Spyder Garage

Default SM5 question for those that shift w/o the clutch

What is the benefit? And, do you do it most of the time? Just curious as I have an SM5. Whatever the answer is, I'll probably still continue using the clutch.

Spyder Garage

Default Benefit..!!

none.. I do it from time to time if using the left for something else. Sometimes when just resting from wild twisted rydes. Then there are the times my foot gets ahead of my hand and it just happens. But when the gears and engine get to the same speed the shift is seamless. You can downshift as well but not as smooth needing higher rpms to make it mesh....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I do on occasion. I have the same issue Chupaca has, foot getting ahead of hand. When I had hand surgery on my left hand I shifted quite a bit w/o the clutch. Most times I use the clutch.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SHIFTING

...Trust me .......this will not do anything " GOOD " for your transmission. It's something that Drag Racers used to get an advantage ......but the cost could be PROHIBITIVE if get my drift.........Mike

Spyder Garage

When I had the SM5, I always used the clutch to shift. Likewise on all my previous two wheelers.

I am also in the camp where I can see potential damage to the clutch mechanism when by-passing it a lot.

I am open to an explanation why it will not damage the clutch mechanism though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If you can match RPMs, you can shift all you want, you won't harm a thing.

If you *can't* match RPMs, you'll wear on the gears. Odds are you'll be able to do this without wearing out the clutch over the life of the bike. Worst that can happen is you need a new clutch sooner (unless you're REALLY bad at it, and you'll need a new clutch FAR sooner).

So, caveat rider.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

This tip I learned from the "2wheeler" crowd. I always use the clutch, but I learned to "blip" the throttle when down shifting. Basically what this does it matches the speed of the clutch basket (the part of the clutch driven by the primary drive gear on the crankshaft) and the clutch "boss"(part of the clutched bolted onto the input shaft of the tranny) and makes for a much smoother down shift, plus it's less wear and tear on the drive train. it's a bit similar to semi truck transmissions wear the transmission has to be put momentarily in neutral and the engine is allowed to drop rpm's or be revved up to go into the next selected gear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It won't harm anything at all and can actually make for quicker shifting. It can actually be easier on the drive train

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    none.. I do it from time to time if using the left for something else. Sometimes when just resting from wild twisted rydes. Then there are the times my foot gets ahead of my hand and it just happens. But when the gears and engine get to the same speed the shift is seamless. You can downshift as well but not as smooth needing higher rpms to make it mesh....
    Well said; about the only time I don't use the clutch is in "brisk starts-turning left from a stop".

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

The only time I do it is when drag racing. Dump the clutch in 1st to get the rear wheel spinning and that's the last time I touch the clutch. Done right it will give you better times. Done right it won't hurt a thing.

Other than that I don't see much reason to do it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I upshift a lot w/o the clutch. You learn the sweet spot in the transmission shift points and it's way smoother when two up. Downshifting I use the clutch and blip the throttle, but if needed I can downshift w/o the clutch, too. Comes in handy sometimes. My sweetie crashed and damaged her clutch lever on the dirtbike, in Moab, and rode back to the trailhead w/o a clutch. (handy if you ever break a clutch lever or cable, or in the Spyder if you lose hydraulics on the clutch)
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

On my GS I upshift without the clutch only on occasion or racing. Smooth as silk 95% of the time as long as
    the rev's match.
    Given the amount of problems with the front sprockets coming loose and the splines wearing out on the older GS's, that other 5% and the little jerk you feel when you don't match the rev's perfectly may add up over time so I don't make it a habit.
    I find if your rev matching is even close, just feathering the clutch 1/2-3/4" works great and is always smooth. Down shifting is the same, blip the throttle and feather the clutch just enough to cushion the transfer of gears.