performance ever

Sorry but the best I can tell this only applys to the GS/RS up thru 2012. In my quest for faster times this year at Spyderfest I had intentions of building a ram air airfilter for my Spyder during disassembly I noticed this part in the air box I had not noticed before. For the life of me I can't understand it's purpose other than a factory restrictor plate as in NASCAR. with this in place you only have two roughly 2 inch holes for the air to enter the air box, with it removed you get around a 3x5 hole for air flow. With the original air box still in place you still get the advantage of cool air flow into the intake unlike the after market air filter conversions that are pulling their air from around the engine (hot air). My 08 GS has been running an HMF muffler since the 1st year I owned it and has always had popping on decel, I considered 02 modifier, juice boxes, and other enrichment devices but never read good enough reviews to convince me. By removing this from the air box my butt dyno says it runs a lot better and virtually took out all of the popping from the exhaust. My times only improved slightly however I was having a terrible time getting enough traction off the line this year. Like I said I'm not sure of the purpose of this chunk of rubber, maybe water control or noise control but mine has become a permanent wall decoration. So not only is this mod free it also leaves you a very artful looking chunk of rubber to hang in your ManCave.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

I've never understood that either. Especially when one of the tubes is right up near the coolant tank. Not sure how much ,if any, air is getting through the inside tube.

Very Happy '08 Spyder RS Owner

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

the intension was to feed the air direct to the air filter. Don't think the achived that too well. Iremoved the whole box and went with the JT air system and added direct air flow to the filter and cycinder heads...20140406_122724.jpg 20140509_133419.jpg but you are right that would allow more air flow to the filter...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default snorkel tubes

the right side tube lines up pretty good with the right side fog light opening, at least on my 08 it does. the left tube is nearly blocked by the coolant tank, making it semi-useless. i think in the past, some folks have used 3 or 4 inch flexpipe from the foglight hole, up to the airbox. either way, it sounds like a good cheap mod worth doing.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Lee View Post
    Sorry but the best I can tell this only applys to the GS/RS up thru 2012. In my quest for faster times this year at Spyderfest I had intentions of building a ram air airfilter for my Spyder during disassembly I noticed this part in the air box I had not noticed before. For the life of me I can't understand it's purpose other than a factory restrictor plate as in NASCAR. with this in place you only have two roughly 2 inch holes for the air to enter the air box, with it removed you get around a 3x5 hole for air flow. With the original air box still in place you still get the advantage of cool air flow into the intake unlike the after market air filter conversions that are pulling their air from around the engine (hot air). My 08 GS has been running an HMF muffler since the 1st year I owned it and has always had popping on decel, I considered 02 modifier, juice boxes, and other enrichment devices but never read good enough reviews to convince me. By removing this from the air box my butt dyno says it runs a lot better and virtually took out all of the popping from the exhaust. My times only improved slightly however I was having a terrible time getting enough traction off the line this year. Like I said I'm not sure of the purpose of this chunk of rubber, maybe water control or noise control but mine has become a permanent wall decoration. So not only is this mod free it also leaves you a very artful looking chunk of rubber to hang in your ManCave.
    Was wondering what you did to your Spyder...

I'm old school coming from carburetors and jets, so what ever it's worth... cool air is denser, so in cold weather the engine sings. Hot weather the engine is so-so. An engine confined by tupperware has to have a cool/ambiant air source. Take that source away, you're trusting the EFI to keep the air/fuel ratios in tolerance. Don't trust anything smarter than me.

Getting cooler through to the air box by making larger ambient air-in-takes would be the way to feed the beast...

Take pictures of your new ram air design, I won't tell anyone.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

I only planned the ram air in my head, when I studied the stock box I decided it had advantages, minus the restricter plate of course. before it had smaller holes coming into the box than the holes in the throttle body. This way the air still comes from the cool area in front of the engine and has to be drawn upward and hopefully having a drying effect when riding in the rain which always is a problem with direct ram air.

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Was wondering what you did to your Spyder...

I'm old school coming from carburetors and jets, so what ever it's worth... cool air is denser, so in cold weather the engine sings. Hot weather the engine is so-so. An engine confined by tupperware has to have a cool/ambiant air source. Take that source away, you're trusting the EFI to keep the air/fuel ratios in tolerance. Don't trust anything smarter than me.

Getting cooler through to the air box by making larger ambient air-in-takes would be the way to feed the beast...

Take pictures of your new ram air design, I won't tell anyone.
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think some of the design is for rain water control. We have a guy who cut it down/shortened it. He cut one block off the exterior and 2 on the interior tube on the foglight vent side. Then did 2 on the exterior reservoir side and one on the interior.
    Basically shortened the assembly but staggered the tube lengths to clear the reservoir better.
    Said it works well for him.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

The part you removed is called a air mufflers. It's there to get rid of any noise from the air getting sucked into the engine and to get cold air from in front of the engine, and yes was a good idea until BRP put the 180+ deg. F. radiator tank less than an inch front of it. Putting a 5'' to 6'' round ducting fits in the 5'x 3' and get cold air from the right side of the tank. That IMHO.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeinGA; 05-26-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

I'm curious if anyone has removed this from a spyder with stock exhaust, and if so what kind of improvements was seen.
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    The part you removed is called a air mufflers. It's there to get rid of any noise from the air getting sucked into the engine and to get cold air from in front of the engine, .
    What's wrong with a little "Intake-Honk" amongst friends?
    Years' ago; I had a Doge Dakota with the 318 under the hood. We opened up the intake, and added a Jacobs high Voltage ignition to it. It woke that little truck up!
    And we you jumped on the loud pedal; the sound was music to the ears!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-18-2014 at 12:44 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hhhhhmmmmm??????? Have to take closer look at my airbox the next time I have my plastic off. There's no such thing as too many mods..........................until it stops running!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Default Update

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    The part you removed is called a air muffler. It's there to get rid of any noise from the air getting sucked into the engine and to get cold air from in front of the engine, and yes was a good idea until BRP put the 180+ deg. F. radiator tank less than an inch front of it. Putting a 5'' to 6'' round ducting fits in the 5'x 3' and get cold air from the right side of the tank. That IMHO.

I modified the air muffler. I cut off the front of the tubes, back to the first rib and I put eight 1/2" holes into the bottom of the tubes that are inside the air box. I marked the throttle grip before the mods. and after. There was about 3/16 between the lines, showing that the air flow was coming to the air box faster. In about 500 miles pull the plugs to see that gas/air mixture is good.

Mike

Spyder Garage

This discussion made sense to me; on my 2012 RS SE5, I just removed my air muffler/rubber inlet tubes running into the air filter. And gonna keep an eye on plugs & performance & mileage. Just wondering if anyone had adverse impact on removing inlet tubes?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use the Kewlmetal air cleaner. On my wife's 2008 GS I took off the rubber air intake and cut the opening with a saw to as big as I could(don't remember the dimensions). I then fastened 1/4 inch hardware cloth over the opening to keep varmints out. Her's appears to work as good as mine, but is quieter. Also, there are many flow distrupters in the air box that I massaged or removed. More air in more power out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    Hhhhhmmmmm??????? Have to take closer look at my airbox the next time I have my plastic off. There's no such thing as too many mods..........................until it stops running!
    You take it to that point...

..And then back up; one modification!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You take it to that point...

..And then back up; one modification!
    Been a couple of times I got away with that.............................then there were the "other" times .........................requiring the attention of a professional that knew what they were doing.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They're never running better...

...Than right before...

Spyder Garage

Default F Y I

I just talked to someone today that removed the rubber tubes from his 2012 RS air box and the only problem he had was getting a lot of large pieces of dirt in the front of the air box. The one time, in the fall, he got leaves in the air box that caused the engine to shut off and had to pull the leaves out of the air box and some were stuck his K&N air filter. He then put some screening on the air box intake hole. He said that the RS ran better and got better gas mileage, 2 to 3 mpg. He also checked plugs and they looked good and he must clean the K&N air filter about every 10,000 to 15,000 miles.

Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just took out the air box last weekend, installed K&N air filters for the crankcase, idle and air intake. Runs awesome now, did it all for under $80.00. I had to do a little modifying to one but all went well and the bike runs so much cooler, the plastics are not as hot anymore. Also the best part is the extra power when above 4k rpm's, once the air gets flowing to the filters it is amazing. I plan on making some air tubes to force the air by the filter more. Also when the bike is idling it is much smoother.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tommyoneleg View Post
    I just took out the air box last weekend, installed K&N air filters for the crankcase, idle and air intake. Runs awesome now, did it all for under $80.00. I had to do a little modifying to one but all went well and the bike runs so much cooler, the plastics are not as hot anymore. Also the best part is the extra power when above 4k rpm's, once the air gets flowing to the filters it is amazing. I plan on making some air tubes to force the air by the filter more. Also when the bike is idling it is much smoother.
    What part numbers were the filters?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail View Post
    What part numbers were the filters?
    Crank Case air filter 62-1250

Idle air hose filter 62-1160

For the air intake I used RU-2920 - This is the one I had to do a little extra since the Dual Flanges are 16mm apart and I needed them about 6mm apart so I put a little metal strips held on by metal straps around them and I got just enough of an angle so they all hooked up, if you can see it in the pictures. And it just fit with about 4mm or 1/8 inch to spare on the height. I also cut my air box apart to have something to hook the flanges to.

I should have ordered the RD-4600 and had K&N reduce the height of it from 6.5 inches to 3 inches but the cost was to much for me. That is the one reason I did not order a kit already made and I have been doing stuff since 1985 when I first started racing bike back then.

Also I have a 2009 RS, if you need more pictures I have some more.
    Last edited by tommyoneleg; 07-17-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default intake tools

Yes back in the 08 GS days that was one of the first thing done along with K&N air filter Along with Two Bros or Hmf or other aftermarket exhaust..and 02 modifier.Those Tubes got put in the Junk Box....Still have mine somewhere in garage...OOPS

forgot about Performance plug wires and NGK Iridium plugs...

Freebob...
    Last edited by freebob; 07-17-2014 at 10:49 PM. Reason: add

Spyder Garage

Mo, I am very glad I stumbled upon this post. Tomorrow that thing is GONE!! I am going to at least shorten it, if not remove it all together. Thanks for the tip man! I'm tired of the popping on my Yoshi under decel.

Gonna miss you and Leslie at SITR this year. See ya around.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    Mo, I am very glad I stumbled upon this post. Tomorrow that thing is GONE!! I am going to at least shorten it, if not remove it all together. Thanks for the tip man! I'm tired of the popping on my Yoshi under decel.

Gonna miss you and Leslie at SITR this year. See ya around.
    I thing you will be suprised, not sure if it will help to just cut it down. Mine has been removed since March and the only possible reason I can see for it is maybe in heavy rain. I think it may have improved fuel mileage as well but not sure because I don't think I've ever checked my mileage. We barely found time to attend Spydefest this year, work has been crazy and kids getting stationed back stateside has our calendar full.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

I thing you will be suprised, not sure if it will help to just cut it down. Mine has been removed since March and the only possible reason I can see for it is maybe in heavy rain. I think it may have improved fuel mileage as well but not sure because I don't think I've ever checked my mileage. We barely found time to attend Spydefest this year, work has been crazy and kids getting stationed back stateside has our calendar full.
    I totally understand. I will do this tomorrow when I change the fuel filter. I've got a 2,000 mile round trip to CA next Friday. That will be a great test. Any issues with rain or water?
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue