Spyder Garage

Default Kumho Ecsta rear tire pressure

I'm having a Kumho rear tire installed on Wednesday. BRP recommends 28 psi for the stock rear. Was wondering if anyone else that has this tire runs it at 28 since it is the same size as OEM, or does another psi work better with the Kumho?

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 "Rusty"

Spyder Garage

I have mine at 30 psi. But you may want to experiment. Start at 28 then see..... just saying.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default KUMHO

I've been using car tires for a few years now on my Spyders, Kumho & Federal Altimax......I have a GS and an RSS , I ride solo and usually go with 20 lbs. cold ........These tire 's have much stiffer sidewalls so they ride better on less pressure ............JMHO.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default RECOMMENDED PRESURE

so i've been using the Michelin Hydroedge I bought after 9200 miles (now at almost 28000) running 28 psi, but the manufacturers give recommended pressures based on the vehicles they designed them to run on, cars, at 35. Bought some Futuras from Pepboys for the fronts designed to run at least 32, and I run them at 18, just so it's not like a buckboard. Curious what others have to say about running tires at lower pressures than manufacturers suggest.
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

you should start with the recommended pressure and then find what works best for you. If big boned plus weight of RT compared to small compact you could split the difference on tire recommended pressure. But running on the lower side would seem best..jmho...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Which Kumho tire did you buy, exactly? I understand it's the Ecsta, but does it have a product number or something?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    Which Kumho tire did you buy, exactly? I understand it's the Ecsta, but does it have a product number or something?

I believe that it is the Kumho Ecsta AST
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Yes, it's the Ecsta in the same size as the OEM tire.

Spyder Garage

Default KUMHO

i'm on my 2nd KUMHO 225 50 R15...
    i have over 30,000 miles on these KUMHO's, and i run 22 psi...
    depending on your ride, whether it be an RS or RT... depending on how you ride, depending on if you are 1 up or 2 up... there are alot of factors... you need to vary your psi dependent on how you ride...
    i always ride 1 up on my RS, with little additional weight and 22 psi fits that combination...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dubld View Post
    I'm having a Kumho rear tire installed on Wednesday. BRP recommends 28 psi for the stock rear. Was wondering if anyone else that has this tire runs it at 28 since it is the same size as OEM, or does another psi work better with the Kumho?
    28 lps 8k on it perfect wear

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post
    so i've been using the Michelin Hydroedge I bought after 9200 miles (now at almost 28000) running 28 psi, but the manufacturers give recommended pressures based on the vehicles they designed them to run on, cars, at 35. Bought some Futuras from Pepboys for the fronts designed to run at least 32, and I run them at 18, just so it's not like a buckboard. Curious what others have to say about running tires at lower pressures than manufacturers suggest.
    How is the fit on the Futuras? Any issues with width, the fenders?
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 "Rusty"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I run 28 in mine; one up – two up – with or without trailer… All the same. Wears and handles fine.

equivalent Kumhos on the front; 28 also.

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyder Garage

Futuras fit a little tight, helped to remove the mudflaps but no rubbing. PepBoys pointed out the rims appear to be slightly warped taking it to dealer tomorrow to let them look at them. Also noticed oil on my rear shock like seal is leaking see if they'll warrant it to. Wish me luck!

Living the dream while I still can!
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post
    Futuras fit a little tight, helped to remove the mudflaps but no rubbing. PepBoys pointed out the rims appear to be slightly warped taking it to dealer tomorrow to let them look at them. Also noticed oil on my rear shock like seal is leaking see if they'll warrant it to. Wish me luck!

Living the dream while I still can!
    Good luck!
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Default Kumhos today

4500 miles on the OEM tires on our 2014 RT LIM. OEMS were just getting to the wear bars in the center. Did not look so bad but we are going on a long cross country ride possibly 10K and would rather not have to break off from the group to get a tire changed.

the dealer set the pressure at 28 lbs. per the OEM speck.

No problem getting the dealer to do tire, mount , balance, new valve, buds (no codes).

Tire $81.00
    dealer parts and labor $121.00
    Packed, gassed and ready to roll.

mike S
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    2012 RT Limited Lava (traded 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Utopia Backrest, Hi mounter tail light, FZ1 fuse box, aux power outlet, CB and Gerbing outlets
    2014 RT Limited Cognac (purchased 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Spyder Backrest, 2012 CB and Gerbing outlets
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dubld View Post
    Have run 28 in Kumho s on three Spyders now with great success - 30000 plus miles on first two, 10000 so far on this one with no visible wear I also run 22 in my front tire federals replacement for the OEM and they also look great after 10000
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A word of advice to all, tire brand will never change recommended tire pressure, i find the tire is so so stupid it
    never knows what it is installed on so the vehicle dictates pressure.

Spyder Garage

The BRP suggested pressure is based on the tire construction and engineering targets for sidewall flex, ride quality, handling, etc. So when we install a tire with more layers (plies) it is going to be stiffer for any given pressure. These automotive tires we are using are going to be rated for more weight, so there is less of a concern of them running hot if we run them at lower pressures to maintain a similar sidewall flex and ride quality feel.

Therefore I am of the opinion you would generally not want to run a 4-ply at a higher pressure than the BRP suggested 2-ply 28 lbs, and it would be perfectly acceptable to run much less, but nothing lower than 20 IMO. Going lower than 28 is going to even out the wear some and not trash the center section as quickly as a higher pressure, this has been my experience with the many different types of auto tires I have used (Kumho, Maxxis, Toyo), but does not help the junk Kenda much at all, that thing just balloons out at high speed regardless of pressure. Right now I am running 25 on a Toyo (2013 ST-S) and a Maxxis (2008 GS). The Toyo is by far the better tire of all of these I have tried, the Kumho was OK but lacked traction, I burned through two of them and moved on.

Now for the front tires, going higher on the pressure with an OEM tire will quicken or sharpen up the handling response and even reduce body roll, but to install an automotive tire and also go higher in pressure would really stiffen them up, maybe to the point of harshness. I can not imagine going to a 4-ply AND running higher pressures, but to each their own. Again, I would go on the low side with a stiffer tire, but not as much. 15 lbs. in an automotive front tire should feel OK, but anything over 20 might really feel harsh. The OEM specs are the good starting point, understanding that if you have installed a firmer tire with more plies it will feel firmer at the same pressure as the OE tire.

As for the 15" Federal EVO tires up front, that is a "drifter" tire and is well-known for very firm sidewalls. Chances are it would ride harsh even with 15 pounds, and it is not well rated for wet conditions. I was be cautious with that tire........especially in the rain. Just realize the different design criteria, it does not seem to be a good engineering match with our lighter vehicles where we want maximum grip and traction. IMO.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD