Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I also thought it was a good idea. and I bought one too. But I got a different model. Still made by Bell #05901-8 : it expands (telescopes) 2 3/4" to 4 1/2". The key is in a sheath that slides in the main holder. So it is a little extra protected from thr magnet.

Spyder Garage

I locked both keys in my trunk. After taking panels off and finding the trunk release cable. I used electrical tape to hide a key. Not as fancy as you guys but will work if I ever do that again. Do you think the heat will melt the tape eventually?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder08 View Post
    Do you think the heat will melt the tape eventually?
    It can, depending on where you have taped the key. FWIW, I wouldn't depend on electrical tape to hold the spare key in place. Even if heat didn't melt the tape, it can cause the adhesive to get gooey and slip.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    It can, depending on where you have taped the key. FWIW, I wouldn't depend on electrical tape to hold the spare key in place. Even if heat didn't melt the tape, it can cause the adhesive to get gooey and slip.
    Same for duct tape, etc. I would safety wire it to the frame somewhere, or to a similar object. Then I would tape over (or under) that. Harder to get off and use, but it would be there when you need it. If the key had a hole, you could tether it before you taped it down. Not actually necessary now that you know where to find the release cable, and are sure it works by pulling on it. Mine did not, so I installed a secondary release cable. Easy job, one hour including the trip to the hardware store.
    -Scotty

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Putt-Putt View Post
    Anybody think of using a automotive choke cable like the old cars used, or maybe one from a motorcycle or 4-wheeler.
    Yes, and it works well. But Scotty's aircraft cable and tubing idea is simpler and apparently works slick, too.

Spyder Garage

Cool

I never ride without having both keys with me. One in ignition and one always in my pocket.
    Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

]Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I hope the magnet doesn't adversly affect the chip in your key. Magnets and computer media don't usually get along to well together.
    -Scotty

there is a chip in the key?? I drilled a hole in the key to put all the stuff I need on it, and it works fine.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SethO View Post
    there is a chip in the key?? I drilled a hole in the key to put all the stuff I need on it, and it works fine.
    You got lucky. Some have ruined their keys this way.
    -Scotty

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you are at all like me, half of your truck bed--when it's "empty"--is filled with tools and implements...Just in case.

"Bolt cutter? Sure, I have some. What size? Another folding chair? Well, let's see, I think I have five more...And did you want the chain, the tow rope, the tow strap, the comealong, or the webbing...?"

So for the Spyder I think I will add the emergency release cable with sheath (Thanks, BRPJunkie and Scotty)

and the magnetic key holder (Thanks, vtrider and Putt-Putt)

in addition to having my passenger always carry a spare key (that one I figgered out on my own, spyder1!)

as well as keeping the keys in the slipcase attached to a keyring on a lanyard on my neck. No quick release on the lanyard:

We've discussed before, but if that case material is Kydex like for knife sheaths and pistol holsters, it's not going to lose it's coefficient of friction with the key metal surface anytime soon.

"...Claw hammer? Yup. Got six of them. Ask the trunk monkeys. Got two of those, too..."
    Last edited by jeuchler; 07-14-2009 at 11:54 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Just a Thought

Keeping a spare key on the Spyder means that there is a chip within communication distance all the time. Does this open any theft opportunity doors that weren't there before Even for those that don't know a spare key is on the Spyder. My significant other carriers the spare key. I have an emergency trunk release. If I'm alone I'm up the creek if I misplace the key.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

Default After a little thought ( a week or so ) . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by vtrider View Post
    I have had this concern myself with locking the keys in my trunk, because I always remove my key everywhere I go and put it in the key holder that was provided with the key, which I attached to my jacket zipper for convienence. Many times especially when its hot out I put my jacket in the trunk when I go shopping, stop at convenience stores or whatever. If I forget the key that wouldn't be a good thing.
    I like some of the ideas that some of you have posted here, but my other concern is what if I just happen to lose my key some place and never find it? I wanted a way to carry my spare key on the spyder where I can access it when I need it. I searched around and found these key lockers made by Bell which I purchased at Advanced Auto Parts. They come with a magnetic back which can be held on any metal surface. This seems to work well for me. Here are some pictures to show what I have done.

Key lockers came in a package of two for about $3.00 at Advanced Auto Parts. I did have to file and sand down some of the molding on the handle of the spare key so it would fit in the case, because the key was a little too large to fit. These have a flip top lid that hold the key secure and in place.

The key locker also has a pin molded in place on the bottom edge where you can add a cable, key chain, ect. I added a zip tie for now, but plan to add a spring or a cable to attach it too the spyder.

I stuck the key locker on the back edge of the oil tank which gives it a convenient location to have access to it, yet is still somewhat hidden under the pined panel. I attached the zip tie through the hole that is on the end of the oil tank. As I stated, I plan to replace the zip tie and maybe add a spring or cable here instead. This will keep the key locker from falling if you happen to drop it when taking it off the oil tank or should it fall off for some reason. Although, the magnetic holder really works well and seems to be very secure on the oil tank.

When you need to have access to the spare key, there is no need to remove the panel. Just reach under, pull the key locker out and remove the key.

I really like vtrider's idea and would only add this; have a spare key made and use that to open the trunk in emergency situations. Not having the chip, it would not start the Spyder, but would allow you to open the trunk.
    If you wanted to carry your Spyder spare, conceal that in the trunk.

Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Neez View Post
    Yes, and it works well. But Scotty's aircraft cable and tubing idea is simpler and apparently works slick, too.
    Great ideas -- thanks! It took all of 10 minutes to rig up.

Now all I have to do is remember where I park

Rod.

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Spyder Garage

I wonder if there is a key blank that fits the spyder it could be cut to fit,would not start the engine but would get you into the front or rear trunk.If some one found it at least they couldnt steal the spyder

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    I wonder if there is a key blank that fits the spyder it could be cut to fit,would not start the engine but would get you into the front or rear trunk.If some one found it at least they couldnt steal the spyder
    I have one like that. I believe it is a triumph blank. Any locksmith shop should be able to match up a key blank if they carry a good selection of keys.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Director View Post
    And once you have an emergency trunk release in place, you might want to consider installing the trunk monkey option:

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

Cheers,

Bruce
    I want one
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Scotty, Is there any that you can put a pic or two of this mod up here for those of us whose mind's eyes aren't quite sharp enough to enivsion this?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    I really like vtrider's idea and would only add this; have a spare key made and use that to open the trunk in emergency situations. Not having the chip, it would not start the Spyder, but would allow you to open the trunk.
    If you wanted to carry your Spyder spare, conceal that in the trunk.

Tom
    I also use a Bell key holder attached to the oil tank. Just one word of caution- double check the tightness of the magnet. I put it on the tank and then removed it to see how strong the magnet was and the magnet came out of the holder. I used JB Weld to reset the magnet in the holder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    I want one
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Scotty, Is there any that you can put a pic or two of this mod up here for those of us whose mind's eyes aren't quite sharp enough to enivsion this?
    I am not aware of a way to put an emergency trunk release on the RT. It has a bearclaw latch, and the cable and lever are not exposed, like the RS. I did not have one on mine, only on Nancy's RS. For the RT, I carried an extra key.

BTW, I would be reluctant to show details of this mod on the Internet, for security reasons. You can PM me for details, but there are a lot of ways to skin this cat on an RS.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I never put my spyder in "lock" position. Consequently, my glove compartment will open. I've taken some gorrilla tape and taped my spare key to the underside of the glove box plate. Since you can't open that all the way, you can't tell what is on the under side.

Chris PE# 0004

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I never put my spyder in "lock" position. Consequently, my glove compartment will open. I've taken some gorrilla tape and taped my spare key to the underside of the glove box plate. Since you can't open that all the way, you can't tell what is on the under side.

Chris PE# 0004
    The probable bad news on that is that the spare key is probably close enough to the security processor to turn it "on/off". Just some mechanical lock fiddling would then start the Spyder.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    The probable bad news on that is that the spare key is probably close enough to the security processor to turn it "on/off". Just some mechanical lock fiddling would then start the Spyder.

-Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Red face aircraft cable and tube

Ok you guys, where do you get such a thing as a aircraft cable when you live in a very small rural town???? And the tube-- I also need more specific instructions as I am a newbie to the Spyder too!!!! And a older lady to boot!!! Can you all help me on this and I also want to know what you use to polish Can-Am and what grade fuel? My new dealer says for first ? Lemon Pledge and second ? reg. gas with no additives and I have always had to put additives in the WInter in my bikes- Hondas, past HD's and past Suzuki.
    Joan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JoanJenn View Post
    Ok you guys, where do you get such a thing as a aircraft cable when you live in a very small rural town???? And the tube-- I also need more specific instructions as I am a newbie to the Spyder too!!!! And a older lady to boot!!! Can you all help me on this and I also want to know what you use to polish Can-Am and what grade fuel? My new dealer says for first ? Lemon Pledge and second ? reg. gas with no additives and I have always had to put additives in the WInter in my bikes- Hondas, past HD's and past Suzuki.
    Joan
    Aircraft cable and polyethylene or nylon tubing are available at hardware stores or home centers, as are the crimp fittings for the cable. I'm sure they would also be available online.

I like the Turtle Wax Ice products for cleaning and polishing, as they do not leave a white residue, so can be used on almost anything. Lots of people like Lemon Pledge, but I recommend that you do not use it on the windshield. Plain or soapy water (a wet towel) or Windex Multi-purpose with Vinegar (do not use regular Windex with ammonia) work well on the windshield, without causing "rainbows" when you wear a faceshield or sunglasses. Non-abrasive plastic polishes like Plexus work well for windshields, too. Everyone seems to have their own favorite cleaner and polish.

The Spyder RS specifies regular gas, the RT recommends premium. The recommendations are in your manual. Whetehr or not to follow the BRP recommendations is up to you. I do not use additives, except when in storage or infrequent use (like winter), when I use a fuel stabilizer like Stabil or SeaFoam.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JoanJenn View Post
    Joan
    To each their own, as they say. I prefer Honda brand spray polish fir wverything, no problems for two years, but I wash the bike first. I have tried on a dusty surface as they say you can.
    OldManZues.
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Braided cable may be available at a good boat supply store. Look for cable rigging for sail boats. West Marine is nation wide and they have a website. Aircraft Spruce would be another good source http://www.aircraftspruce.com/ but they may be more expensive.