Spyder Garage

Smile Addition to my last MPG performance (not interested...do not open!)

Well, a week or so I ago I posted a thread after reading one from TEXAS about MPG. I am trying to figure out my new (to me) 2012 RT SE5.

Here is that thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...105#post807105

Anyway, today was a similar day to my previous post, except the winds were a few mph stronger today. All of the other data is the same as in my original post. This time I averaged 40.9 mpg over a 90 mile, very similar country road trip. No city/urban typical stop & go every few hundred yards, except for the 5-7 miles to get to & from the country roads.

I am getting ready for a 4000 mile trip, and am very pleased. Obviously the keys to mpg, are wind, stop & go, and consistent riding techniques. Just thought I'd share.

Smile & be happy, don't take life too seriously….
    Life moves pretty fast. Don't miss it!
    2016 F3 Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderjim View Post
    Well, a week or so I ago I posted a thread after reading one from TEXAS about MPG. I am trying to figure out my new (to me) 2012 RT SE5.

Anyway, today was a similar day to my previous post, except the winds were a few mph stronger today. All of the other data is the same as in my original post. This time I averaged 40.9 mpg over a 90 mile, very similar country road trip. No city/urban typical stop & go every few hundred yards, except for the 5-7 miles to get to & from the country roads.

I am getting ready for a 4000 mile trip, and am very pleased. Obviously the keys to mpg, are wind, stop & go, and consistent riding techniques. Just thought I'd share.
    Why are you so concerned about MPG? Enjoy the ride ,make more gas stops get to your destination better rested soo's you can drink more "Barley Sandwiche's"

Throw a gallon can in the left saddlebag for piece of mind.

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My post from last week i said would try to beat that, no go , work stopped me
    I wil have to give it a try some time in the future

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderjim View Post

Must be 1 heck of a tail wind with that kind of MPG. Best I have seen is 34 with windshield all the way down. how many gallons did it take? Average 28 overall! but Im ready to stop when tank is close to empty anyways

Spyder Garage

We can get 50 mpg riding the country roads 2-up on out RT SM5, running 50 mph in 4th gear, with the cruise on. Have done it more than once.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Default You did not read my TITLE

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Why are you so concerned about MPG? Enjoy the ride ,make more gas stops get to your destination better rested soo's you can drink more "Barley Sandwiche's"

Throw a gallon can in the left saddlebag for piece of mind.
    If you don't care about MPG...DON"T OPEN THE THREAD! This is the second time I need to indicate that MPG is not my main concern, but it is what I want to know. If you don't care fine, ride and enjoy.

2016 F3 Limited , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I find your reports interesting; Thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'm not complaining about the mileage, but I can tell you that out west, if you stop every couple of hours, you might not be anywhere near a gas station! That is why the improved range of the '14 is so nice for touring riders!

Spyder Garage

Congratulations Jim! This does surprise me, as I've never seen a report on the 998 being able to consistently get that good of mileage. No matter which model, you're right about the riding techniques. Are you tracking every tank? I constantly update my thread with every tank of fuel since I purchased the RT. I write down my mileage on my receipt, and then enter the data on the thread within the next couple of days. It’s nice to be able to go back and look at the history at a glance.

Today I get my shorty shield, so this weekend's rides will be with the new shield. I'm anxious to see what kind of difference (if any) it makes.
    -Texas

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

you know if you get the code app for your smart phone you can keep the mileage and gals. right in the app.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
    Today I get my shorty shield, so this weekend's rides will be with the new shield. I'm anxious to see what kind of difference (if any) it makes.
    It can't help; but help!

Waiting patiently...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default I use Fuelly.com to log mpg

Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
    Congratulations Jim! This does surprise me, as I've never seen a report on the 998 being able to consistently get that good of mileage. No matter which model, you're right about the riding techniques. Are you tracking every tank? I constantly update my thread with every tank of fuel since I purchased the RT. I write down my mileage on my receipt, and then enter the data on the thread within the next couple of days. It’s nice to be able to go back and look at the history at a glance.

Here is my page: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/spiderjim/spyder-rts

2016 F3 Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JkRbbt View Post
    I'm not complaining about the mileage, but I can tell you that out west, if you stop every couple of hours, you might not be anywhere near a gas station! That is why the improved range of the '14 is so nice for touring riders!
    And that is why I want to understand how mine does with mpg. I have travelled west on two wheels on numerous occasions, actually all over the country on two wheels, too many times to count. Last Year Nova Scotia and back (from Chicago), Washington State, down 101 to Los Angeles, to Glacier National, all over the west. I understand about the possible "far & few" gas stations.

2016 F3 Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcoulter19 View Post
    you know if you get the code app for your smart phone you can keep the mileage and gals. right in the app.
    I have it....it's a cool way to log on the road.

2016 F3 Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    Must be 1 heck of a tail wind with that kind of MPG. Best I have seen is 34 with windshield all the way down. how many gallons did it take? Average 28 overall! but Im ready to stop when tank is close to empty anyways
    Not really. This was a round trip.....not one way. If wind at my back for 45 miles.....it was in my face for 45 miles on the return. Actually the wind was SW just like the 43mpg ride. And both trips were traveled going north, east, west, then south. 90 miles 2.2 gallons

2016 F3 Limited , Black